The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 8, 2005, 09:40 AM   #1
wrcook

Sharps vs Hi-Wall

I am currently looking for a "Long Range" Rifle. I am looking at the Pedersoli Sharps and the Hi-Wall. I would love a Shiloh, but.... 45-90 is my caliber of choice, I want a tang sight and hooded front sight. Is there anyone who has experience with both rifles?

Bill C
Old July 8, 2005, 01:41 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I own a Highwall and have shot Sharps.
Either will get the job done, it is largely a matter of style. I prefer the Winchester because it is self-cocking and two less things to worry about as I shoot BPCR Metallic Silhouette with a time limit.

What do you consider "Long Range"?
Are you going to shoot black or smokeless?

.45-90 has no advantage over .45-70 until range gets past 800 yards.
.45-90 has no advantage over .45-70 for use with nitro.

Settle for nothing less than a Pedersoli Sharps repro, some of the other Eyetalian copies are pretty sad. Adequate for CAS sidematches if you get a good example, but I have never seen one on the line at a silhouette or midrange match out to 500 metres/600 yards.

The Uberti Highwall imported by Cimarron and also sold by Buffalo Arms has a decent reputation.

Get a shotgun butt if available. The Sharps military or Winchester crescent buttplates will eat you up over a day's shooting.

Good sights are expensive. Serious shooters of my acquaintance use MVA, Baldwin, and Kelley. The BEST Pedersoli Soule tang sight and globe front set is just adequate. The Parts Unknown (Ukraninan!) sights at Buffalo arms are ok. Some of the guys on the Shiloh board really like Ron Heilman sights and they are priced very low for the quality.
Old July 8, 2005, 02:36 PM   #3
wrcook

Thanks Jim
this is good information.

I shoot black powder, to me smokeless just isn't quite right (bad smell ).

I already shoot 45-70 in my trap-door, I am looking for something a bit different. I do plan to shoot at 800+ yards. I have not done that in years and have the urge to get back into it with something other than an M-14.

Bill
Old July 8, 2005, 02:38 PM   #4
wrcook

I have been looking at Baldwin and Kelly sights.
Old July 9, 2005, 12:17 AM   #5
38splfan

Differences.

This is mostly opinion, so take it for what it is worth:

I have always preferred the High-Walls for their looks. They are attractive, timeless, and look classic.
The Sharps have a reputation for being a business rifle. Getting the job done simply, effectively, and reliably.
Each has it's ups and downs.

This next is based on experience:
Every Sharps repro I have handled (including the CW era blackpowder carbines) has been reliable and accurate. (our range only reaches to 300 yards, though). Pedersoli and Uberti have never failed to ring an 8" gong at 300 for me. Even the BP paper-cartridge '61 carbine (with a little work form the shooter).
The only Browning I handled was a bit awkward, but that is due to my experience with the Sharps and lever guns. It was not bad, just took some getting used to. It was also pretty accurate, and would have been better had I been a better shooter with it.

You should have good luck with either. I would definitely second the shotgun butt. I don't mind the military style too bad, but the shotgun butt on my '73 makes a world of difference when shooting long range from a rest or sticks.

Hope that helps, take care. John.
Old July 9, 2005, 05:16 AM   #6
Jim Watson

If you are going to shoot in NRA matches, be aware of weight limits.
Silhouette 12 lb 2 oz (most 34" full octagon won't make weight.)
Long Range 15 lb
Old July 9, 2005, 03:00 PM   #7
David Todd

I have severel highwalls , and an Armsport 45/110 Sharps (cordone, Italy) copy .

The Sharps is a fine shooter, if not a bit light for full charges over the course of a day.

The Uberti highwall that I have is a great rifle, a 40/65 , and VERY accurate.

My Browning 45/70 is an 1885 Jap model ans is so accurate it is boring inside 500!

I like tham all, but have to piut a different sight on thhe Sharps and 1885 Browning to shoot 1,000 yard stuff with as the sights are just not high enough.

I shoot at an aiming point at my range for the long targets and that just will not do for competition.
They are both fine for 500 and closer.

The big differnce in the two styles is that you can take down the Sharps rilfes in about 30 seconds by pulling out the pin on the right side.
Breach block and its innards drop out into your hand for easy cleaning and service.
Not so with the highwall!

None of my Highwalls have set triggers, which my sharps does.

You can take a look at my 40.65 range report and pic under the
Malcom scope thread in this forum.

David

Last edited by David Todd; July 9, 2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old July 18, 2005, 03:49 PM   #8
wrcook

Thanks guys for the good information.

Bill
Old November 14, 2005, 11:02 PM   #9
Big Cabin

Just to wind it up, I have a C Sharps that started out as a 45/70. I had it rechambered in 45/90 a year or two ago. I can fire both rounds through it interchangeably. While they are a little more expensive they are well worth it. By the way mine is a '75 which is simular to a high wall.
Old November 15, 2005, 09:22 AM   #10
Old Dragoon

I have owned a Shiloh Sharps and a Pedersoli engraved Sharps.
The Pedersoli shot better!
I could easily hit a head sized boulder from 800 yards. The Shiloh didn't perform as accurately at that yardage. BBLs were same length. as were the Cal. 45-70. The Sharps is heavier than the highwall and over a day, that can take a toll.

I'd vote for a Pedersoli Sharps in 45-70 0r 45-90. 45-110 is overkill on both ends. and besides you already shoot 45-70. one less cal to reload for.
Old November 15, 2005, 10:47 AM   #11
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I've got a Remington Rolling Block in 45/70 and I'm really pleased with it. Also if you're lefthanded as I am th Rolling Block or the Hi Wall would be more ergonomic than the Sharps. Though I would love to own a Sharps myself.