The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2005, 11:15 PM   #1
MLB44MAG

Shot Shell Data 44 Mag ?????

Hello
I was wondering if anybody has any data on home brewed shot shell data for the 44 mag I seen an article in a magazine not to long ago that had some info in it about flippin a gas check around puttin it in the case then puttin the shot in and cappin it with another gas check , my question is how much powder , how much lead so on so forth any info would help.
Thanks
Old July 22, 2005, 08:29 PM   #2
gbair

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/

Calhoon Bullets web site under Informative Articles go down to: "Snake Loads".

Hope you find it as useful as I did.

Greg
Old July 22, 2005, 10:57 PM   #3
flutedchamber

Shot shell data

Check out Speer. They sell shot caps, which come with load data on the boxes. They are cheap and work well.

flutedchamber
Old July 25, 2005, 11:05 AM   #4
MLB44MAG

Thank You for the Info
Old July 25, 2005, 12:27 PM   #5
zeisloft

I havent tried it the way you mentioned, but I have used .410 shot cups trimmed to length. For caps, I take a sized & deprimed 44 shell with the primer hole drilled out some butter lids and a hammer. Use the shell as a cookie cutter on the butter lids and push the "cookies" out using a metal punch pushed through the drilled out primer hole. Prime and powder drop in the trimmed shot cup, fill with shot, place the lid ontop and put a slight roll crimp and I usually use a few drops of wax to hold the caps in place. Try it out, see what you think.
~z
Old July 25, 2005, 08:47 PM   #6
BILLY D.

44 Mag

The Info You Are Looking For Was In Handloader Magazine, Article Written By Mike Venturino.

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old July 25, 2005, 09:20 PM   #7
CaptainRazor

I wouldn't swear to it but....

I think the Speer #13 manual has shotshell data in it.

I KNOW there is data in SOME manual I have, I've read it

I do think it's in the speer manual though, it would only make sense, since they make the shot cups that are readily available.
If you have the Speer manual, as I recall, it was in a totally seperate section from the normal load data, maybe towards the back.
Old July 25, 2005, 09:26 PM   #8
flutedchamber

The shotcups from Speer also work well with 000 buckshot inside. Not exactly a snake load, but it would sure take care of any dog or similar size animal at 20 or 30 feet. Speer also makes shotcups in 38 caliber.

flutedchamber
Old July 25, 2005, 11:07 PM   #9
MLB44MAG

New Member here, and I would like to say thank you all for all the info that you have givin me , Ive been reloadin for about 6 mons. and really enjoy be able to taylor loads for the .44, I tried the shot cups today out cat fishin, took care of that beady little eyed skunk strait away, that was trin to steal my liver off the cooler LOL Parts is Parts
#9 shot works well but ive heard the theres some # 12 shot out there I think if i rember right it was the same article that i read that Billy D. pointed out , (kickin Myself right about now for not buyin that issue )
Does anybody know were to get # 12 shot, or willing to sell some to me ????
I heard its kind of rare.

The Happy Redneck
Old July 26, 2005, 09:17 AM   #10
zeisloft

#12 is gettin kinda small, It would be good for a defense load if you were being attacked be grass hoppers. Otherwise, I'd stay in the 7-9 range. If you do find some #12, try it, Let me know. For a small batch of test loading you may want to buy a box of 12 ga #11 or #12 and just cut em and harvest the shot, otherwise, you may go on a quest for #12 shot, buy a bag, not like it and end up with a $30 door stop. When I first started loadin 44 shot (12 yrs ago) I bought a 25# bag of #7 1/2 and #9 shot. Today, I have a 23# bag of each. Maybe find someone who reloads shotgun and beg, borrow, or steal a lb or so from them. Good luck and keep us posted.
~z
Old July 27, 2005, 11:02 PM   #11
flutedchamber

Number 12 shot is available from Ballistic Products. They are a shotgun reloading supply company. Hope this helps. flutedchamber
Old July 28, 2005, 08:32 PM   #12
drinks

Shotshells

I make shotshells for .45 acp and .44 mag.
I cut off .30-06 head size cases to 1.6" long, drill the flashhole out to 1/8", load 4.5gr Universal or Unique and place 1/8" of fiber wad on the powder, pour in 160gr #7 1/2 and pack some more fiber wad or a cut card wad on top, put a drop of Duro cement on the top and have a fine .45acp shotshell.
Take a .30-40 or .303 brit. case, cut off to 1.6" reduce rim to .510 and thin the front about .005", load same as .45 acp.
I have very good results and the cases seem to last forever.
I am using the .45acp in a 1917 S&W.
The flash hole must be drilled out or the primers will back out and lock up the cylinder.
Don
Old July 28, 2005, 09:33 PM   #13
Jbar4Ranch

I used to make them as per drinks instructions above out of .30-40 cases. The only thing I did different was to thin the rim from the head end. As rifle primer pockets are deeper than pistol primer pockets, I never had a problem with pistol primers sticking out. I used a half ounce of shot, but I don't remember the powder or charge I used after all these years.

SASS 47015