The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 11:11 AM   #1
UniversalFrost

Moving to WV need info on ranges and such

Just got back from my deployment to the STAN and am leaving the dept. of the army and just landed a job in Parkersburg, WV.

Now i need information on any ranges in the area (on both the WV and OH sides)...

once i find a house I will hopefully have enough land to put up at least a pistol rand shotgun range and hopefully enough for at least a 100meter rifle range...

any information would be appreciated.

also any WV specific hunting, fishing and shooting sites would be great!

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 3, 2013, 11:51 AM   #2
g.willikers

Fort Harmar range, Marietta, Ohio is just up the road.
http://www.fortharmar.com/
Old February 3, 2013, 02:40 PM   #3
bumnote

It's probably about 75-100 miles from there but last year I went to White Horse Range and had a great time. They have rifle ranges out to 1000 yards. It's probably too far for a typical 'day at the range', but if you want to try some long distance shooting some weekend I found it worth checking out.
I drove out there from the Northern Virginia/DC area...outdoor shooting around here is almost nonexistent.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:43 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

hopefully i can get a house with at least a 10 acre lot.. been looking at several but the houses really sucked or land was right next to areas i didnt want to live... .

still looking at my preapproval is good for up to 6 months (have to renew at the 90 day point)... and hopefully something comes open during that time...

havent taken my sr25, surgeon or other f class guns out of the cases since moving from AZ 2 years ago and glad to hear that there are 1000yd ranges out in my neck of the woods.

planning on doing lots of black powder and bowhunting and would like to know if we have any folks on the board that are somewhat local to that area? (i know a few years ago when i had planned on moving to clarksburg WV which is down the road we had a few folks that were local to that area)

Old February 4, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
s10ryan

Where in W you looking at?
Old February 4, 2013, 10:25 AM   #6
nixfix

I drove out there from the Northern Virginia/DC area...outdoor shooting around here is almost nonexistent.

Bumnote, you do know about the range at the Cove in Gore, VA? In case you don't, www.covecampground.com. During the winter they are open on the weekends only. Had some good times plinking there on Saturday.

Old February 4, 2013, 10:50 AM   #7
UniversalFrost

s10ryan,

I am moving to parkersburg.

Old February 4, 2013, 10:58 AM   #8
David13

Where to Shoot.org lists local ranges all over the US. Put in the zip code and you will get a list.
They list most of the commercial and private ranges in an area.
However, there are still some that are not listed, but they do give all the info on the ones listed.
dc
http://wheretoshoot.org/index2.cfm
Old February 5, 2013, 03:44 AM   #9
chris in va

Good to know The Cove is still going. It was the last time I got to shoot Tannerite, can't do that at Knob Creek.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:48 AM   #10
nixfix

Not only is the Cove going, they have completely cleaned up up there. RSO on duty at all times and I talked to the brothers and they are planning to put up a bunch of steel targets by summer, one was already ready to go, but not up there yet. Can't wait.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:08 PM   #11
loltraktor1918

Lake Hope has the best range in the state IMO. Public range, no range managers or officers. Only people at the range are people shooting and that is it.

It is an open outdoor range. The only restriction now is on center fire rifles. That was due to some clowns shooting out of the range boundaries several years ago.