The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 6, 2009, 11:01 AM   #1
whitefish

Cleaning - Okay to Pull Bronze Brush Back Thru Bore?

I've been cleaning my rifles the same way now for years. When I get to the stage of using a bronze brush, I always push the wetted brush down the bore, take the brush off the rod, and start over again at the top. My theory has always been that I'm pushing stuff down the bore and keeping it out of the action. Also, I figure there is less chance of damaging the crown this way (if thats even possible with a bronze brush).

Then I was watching Darrel Holland (on an AGI video) cleaning a match .308 rifle, aggressively pushing and pulling a bronze brush through with little concern. So I'm wondering...is pulling a brush back up the bore anything to really be worried about?
Old December 6, 2009, 11:18 AM   #2
fastforty

The problem with reversing the brush comes into play when you do it midway down the barrel. It can get stuck if you do that.
Old December 6, 2009, 12:52 PM   #3
whitefish

Quote:
The problem with reversing the brush comes into play when you do it midway down the barrel. It can get stuck if you do that.
Yup - I've read to always make sure the brush has cleared the bore before I reverse it.

Also, I'm using a bore guide.
Old December 6, 2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

That is why I use a snake on everything but my 22, my brush only goes the same direction as my bullet.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 6, 2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

This is personal preference, and your cleaning method.

You can pull the brush back, but some people don't because it can spray dirty solvent into the action.

I've gone to PULLING the brush through the bore.
When you push a brush or patch through, the rod flexes and bumps against the bore.
While this does leave rifling marks on the rod, I'm not sure what, if any real harm this does to the bore, but pulling the rod eliminates all barrel contact.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:54 AM   #6
whitefish

Quote:
This is personal preference, and your cleaning method.

You can pull the brush back, but some people don't because it can spray dirty solvent into the action.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Dfariswheel, if I use a bore guide, this pretty much seals up the action and throat, doesn't it? There wouldn't be an issue of solvent spraying into the action. I have the barrel tilted to that the solvent always runs out of the barrel and not into the action.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

Then is really is a matter of your preference.
Old December 7, 2009, 10:14 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I'm not too concerned with solvent entering the action. Cleaning the bore is my first step. After that, I'm going to thoroughly clean the action anyway and inspect. You're not doing anything wrong with your method. I don't necessarily agree with said method. But like Dfariswheel basically said, we have our own preferences. If you want my viewpoint, I don't see how running the brush through one way cleans the backside of the lands/rifling. On the other hand, if you're running it through the same direction as the bullet travels, I guess you're cleaning the area where the bullet would make contact anyway and the rest is moot.

One observation: It's not so much the bronze brush that damages the crown, it's the steel end of the brush dropping down on it as the brush leaves the bore. Even if your brush is made completely of bronze, I use caution to keep the joint where the brush threads against your rod.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 8, 2009, 12:38 AM   #9
whitefish

Quote:
If you want my viewpoint, I don't see how running the brush through one way cleans the backside of the lands/rifling.
Good point. Not to mention that simply pulling the brush back through is a heck of alot easier than unscrewing, pulling the rod out and rescrewing the brush on.

I'm using a Dewey coated rod and all brass brushes.
Old December 8, 2009, 12:48 AM   #10
jborushko

*shrugs* i detail strip pretty much every weapon when i clean them... every time
Old December 31, 2009, 04:14 PM   #11
celtgun

MTM Bore Guide

For less tha $10 the MTM Bore Guide does a great job of protecting chamber throat and action/stocks from solvents. A partial solution, another old trick is to store long guns muzzle down so oil does not run into stock.

"A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill
Old December 31, 2009, 04:44 PM   #12
drail

Big +1 on storing long guns muzzle down. It keeps oil from draining into the wood and keeps dust and grit out of the bore. Just be sure to set the muzzle on something that will not hold moisture, like carpet. I use pieces of rubber mat cut into small strips.