The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 24, 2009, 09:16 PM   #26
vandyatc

This post is both informative and hilarious. I'm guessing nobody would have given you crap had you not pointed out the color.

About the magnetic thing... Does anyone have real experience with that one? I'm wondering how well that thing will actually hold a handgun in a car. Will it do well in a Jeep in an off road environment? I see it used in the Humvees, and I assume they see some rough riding, but I'm looking for some actual experience.

Thanks in advance!
Old September 25, 2009, 01:39 AM   #27
onthejon55

I sleep on a queen sized bed by myself so i leave is holstered sitting on the corner of my bed pointing away from my face.
Old September 25, 2009, 01:43 PM   #28
(BH)

Quote:
This post is both informative and hilarious. I'm guessing nobody would have given you crap had you not pointed out the color.
Yeah, I just thought I'd add some humor and set myself up for some jokes.

Quote:
About the magnetic thing... Does anyone have real experience with that one?
I have a bit of experience with something similar. I had project involving a magnet that I took from an old speaker. In short, get the magnet out of a subwoofer (mine was 6" I think), drill through the center, cover any of the sharper edges and bulges with silicone, wrap it in electrical tape, make a cloth shroud around it that will not slip off, mount it to the surface of your choice before covering it with shroud, fasten shroud, mount gun, Viola, DIY magnet mount.

Perhaps sometime soon I will post that whole process in detail w/ pics.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson

Last edited by (BH); September 26, 2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old September 25, 2009, 03:02 PM   #29
FireForged

why hide a bed side firearm? Mine sits in the nightstand during the day and on top of the nightstand at night.
Old September 25, 2009, 09:10 PM   #30
(BH)

I guess it's just my nature to keep my firearms out of view. That's just my personal preference, but not the main reason.

The main reason I don't keep it on my nightstand is because I keep a glass of water there, and there have been some clumsy instances in the past where the contents of said glass have met the inner workings of a cell phone. I would hate for that to have been one of my guns.

I generally need water at night because (you guessed it...) I get thirsty. I take a medication that makes me rather dehydrated throughout the night.

If I didn't have an alarm system, I would plan differently. However, since I do have a good alarm, I can rest knowing that I'll have a good few seconds heads up in the event of a late night visit from a giant zombie rodent, ferocious gelatinous entity, 8ft praying mantis with chainsaw pinchers and a flamethrower mouth, or of course the rare drugged out burglar.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson

Last edited by (BH); September 26, 2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old October 1, 2009, 07:09 AM   #31
Mr. Davis

I'd like to correct some serious misinformation in this thread.

Chuck Norris does not sleep...he waits.
Old October 9, 2009, 10:48 AM   #32
38super

It doesn’t really matter where you keep pdw if they are already in your bedroom, it doesn’t matter. What could be an idea is to install a heat sensor light aiming at the bedroom door or the passage way, as it will wake you up and “blind” them, thus giving you the edge.

You would need to set the sensor to only go off at human body temperature. If they come through a window or sliding door, it will not help you. You simply cannot be 100% secure.
Old October 9, 2009, 03:58 PM   #33
(BH)

The way I see it, if someone with bad intentions is already standing over me when I wake up I will cooperate at least until I get my wits about me. Unless they were to give me a good window to go on the offensive.

-Samuel Johnson
Old October 9, 2009, 04:33 PM   #34
N.H. Yankee

38SUPER, no need for a heat sensor light to blind them, thats why I use a powder with a bright muzzle flash I basically have a 3 shelf, mini bookshelf that is at my head between my side of the bed and the wall. The middle shelf is level with the bed so the gun is right there and directly across from my shoulder.

The holster is attached to the shelf with heavy duty velcro so the gun is always in the same place with the grips facing me. I have 2 flashlights also on the same shelf as well as my cell phone The big dog sleeps right next to the shelf, so no worry about anyone getting the gun before me.
Old October 10, 2009, 08:49 AM   #35
Way Tall Whitey

.44 special on my side of the headboard, 38 spec with +P loads on her side

"*Never* underestimate the ability of a baby to learn to Macgyver, especially if she had intelligent and creative parents"

Well, we're out...
Old October 10, 2009, 11:46 AM   #36
jborushko

i've always wanted to entertain the Hollywood way, from Training Day, when Denzel has a shotgun on a swivel under the bed.

I have always been to perinoid to leave a gun on the night stand, or just chillen in it. Between muscle memory, bad sleep, too deep sleep. Im afraid that in my sleep i will grab the gun and sleep walk shooting stuff or whatever, its happened (minus the shooting) but waking up in the living room holding a weapon in condition 0 is not something i like to repeat.

also too deep sleep- lets say some dude breaks into the house -past the security system, and finds me sleeping in bed grabs my gun from off the nightstand, makes that security go away fast as hell.

that being said. if somebody is in my house i want to be awake enough to handle the situation. i have my gun in condition 4 (not loaded not charged) behind the head board in a paddle holster i attached to the back of it. then the mag under the mattress at my feet.

so i have to:
1) WAKE up
2) grab the weapon
3) grab the mag
4) Wake up the girlfriend, get her into the bathroom/or out of the room
5) load the weapon, bringing myself to fully awake/alert and condition 0
6) turn on the mounted flashlight and crimson trace grips
7) handle the business

all of this can be done in seconds, we practice this drill with the help of my roommate (with the mag loaded with blanks)

EDIT: all that being said, the inside the bed frame drawer is good for the fact that that type of bed frame is not as common, and the drawers are out of the way, and they are covered by the bed skirt (love the color LMAO). bottom line if it works for you, GREAT!
Old October 13, 2009, 09:20 AM   #37
output

I keep my 9mm in a case right on top of my bedside nightstand. When I get up in the morning to leave I close the case and when I get home from work I open it back up. I have thought about placing other firearms in other areas of the home but I have never gotten around to it. I don’t have any metal furniture so I would have to place them in drawer or under furniture…I also have a two story home.

Out of curiosity what other places or ‘areas’ in a home do most considered to be ideal? I have thought about other common areas but I’m afraid that a guest my stumble across one on accident or something.

My front door opens to a staircase (leading upstairs), my living room on the right of the doorway, and flex room on the left of the doorway both of which lead to the kitchen.

Last edited by output; October 15, 2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:00 PM   #38
Diesel4Play

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...attach/jpg.gif
This is in a hotel room but home is the same. Sometimes in the drawer. No kids and no bad guys. The dogs job is to let me know when I need it. She has several times but fortunately I did not have to use it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0029.jpg (226.7 KB, 48 views)
Old October 17, 2009, 11:42 PM   #39
jimmythejug

I was happy to find this thread. I've been knocking around the idea of creating a thread to discuss the bedside firearm idea.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been contemplating the effectiveness of my pistol as a self defense weapon, given the fact that it's stored in the plastic case under my bed, unloaded, with a loaded mag hidden elsewhere in the room.

Just two nights ago, the cat and I were starting to fall asleep (no kids, wife's away) and we heard a loud 'BANG'. The cat was startled and darted into the hallway. I wasn't sure where it came from but I was pretty sure something just fell somewhere, as things sometimes do. In any case, I paused for about a second and decided (a) I needed to have a loaded gun in my hands in case there was a real threat in the house and (b) this was a good time (with the wife away) for a little 'drill', so I could see what it would take to get the gun together and in hand. Here's how it went:

I had to turn on the nightstand light, slide the case out from under the bed, unsnap the case, remove the gun from its oily rag, head over to the drawer where the mag was stored, find the mag in the drawer (!), try to shake the lightly oiled mag from the plastic bag that it was in, realize I was shaking it towards the closed end of the bag, flip it around, get the mag out, slide it into the gun (I chose not to chamber a round) and head down the hallway with the gun at my side....feeling like an idiot because I'd be dead if this were real.....you might be surprised at how much longer stuff seems to take when you're a little nervous.

I didn't really want to keep the gun 'out', let alone loaded but I've come to realize that I doubt I'd have much time if I really needed it and my little scenario proved my point. To me, the weapon pretty much needs to be in/on/around the bedside to be useful.

Your thoughts? Suggestions?
Old October 18, 2009, 03:58 PM   #40
shooter mcgavin

i am trying to find a good secure way to access my handgun very quickly. i was thinking of mounting a holster to the backside of my bed headboard. theres just enough room to fit. it would be out of sight from the kids and would be locked up during the day. anyone done something similar?
Old October 27, 2009, 11:05 PM   #41
Diesel4Play

I am thinking about mounting a good holster on the back of the night stand too, just haven't found the right method. From the picture in my previous post I like it loaded and at hand but I do think out on the night stand is risky. If the dog did not do here duty, for what ever reason, and someone was able to sneak in to my room past my wife and I to the night stand, well lets say the shoe would be on the other foot.
Anyone with a good idea for mounting a holster on the back of a night stand or head board please pipe in. I will use a good holster as I do not want to fight with a cheap-o while someone is in the house. It would be best if I could mount my regular holster without damage and use it for both applications.
If I come up with something I will share too.