The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1
jersurf101

140 grn Barnes TAC XP

I was given these bullets in their original packaging and am having a hard time finding any data with the powders I have which are Unique, Bullseye and Clays. I would prefer to use unique as that is what my plinking load uses in .40sw.From what i can see these are long for their weight and a 180 HP powder charge or possibly 165 grn would be more appropriate. Any thoughts on real data sources? I normally use Lyman 49, Speer, or Lee data. Lee data always seems hot to me.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks
Old May 23, 2013, 05:52 PM   #2
mmb713

Barnes bullets should only be used with their data. They are solid copper, that is why they are longer than a same weight lead core bullet. Substituting data with these bullets can be hazardous to say the least. Your best bet for data would be the Barnes manual. You could shoot them an email and they might send you data for just the bullets you are using. Sierra did that for me once. Hodgdon has data online with Clays with that bullet, although velocity looks really disappointing. Alliant only publishes data with Speer bullets.