The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 16, 2008, 05:36 PM   #26
fisherman66

Quote:
RTFM- Read The Freaking Manual!
adding to collection of acronyms.

Good stuff

So in summary, RTFM to CYA or you'll soon be SOL; and OY bring the NiMH or Li when you're in BFE or PDXGS will have to BYAO.

Last edited by fisherman66; November 16, 2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add BYAO without a whole new post.
Old November 16, 2008, 05:43 PM   #27
PDXGS

All of that or one of my SAR K9 teams will have to deploy and BYAO-bail your ass out!

PS- a great way to hone your GPS skills is to participate in Geocaching....look it up!
Old November 16, 2008, 09:26 PM   #28
Rmart30

The bushnell Sholling posted looks interesting and easy to use.

I currently have a Ifinder H2O but want to find something simple to use.

Id like one easy to mark and save waypoints with and to show the path I came in on.
I dont need a bunch of overlays or other added goodies like most of them are stuffed with.
Old November 16, 2008, 09:58 PM   #29
huntnjim

Garmin Etrex
Old November 17, 2008, 01:35 AM   #30
Jseime

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx and it is an awesome little unit... I use it for work though not for any navigation, I do know that it doesnt lose reception in thick bush like a lot of units will and its very easy to use.
Old November 17, 2008, 10:25 AM   #31
wogpotter

As a newbie to GPS here are some of the things I'm in the process of discovering the hard way.
I Have a Garmin Etrex BTW.

You NEED paper maps, not a problem as I'm an old map 'n compass guy anyway.

You have a sharp learning curve to make the unit work for you. You'll be learning & understanding a bunch of new terms, make sure you do.

Getting the map information matching to the settings on the GPS menus is frustrating first time round, just keep practicing & it'll work.

Setting locations you're at is a snap & very accurate.

Programming in locations from a map is much harder & less accurate. But it will get you close enough to re-enter the location once you get there.

Magellan 400 "Adventure pack" avoid it.
The unit is fine, the software, both to connect to the computer & the maps is horrible. I returned mine after 4 days of trying to get the unit to work with the software, and the maps won't work with the unit till this is done.
The "Gift" map software, valued at $50.00 is FREE on the web.:barf:

Having said that I like the Etrex & am finding more & more uses for it as I get used to it. It's even more usefull with a map & compass.
Old November 17, 2008, 10:52 AM   #32
sholling

Amazon sells a get up and running on the etrex Vista video which I found useful. It doesn't go into great depth but it's helpful if you have that unit.
Old November 17, 2008, 11:12 AM   #33
grymster2007

I like my unit to read in Degrees, Minutes and Decimal Minutes, but TOPO maps are in Degrees, Minutes and Seconds. I developed a spreadsheet that converts both ways and has provisions for finding a feature location on a TOPO and giving the location in Degrees, Minutes and Decimal Minutes for entry into the GPS and for taking GPS entries in Degrees, Minutes and Decimal Minutes and pinpointing them on a TOPO in Degrees, Minutes and Seconds. I also wrote a program for an HP 32-SII to do the same.

Yeah... I could switch the display units on the GPS faster, but that would take the fun out of it.
Old November 17, 2008, 11:40 AM   #34
davlandrum

Grym - unfortunately, I spent way too much time in the Army and have to use UTM coords. My GPS does those fine.

My buddy (ex-Navy) uses Lat-Long - I can't figure out how anyone uses those.....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 17, 2008, 12:41 PM   #35
grymster2007

Quote:
Grym - unfortunately, I spent way too much time in the Army and have to use UTM coords. My GPS does those fine.
I've seen them there UTM units on the maps and assume my GPSR would work with them, but I haven't bothered to educate myself.... yet.

More fun!
Old November 18, 2008, 02:48 PM   #36
bigwilly

UTM is MUCH easier.
Old November 20, 2008, 02:28 AM   #37
LateNightFlight

Some of the new models are interesting but I'll swear by my ancient Garmin. I bought one of the first, I can't even remember how many years ago... 12, 13 yrs? Mine is a Garmin GPS 90 aviation model that I bought for my plane, so it gives me exactly what I need to know when hunting. (C'mon... every hunter needs to know whose airspace they're approaching and a 'Go To Nearest Airport' panic button, don't they?)

I still like a topo map and compass, but the ability to find my way back to anywhere after a quick waypoint entry is a real leg saver, especially when you can't see any landmarks for all the trees. I suppose the new map data and high res models have their place, but I don't hunt with the GPS on. I turn it on to enter waypoints I need, or think I might need, and that's about it. I've never switched the datum from lat/long and think other nav options and features would be wasted on me. All I really want from it is a bearing back to the truck, camp, atv, horse, whatever. But don't think I didn't zoom out to see where the closest airport was 4 days ago. We got two elk down in a canyon and I nearly had a thought about calling a helicopter to long line them out. (Hmmm, there's a potential advantage for an aviation model, after all! "From your airport, fly a heading of 287 for 22 nm to this lat/long. I'll be the one waving an orange safety vest.")

For me, GPS is a wonderful back-up when doubt arises. I'm guessing that most people would be plenty happy with simple models equipped with a basic 'Get Home' (or back to waypoint) function, and a simple, intuitive interface. Then again, I'm not one to RTFM when I can avoid it. I'm more the TIOALOTF (Turn It On And Learn On The Fly) kind.

And, hey! Dangerous game hunters: Garmin makes an automotive model with a back up camera that puts the rear view on your nav screen. Just hang the lens on your back pack and ol Griz won't sneak up on ya.

(Put Garmin (NasdaqGS: GRMN) on your watch list. Good product. Good company. First pick for GPS now and going forward. I'm going to buy the stock back when the tide turns.)
Old November 20, 2008, 08:38 AM   #38
wogpotter

If you're looking for a GPS, instead of a mapping GPS, which is what it sounds like, then the Etrex will work fine for you. Although discontinued it's still available.
I'm finding it to be just "tekkie" enough, while simple to set up & use.

As for use with a map I played round with several types of coordinate systems & ended up with the UTM & 7.5 minute maps. These come out at about 2 1/2" to the mile, so I find the overall coverage & detail to have a nice balance for anything I'd do on foot, or with a vhiecle locally.

You will find you need a couple of tools to really make the combination shine.

The grid squares for UTM don't exactly match any measuring ruler I have. There is a toolkit available from the USGS that fixes the issue well & cheaply.
It consists of a ruler, 90 degree ruler & grid overlay, all transpoarent. These run about $10.00 shipped & make remote plotting a lot easier.
Old November 20, 2008, 09:34 AM   #39
jdscholer

I'm wondering now if I change my setting to degree, minute, seconds, will my saved coordinates change accordingly. I am now in degree, minute, decimal minute.
Old yeller E-Trex. jd
Old November 20, 2008, 10:10 AM   #40
grymster2007

Quote:
I'm wondering now if I change my setting to degree, minute, seconds, will my saved coordinates change accordingly.
Mine unit does that and yours should too. The coordinates are the coordinates and switching units should only affect how they're displayed.
Old November 20, 2008, 03:11 PM   #41
jdscholer

I can't remember why we got started with degree, min., dec. min., unless it was the default setting. Besides map compatability, is there advantages to one over the other? jd
Old November 21, 2008, 11:25 AM   #42
grymster2007

Quote:
I can't remember why we got started with degree, min., dec. min., unless it was the default setting.
It was the default on my GPSR and I prefer it. One advantage to using deg, min & sec is that TOPOs use the same. Most TOPOs I've seen also include UTM units and I'm sure some will say those are the way to go.

For planning purposes I often use my GPSR in conjunction with Google Earth, which allows one to select the display units of their choice.
Old November 21, 2008, 09:02 PM   #43
Swampghost

I've been using the same Magellan handheld since the price became reasonable for 12 bird back in the late '80's (I had a marine electronics business and could buy wholesale). It's a real basic function unit and great for finding your way in and out of the swamp on those really dark nights when you really can't see more than a few meters.

I really try to stay off of the lights, I think that they spook game more than anything even the red or green ones.