The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Best basic single stage?
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme ($129.99) 68 36.76%
Lyman Crusher II ($121.99) 5 2.70%
Lee Classic Cast ($85.99) 76 41.08%
Redding Boss ($115.99) 20 10.81%
Hornady Lock-n-Load Classic ($131.99) 16 8.65%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 29, 2012, 06:34 PM   #51
hounddawg

Gotta admit if the bushings ever wear out on my Lee single I am buying one of those CH4D machines. Not that I think it would load ammo any better than the Lee but just cause I like the looks. That thing oozes quality
Old December 29, 2012, 10:15 PM   #52
yetavon

I had to vote Lee...but its the only thing I have used for 16 years.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:21 PM   #53
jmortimer

Not surprised that Lee Precision "crushed" the competition. With the Classic Cast and Classic Turret, Lee Precision has done us all right.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:06 PM   #54
Sevens

Quote:
Redding Boss - Superior fit, finish, tolerances, solid and a bargain. It costs $30 more than Lee, but is worth two times as much.
That's a good looking unit and I've never seen anything out of Redding that wasn't high in quality. I also think they sell it at a very competitive price, especially considering that most items they market go for quite a premium over others.

However, it's spent primer system doesn't match up with the Classic Cast, it's not ambidextrous as is the Classic Cast, and it doesn't offer the ability to use the larger diameter dies such as the .50 BMG or the ones Snuffy shows in his picture.

I also don't like the handle at all, and much prefer the wooden ball on the Lee Classic Cast, though CrustyFN's billiard ball makes all the rest pretenders.

The best part of the Classic Cast that isn't ever mentioned is the terrific adjustment range of it's operating handle. You can swiftly and easily change precisely where it sits to give you the choice of leverage or shorter throw and I've moved it many times depending on the job. Can't do that with most other single stage presses, definitely can't do it with the Redding Boss.

Of course, you can upgrade to the Redding Big Boss, and then you can get most of those things. Ball handle, larger frame, larger window of operation, larger ram and you can use the larger dies and they also use the better primer collection system via tube through ram to collection.

But you still don't get the adjustable, ambidextrous handle system.

The Big Boss is, IMO, an even better deal than the Redding Boss, but it also loses out to the Lee Classic Cast.

All are made in the USA, though. I'm sure any of the three would last a lifetime.
Old December 30, 2012, 08:21 AM   #55
hooligan1

I have yet to wear out my ole Lyman "Orange Crusher", it may or may not be better than the afore mentioned, but in my lifetime it will never be replaced.
I haven't looked at other presses because this one is still fine, and we load quite a few rounds through the thing.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:01 PM   #56
reynolds357

I use a Rockchucker. Had a Lyman crusher that served me well for many years. Wore it out and bought the Chucker used.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:26 PM   #57
William T. Watts

Rockchucker is hard to beat, rugged, will probably last longer than you! William
Old January 2, 2013, 12:25 AM   #58
totaldla

None of those - especially not the RCBS excrement.

The Lee Classic Turret is the only intelligent entry-level press today.
Old January 2, 2013, 01:06 AM   #59
Romeo 33 Delta

I have an OLD RockChucker and a new Lee Cast Classic. I've moved my RC over to "normal" resizing duties ... the CC is now my BFH for my wildcat reforming projects.
Old January 2, 2013, 06:43 AM   #60
jwrowland77

Hornady or RCBS...and if you're looking for one, Natchez has all their reloading equipment on sale right now. The Hornady classic kit is selling for $259.99 and the RCBS kit for I believe $289.99.