The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 20, 2008, 10:34 AM   #1
TheHunger

A technical challenge...

Hi Guys.

I have a bit of a technical challenge on my hands here... I have a Remington Magnum Wingmaster 870 that has been deactivated, and so now it's only purpose is as a museum display piece. I would like to change the wooden forend on it for one in better condition. Sound simple? Not in this case. The barrel and magazine tube are pinned and welded to the receiver, so that means that I cannot remove the forend in the usual manner, as I cannot remove the barrel. (Nor would i want to, as it would be illegal to do so). So my question is this:

Is there any way that I can get the old forend off and replace it with a new one?

Any help will be very greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Old September 20, 2008, 12:00 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Since it won't be used and assuming the display shows only one side, perhaps you could use a fine saw or a Dremel tool to cut the forearm lengthwise on the hidden side and remove it. Then you could cut the new one the same way and put it on, using glue to fill the cut.

Jim
Old September 20, 2008, 12:44 PM   #3
TheHunger

Thanks for your reply. It's certainly an option, but one I'd like to think would be a last resort. I don't mind cutting the old one off, but would there be a way to get the new one on without havng to cut it also?
Old September 20, 2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Since the barrel is welded on, there's no way to get the forearm off without cutting it.

The forearm is normally removed by unscrewing the round slotted nut inside the front end.
With the barrel in place and the barrel support ring in front of the forearm, there's simply no way to get to the nut.
With the nut in place, there's no way to remove OR install the forearm unless you cut it in half.
Old September 20, 2008, 11:38 PM   #5
blu97

I have to ask, where are you that it is illegal to take the barrel off an 870 shotgun?
Old September 21, 2008, 04:06 AM   #6
TheHunger

OK guys, thanks for the input. It seems that I will have to do some work on the exisiting forend and then refinish it, if I cannot install a new one without also cutting it.

In answer to the question about barrel removal, it is not illegal to remove the barrel from a fully functioning 870, but once it has been deactivated, it is impossible to remove the barrel or magazine tube without removing the steel pin and welds. To do this is an imprisonable offence here in the UK. This method of deactivation ensures that the gun still has a working action, but prevents the chambering or loading of shells, and also prevents replacement of the barrel and magazine tube, so that it cannot be re-activated. Other measures are also taken as follows: The barrel has a groove cut logitudinally on the underside where it cannot be seen, the first 6'' of the barrel is plugged with a hard carbon steel rod, and the breech bolt is ground away at a 45 degree angle. Last of all, the firing pin is ground down.

Last edited by TheHunger; September 21, 2008 at 04:07 AM. Reason: More info added
Old September 30, 2008, 09:26 AM   #7
Buzzard Bait

What a Shame

Sad to think of a fine gun being deactivated. Sort of like neutering a fine bull or scaring a beautiful model's face. Yes what a shame.

Buzzard Bait