The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 19, 2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Nathan

Best Scope/Sight Setup for Deer Hunting

I have a buddy who just got an 870 12ga for deer hunting. He is trying to figure out what kind of scope he should use and more importantly, what kind of mount for deer hunting. I think his ideal shot would be a stopped 50 yard shot through a 4x scope, but the reality of OH deer hunting, especially when driving is there are alot of 75 yard and under running or trotting shots.

So, he is thinking of some kind of see through mount with a 4x scope on top. Whaich mount would allow him to see the barrel sights. Any better suggestions?
Old December 19, 2011, 09:06 PM   #2
zoomie

http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-CompC3-Red-Dot-Sights-C8.aspx

He'll need a pic rail; hopefully the receiver is already drilled for it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/655...00-11-87-matte

Last edited by zoomie; December 19, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old December 19, 2011, 10:15 PM   #3
jrothWA

Haveing started in Ohio, recommend...

use a 1.5X scope and a post & cross-hair.
Have use side-saddle mounts for Mossberg 500 & Ithaca M37 and the standard iron sights on the deer barrels.

Made a side mount for my Win m97.

Use the brenneke slugs for deer hunting, seem to give best accuracy and range 100yds, the regulat foster is best an 80+ ydser.

Hope this help?

Where about you hunt? have done Astabula and the Ohio Power Co. lands.
Old December 20, 2011, 12:21 PM   #4
SteelChickenShooter

I've tried numerous combos of scopes on shotguns. I seem to favor a Leupold in a 2 to 7 power. In fact those same scopes are also found on some centerfire rifles, such as Marlins, also for deer hunting. I get added visiblity in the woods set at 2X. Later on, if moving to an open area, I set it to 4,5,6, or 7X depending on where I happen to be sitting. On my very first usage, on my first shotgun, I was quite impressed with the increased visibility during low light conditions. Still legal hunting hours, and for me, I think I get an extra 10 or 15 minutes. Where I hunt, it is not uncommon for deer to be taken in those very first or final moments.
Old December 20, 2011, 12:39 PM   #5
new_scopeshooter

my brother uses a bushnell redot on his winchester superx3... h realy likes it and he hunts in hocking county... i hunt hocking and vinton countys i use open sights.....
Old December 20, 2011, 01:32 PM   #6
zippy13

Much of scope selection depends on how the 870 is used throughout the year. If it is going to be a deer only gun, then you may want to consider a receiver mounted sight, and possibly a pinned barrel. If the gun is to used for other purposed, then you may want the scope attached to the deer barrel. That way you can quickly swap barrels (for birds, clays or HD) and not have to contend with an adulterated receiver.
Old December 20, 2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

If you use a scope, have a low powered version or something that starts off at 1X.

For Eastern hunting where shots run close, a peep works well.

The last decent scope I tried on a shotgun was a Leopold 1-4X.

Note, cheap scopes and 12 gauge slugs are not often a happy marriage.