The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2005, 09:51 AM   #1
tjhands

What do you think of these bullets?

Found these on ebay. They'd be used in my Glock 20. I have a KKM aftermarket barrel, which is tighter (more supported) than the stock barrel.

Being FMJ, these bullets should feed pretty well in my barrel, dontcha think?

The last batch of these on ebay sold for $59 plus $8 to ship. An excellent price, if the bullets are of even mediocre qualtiy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1000-180gr-FP-10...QQcmdZViewItem
Old September 16, 2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Jeeper

I dont know of that brand but they are obviously plated. For a couple more bucks you can get Zero's from www.ghostholster.com.

He sells 2000 shipped for 143
Old September 16, 2005, 10:39 AM   #3
tjhands

So, do they NOT have a metal jacket then? It says in the ad that they are TMJ. Doesn't plated mean that they are just sprayed with a slick copper?
Old September 16, 2005, 11:16 AM   #4
Jeeper

Normally FMJ's have an exposed lead base due to the jacketing process. You can tell looking at the picture that they are plated and not jacketed. I dont think it is possible to jacket an entire pistol bullet. Plating is just a cheaper way to get a copper exterior. I have used some plated bullets that were really good. I cant tell you about these.
Old September 16, 2005, 11:18 AM   #5
tjhands

Hmmmm, I thought all my FMJ and JHP Hornadys were jacketed on the bottoms, too. Maybe not though!

If I knew whether these would feed, I'd prolly give em a try.
Old September 16, 2005, 11:23 AM   #6
Jeeper

JHP's are jacketed on the bottom since they can get the lead in through the top which is exposed. Some FMJ's have a cap inserted into the bottom which covers the lead.
Old September 16, 2005, 12:09 PM   #7
tjhands

Makes sense and sounds right.
Old September 18, 2005, 08:59 PM   #8
beardking

Jeeper,
I hate to disagree with you but I'm pretty sure that those bullets are fully jacketed. I'm not sure how they do it, but I do know that Speer makes TMJ bullets and they say that it's a true jacketed bullet.

Tjhands, hurry up and buy those and give us a range report on them. I've been looking at those for a while now and just never have the money to order when I happen across the auction.
Old September 18, 2005, 10:10 PM   #9
impact

A real close look at the bullet and they look like Rainier bullets or the like. This is just IMHO but I think bulk Remington or Winchester bullets are better for around the same price. I don't much care for copper plated bullets when it comes to accuracy.
Old September 18, 2005, 10:29 PM   #10
Jim Watson

Speer says things that are not so. Their TMJ bullets are made by copper plating a lead core. True, their plating is thicker and their dimensions are controlled better to where they are about as good as real jacketed - consider the popularity of Gold Dots which are made the same way and the hollowpoints punched through the plating - but the ebay bullets look like Raniers. Which I have had mediocre to poor luck with.