The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 30, 2005, 09:57 PM   #51
DimitriS

MPP,

Thanks for the reply .

I want to learn about BP rifles but I am going to have to wait for the purchase of the rifle seeing as I need to save up for it as well as pay for the costs of college.

Tell me do any of you use your BP rifle on game ?? Its legal here and I figure since they used to kill animals with it it should be possible be today. What do you think ??

So any tips would be greatly appericated.

Dimitri

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Firing Line ID 30083
Old November 30, 2005, 10:44 PM   #52
armedandsafe

I get my beeswax from old fashioned toilet seals. If you look around, you can still find the ones with real bees wax, rather than the newer poly/petro wax.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old November 30, 2005, 10:55 PM   #53
Steve499

They work fine on game, DimitriS. You have to pay a little more attention to details than with a modern firearm but that's one of the things we all seem to like.
I, too, was saving up for a Whitworth when my head was turned by an M-1 Garand, so now I have to start saving again. If you get one, be sure to keep us all posted on how it shoots. I think one of those would just about equal the performance of many modern rifles, given the type of bullet it uses. As far as powder goes, one of the reasons the Whitworth wasn't adopted as a regular issue for military use was due to the rapid fouling it was apparently prone to do. It is safe to say that a replica Whitworth will foul up as rapidly as the originals if you use regular black powder. There are black powder substitutes, like Kevin's 777, which may reduce that somewhat. I just figured that I could clean between shots on the range and when hunting. If I have to use something in a battle, I have an old Garand............

Steve
Old November 30, 2005, 11:41 PM   #54
DimitriS

Steve499,

I have read about the fauling problem and that seems to happen because of how Whitworth bullets are formed to fit without a air gap in the barrel with the rifling so the barrel would just be able to move up and down freely without any play.

They also cost quite abit more compared to other rifles too at that time they cost as much now as they did then almost!

If I can get 2 shots off it without much fauling then its fine by me I dont honestly execpt to take a 2nd shot at a animal anyways.

What brands sell Original black powder though ?? I have been looking around but I dont see many that state "Real" or "Substatue" Mind you I do like the idea of cleaning the rifle with boiling water. But dont most black powder guns just clean with plain old hot water ??

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 1, 2005, 12:15 AM   #55
gmatov

Dmitri,

Plain very hot water will do, the hotter it is, the faster it will evaporate, but does not have to be boiling. From the barrel, that is, it will need less drying with some other heat

Put some dish liquid in the water, mebbe more than you would in a sinkful to do the dishes, clean away.

Cheers,

George
Old December 1, 2005, 02:32 AM   #56
MPP1423

Dimitris,
Goex Is Real Powder.and Yes All Will Clean W/hot Water But I ,myself,think The 777 Cleans Easier.but There Are Some Diehards On Here That Swear By Real Powder Instead Of The Subs And Thats Ok Cause Thats What Its All About Is We All Are A Little Different But Still Have The Same Fun.and Dont Count On Not Getting That Second Shot! I Have Had Boo Boo's Where I Needed A Second Shot And Got It Right The Second Time.you Just Never Know.
Old December 1, 2005, 06:10 AM   #57
Low Key

From what I have seen myself a blackpowder rifle will equal and sometimes exceed the performance of modern rifles over short range. The drawback is slow re-loads, but bp rifles definitely do have the stopping power you need for taking game. MPP1423 is right too, don't count out that second shot...I've seen top notch shooters miss a chip shot and then have to pick their jaw up off the ground to re-load for a second try!
In some places it's hard to find real black powder. Goex, swiss, and elephant are all real bp and 777, pyrodex, american pioneer, and black mag are bp substitutes. They will probably be easier to get, as most bp shops sell them. Personally I have some 777, pyrodex, and goex and use all three for different things but my guns don't seem to have a preference for one over the other. 777 does give you less fouling for sure, but goex has that great sulphur smell!
Old December 1, 2005, 11:15 AM   #58
DimitriS

MPP,

Ok after I get used to reloading I'll not count the 2nd shot out completly

LowKey,

Thanks for the list of powders, and I realize that most BP shooters go for the substatues because they are easier to clean. Most hunters I know that even have considered BP rifles as hunting rifles all want or have thouse new inlines and think with thouse Hornady LNL sabots and powder they cant shoot as many times as they want.

I want to remain more traditional with the BP rifle compared to most I know. Its just me but if I wanted a modern rifle/equipment for a hunt I wouldnt use a BP rifle, thouse new inlines and thouse ones that look like bolt action rifles just ruin it for me.

Well we will see how this goes I'll probrobly end up looking for some Geox because alot of you seem to prefer that and I want to stick to a sure thing when I start off, Plus real black powder is supposed to smell like sulfur isnt it ??

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 1, 2005, 02:21 PM   #59
Low Key

DimitriS,
I know what you're saying about the bp rifles. I have one of the inlines that looks like a bolt action myself, (cva hunterbolt that I shoot powerbelt lead bullets through), but I like the traditional style as well. Id like to have one of the Hawken replica's that cabela's sells and may get one sometime next year.

IMO I think that the old round patched ball can do as much or more damage that a modern hollowpoint bullet. The round ball doesn't behave like the hollow point on impact, the way it was explained to me, (thanks Remington Kid), is that on impact the round ball flattens out so that nearly 50% of it's surface area is in contact with the target and then it flips over and over and tears a huge wound channel. The round ball was good enough to dispatch a lot of critters in it's day and it still deseves a healthy respect today.
Old December 1, 2005, 05:45 PM   #60
DimitriS

LowKey,

Thanks for the reply

Check this out: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/....php?p=1771193

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 2, 2005, 12:14 AM   #61
gmatov

DmitriS,

SInce you are shooting a BP rifle maybe twice at a deer sized animal, you don't have to worry about cleaning. You will get 2 or 3 or 4 shots off, then clean.

I think I would shoot Goex, the closest thing to real Black Powder, for the result and for the sulphur smell.

Clean with hot water and dish soap when you are done for the day.

Cheers,

George
Old December 2, 2005, 07:59 PM   #62
DimitriS

gmatov,

Thanks for the reply

Does anyone have a preffarnce of dish soap to use ??

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 2, 2005, 08:22 PM   #63
Remington kid

In the field nothing beats a good old cotton patch after you place it in your mouth and chew on it a spell so that it's good and wet. Run the patch down the bore with your ram rod and jag a couple of times and then one dry patch. Clean out the nipple hole with your pick and reload and your good to go.The acid in your saliva cuts black powder like it was nothing.
When you get home you can give a good cleaning with moose milk or dish soap or windex and many other solutions.They are all the "best" depending on who you ask Moose milk is really great. Juat mix machinest oil with 7 parts water, some people like to use Balistol gun oil. If mixed right it will be the color of milk . It cleans and lubes at the same time and you will get no rust.
That's just a few ideas and you will find many more.
You may even want to concider building your own from a kit. Maybe a .50 or .58 Hawkin style. Not hard to do and a great winter project that you can take pride in while learning a lot of things about the muzzle loader and the way it was.
If you need to get in the mood just get a hold of the movie "Jeramia Johnson" that should get your heart pumpen and give you a hankeren to build a Hawkin so's you can keep your scalp, pilgrim.
Old December 2, 2005, 08:38 PM   #64
DimitriS

Oh thats cool Remington "Kid"

Anyways thanks for the tips *writes them down in his notebook* As for the rifle I am saving up for a Whitworth from Dixie.

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 2, 2005, 09:39 PM   #65
Remington kid

Whitworth! Thats a good one for sure. Have a good one and get that movie . If you haven't seen it you will want to see it several times
Old December 2, 2005, 09:53 PM   #66
DimitriS

Remington kid,

I'll look for that movie. I'll get the gun maybe in May or June I think it will take for me to save up for it and still have enough to pay for college.

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083