The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 17, 2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Sportdog

Impressive Shot

Third day of gun deer season here in Southwest Michigan, 5 inches of "Lake Effect" snow and expecting more! I hunted out of my shooting shack to avoid the snow and didn't really expect much as the first two days were an excercise in how NOT to be in the right place. I saw deer but couldn't get a shot. Anyway, I'm sitting in the shack this morning at about 10:00 a doe and her two, this years fawns, cross a neck down area about 110 yards away. I really wanted some venison for the freezer so I was kicking myself for not being ready to shoot the big girl. Within five minutes another large doe by herself steps out in the clearing. This time I was ready. I fired my H&R Bull Barrel 12ga w/Remington Copper solid and 130 yards later the doe dropped like the hammer of Thor hit her. High lung shot close to the spine. Three kicks and it was over. Drove my Jeep with my lawn mower trailer over to the deer. Dropped the gate and dragged her about three feet and up in the trailer. Brought her home and field dressed her in the comfort of my garage. Now I can be picky about a buck!
Old November 17, 2008, 06:20 PM   #2
FrontSight

Niiiiice, congrats!
Old November 17, 2008, 07:16 PM   #3
ActivShootr

That's the way you do it.

Way to go .
Old November 17, 2008, 07:21 PM   #4
simonkenton

Good shot! A spine shot at 130 yards is impressive.

A three yard dragging job, damn, I need to get a rig like that.
Old November 18, 2008, 07:24 AM   #5
dragonfire

Nice shot,boy it snowed alot this year for the opening weekend in Michigan last few years its been zero.
Old November 19, 2008, 12:26 AM   #6
zahnzieh

Hammer of Thor? You are from Michigan!! Congrats!
Old November 19, 2008, 12:33 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

That was 3 feet drag, not 9 feet...
Sounds good... So you don't have a 2 per day limit like we do down here in Florida?
Brent
Old November 19, 2008, 07:19 AM   #8
Sportdog

hogdogs

We have all kinds of different regulations here in Michigan. In the county in Southwestern Michigan where I live and hunt it goes like this. You may take a total of two bucks with a combo archery/gun tag. Any combination except that one must be a buck with at least four points on one side. Private land antlerless permits are sold over the counter at one per day, total of four per season. I generally don't shoot does but last year I failed to take a buck and I really missed the venison. So, the desire for some deer meat overcame me and I killed that doe. Now it's time for a crack at a buck for the wall. I've hunted for nearly twenty-five years and still haven't taken a buck worthy to have it mounted. Maybe this will be the year!