The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 11, 2011, 02:11 PM   #1
ohen cepel

Mauser safety, turns off, but can't put back on

I'm perplexed by this.

Just picked up a '43 Mauser k98. Safety didn't/doesn't work. Took the bolt apart and it all looks ok.

I put it back together correctly (I think) with the safety up. All is well. However, when I take the safety off, the cocking piece moves slightly and the safety will then not go back on.

All parts match, nothing "bubba'ed" on the rifle. No after market parts.

Any idea what the issue and fix for this is?

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old June 11, 2011, 02:27 PM   #2
HiBC

The safety is supposed to cam the striker/firing pin back off the sear a little when its applied A little bit of chamfer/lead angle helps accomplish this.
My guess,it worked right when it was made.If someone removed steel at the sear /trigger faces.the striker will be slightly forward,and may not cam.Any of those parts could have been changed,then not fitted.
There are parts availableStudy what is there,see what you find.Quite fixable
Old June 11, 2011, 03:25 PM   #3
ohen cepel

I'm stuck. Took it out of the wood to check the trigger, I don't see anything that has been messed with. However, still don't know what the issue is, but the firing pin slides forward a bit when the safety comes off yet won't go back on.

Don't see any issue with the trigger. Hmmmm.....................

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old June 11, 2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

This is a common problem with old Mauser rifles that are worn or have had parts replace, or been "home gunsmithed".

What is happening is that due to wear or mis-matched parts the cocking piece is sitting a little too far forward.
With the cocking piece too far forward, the safety can't slip in front of the cocking piece to cam it backward.

The key parts here are the cocking piece and the sear "box" that holds the trigger in place on the receiver.
If the cocking piece or the sear is worn or mis-matched, the cocking piece is allowed to sit too far forward.

What needs to be done is to check the parts for signs of replacement, alteration, or just wear.
You may have to replace the cocking piece or the sear box.
The problem is, due to wear and differences in individual rifles, even replacement parts may allow the problem.
What you may have to do is buy several parts and test fit until you get a part or parts that fix the problem.

What NOT to do:
Don't start stoning or grinding the cocking piece or safety.
These parts have a glass hard surface hardening to prevent wear.
If you stone or grind you'll break through the thin coat and the parts will wear very fast.
In addition, with soft metal exposed, the safety will be very sticky and hard to get on. This will get worse as the soft metal wears even more.
The only viable option is parts replacement.
Try to get parts of the same make and model as your rifle, but keep in mind that due to age and wear even they may not fit without trying several parts until you get a proper match that holds the cocking piece farther to the rear.
Old June 21, 2011, 08:21 AM   #5
gyvel

I ran into that same problem not long ago on a well used 98. Being fortunate enough to have a fairly large supply of Mauser parts, I just keep substituting the striker knob until I found one that had the proper tolerance of sear to trigger clearance and the safety problem was solved.