The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Chinny33

RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool

I just purchased one and loaded up 250x 243 win brass.

All I can say is WOW!!!!

It seated them PERFECTLY and I also had a GREAT hand/arm workout!

Its an exercise for sure, so I want to say caveat emptor to all people who have arthritis or osteoporosis or carpel tunnel syndrome.

AWESOME product. AMAZING and WAY better than autoloading on the progressive press for rifles.

I would still use the press's primer seater for small pistols and small rifles.

Get this product if you are wanting accuracy out of large rifles and consistency!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=319794
Proverbs 27:12
Old December 13, 2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Lemmon

RCBS makes excellent products plus great service

RCBS makes excellent products plus great service. I have two of them one set up for Large and the other set up for Small primers. I have also had excellent service from RCBS.

Lemmon
Old December 13, 2010, 02:54 PM   #3
demigod

Quote:
Its an exercise for sure, so I want to say caveat emptor to all people who have arthritis or osteoporosis or carpel tunnel syndrome.
Those people should buy the Sinclair Hand priming tool.

Or you can buy one if you're just into looking down your nose at everyone else!
Old December 13, 2010, 03:39 PM   #4
That'll Do

My works like a dream too

I've hand my RCBS Universal hand primer for about a year now, and it has worked flawlessly. I'll definitely buy another one in the future.

I had previously used Lee hand primers, and while they did the job, they seemed to break every couple of thousand rounds. Even though Lee replaced the parts for free, I like not having to worry about anything breaking on the RCBS. It was definitely worth the extra cash.
Old December 13, 2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

Mine has worked pretty well for the most part. I started out using it for pistols and it was fine. But it turns out that you need some extra oomph at the end when doing CCI large rifle primers. I now use both hands at the end to make sure they are completely seated below flush.

Also, when you are changing out shell holders, you have to remove the little screw and the safety gate in order to slide the plastic primer feed out so that you can mount the shell holder on top of that and then reassemble everything. Once you have removed that safety gate, make sure you keep the tool a bit compressed with one hand. If not, the tool can open up too wide and then all the internal parts will fall out or get in a bind and it takes some fiddling to get them all back in right. Don't lose the little screw that attaches the safety gate to the lever.

It usually works pretty well, but I did have one instance of it seating a primer sideways into the primer pocket. I could tell by the feel that it was wrong, but by then it had already squashed the primer into the pocket. Turns out the normal decapping process gets that out just fine. A couple times, it did try to seat 2 primers at once, but I could tell something was not right and didn't screw it up.

Mine was the original hand press, not the new Universal hand press that doesn't need shell holders. That could be a huge improvement right there.