The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 25, 2012, 06:24 AM   #1
mitchntx

Revolver vs Semi-auto - has the market softened?

I buy and sell ... I buy a gun that peaks my interest and if/when I get bored with it, I sell it and move onto something else. Occasionally I find a "keeper", but for the most part, I like shooting a variety.

I don't seem to have a problem selling a semi. Sold a 92FS last week without hardly trying and for a decent price (when compared to new).

But I can't seem to find a buyer for a nickel 4" 686.

Just a few months ago, these were $500-600 at shows and on boards. Best offer I've had so far is $350. I'm not going to give it away.

Has anyone else noticed a softening market on revolvers? Might be a good time to buy a few ...
Old November 25, 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
C5rider

Haven't noticed it yet, but I'll DEFINITELY keep my eyes out for it!
Old November 25, 2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Mystro

Semi autos are always going to be prefered as a self defence tool for LE and the general public but the revolver has its place with the sportsman and true gun aficionado. Quality never goes out of style and with the plethora of plastic guns, a good high quality revolver is extremely satisfying. They tend to have more personality and you can love and grow attached to a good high quality revolver like a good automatic watch. I will carry a gun even though its not the optimal choice if I like it and shoot it well. I was just looking at a few used 686 an their prices were strong in Central Pa. A super clean 1980's 686 with 8 3/8" barrel was going for $575.00. I just bought another 629 but if the 686 is still there after Christmas, I may buy it because it NEEDS a good home.
The revolver market is a bit slow only because of the political climate and the race to own a high capacity automatic. Guys like me that have a arsenal of pistols are not influenced by trends because we have multiples of everything. There is enough of us that are always looking for QUALITY handguns. Dont give your 686 away, for that matter don't sell it.

Last edited by Mystro; November 25, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Warrior1256

I am primarily a semi-auto guy but I do love the three revolvers that I have:

Colt King Cobra snubbie

Ruger Security Six

S & W 642 .38 Airweight.

Would'nt sell / trade for anything.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:32 AM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

I think $400 to $425 would be more fair price selling to an individual person. If selling to a shop, or putting on consignment then $350 would not be out of the question. Though that would be more on the low end. If it is a shop remember they have to mark it up to make a profit from it.

Oh and as far as revolvers to semi goes. People that buy revolvers are the ones that are looking for revolvers.

Also most times around the holiday season people get a need for shopping money, and tend to sell cheaper to get the money they need.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:14 AM   #6
kahrguy

Maybe its more about when a seasoned shooter young or old finds a solid revolver they keep it. Seems like many people that are newer to handguns or the younger generation don't like a revolvers trigger pull and sell off the new revolvers they. They also tend to be of a group that buys any firearm more on impulse. Got to have the newest and lastest new toy, when it should be looked at more as a tool.

Theres nothing I see special about ether revolvers or semi's except theres 4 times as many semi-autos to pick from and more used for sale . Seems around my regional or state forums and papers that allow firearm sales people try sell for what a good lgs sells for new +. Most of the revolvers I see for sale seem to be ether inherited firearms by people that don't care about them or year old or less by newer shooters that deside they hate the triggers. Not many seasoned shooters buy them then sell there revolvers.

Prices!!
I live in a market that has a couple FL's that sell for 10% over there cost and people tend to keep what they buy. So when a read firearms for sale treads or news paper adds seem high priced across the board.

The only firearm vise i have are dan wesson revolvers. There getting to be harder to find as those darn DW revolvers guys tend to keep them.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:20 AM   #7
L_Killkenny

Just because something is a harder sell does not mean it's value is less. Yes, in today's market revolvers are not as popular and if you need money quick you might have to take a hit. That doesn't mean that it's value is dinged just that there are fewer buyers. Take a million dollar home vs. a $200,000 home. The cheaper home is easier to sell because there are more buyers in that price range. But due to obvious factors there are also less sellers of big fancy homes so the price can stay up and a seller can usually get fair value as long as they don't have to sell today.

So there's less buyers AND sellers for revolvers right now. It makes it harder for them to connect potentially adding time it take to do a sale. I haven't noticed many deals lately on any guns, revolvers no different.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:53 PM   #8
tipoc

Quote:
But I can't seem to find a buyer for a nickel 4" 686.

Just a few months ago, these were $500-600 at shows and on boards. Best offer I've had so far is $350. I'm not going to give it away.

Has anyone else noticed a softening market on revolvers? Might be a good time to buy a few ...
The 686 is a stainless steel gun. If your gun is actually a nickel plated 686 maybe that is part of the problem. A nickel plated 586 is a different matter.

1). What time of the year is it now? Many have a bit less disposable income heading into the Holidays after the expense of buying gifts for others.

2). With a few exceptions used wheelguns tend to sell more slowly than semis. With the stainless steel 686 readily available the nickel plated 586 would appeal more to the fella who wanted a nickel plated gun in particular. There are fewer of those.

3). Try listing the gun in this forum and in others. The S&W forum would be wise.

tipoc
Old November 26, 2012, 03:08 PM   #9
BigJimP

Since its a 686 ....it can't be Nickel ( unless its been refinished, which would be odd... ) ...all the 686's are stainless....

Condition is everything ...so its hard to generalize, but in my area the demand on 4" ( 66's, or 686's is pretty high )....$ 500 - $600 is not out of the question, depending on the engineering dash number .. ( if its a dash 5 - or even later / then the market is soft on that gun because it has MIM parts in it / and probably the internal frame lock). So if its a dash 5 or later....you'd be lucky to get a buyer at $350 in my area / with most buyers just passing on it ...for an earlier model.

Dash 2's thru 4's are preferred in the market right now on the model 686's ...but in those dash ranges, a 4" is pretty easy to sell - in excellent condition / as long as its a 6 shot version ...the market is also soft on the 7 shot versions out there that was introduced in late 1995 / 1996 ....

So it really depends on what you've got ....is it stainless or Nickel ...what engineering revision is it ...is it a 6 or 7 shot ...???
---------------
The general market for S&W revolvers ...even very early ones...especially in .357 mag.....model 19's, 27's, 28's, 66's, 686's ...is not soft in my area ! Demand and prices are up -- especially on model 19's and 27's ( in 4" and Nickel ) ...in my area.
Old November 26, 2012, 03:45 PM   #10
1 old 0311-1

About 30 days ago I sold a S&W CS-1, on G-broker for $2491. I was VERY happy with that price. As to the wheelie gun market in general condition and model, are the big factors.

Old November 26, 2012, 03:59 PM   #11
spacecoast

311 -

Are you implying that you keep all those guns under the mattress?

A 4" 686 in decent condition should go for $500 easy
Old November 26, 2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Chilidogs

Holy Smokes Old!
Wheelgun much?
Old November 26, 2012, 05:40 PM   #13
1 old 0311-1

Holy Smokes Old!
Wheelgun much?

It really isn't a 'collection.' More of a 401k THAT IS fun!
Old November 26, 2012, 07:29 PM   #14
Joe_Pike

I've noticed it. If a decent revolver shows up at a shop they want a fortune for it, but if I try to sell something it takes a long while to get it sold. It took me a while to sell a couple of Colts and a nickel model 19, and they went for less than what I thought I would get out of them. I basically got my money back after holding on to them for a few years.
Old November 26, 2012, 10:16 PM   #15
1 old 0311-1

Some here may remember 1994 and the Assault Weapons Ban. Everything over 10 round mags were banned from further manufacture. Wheelies got REAL hot REAL fast. Pretty good chance it will be back.
Old November 27, 2012, 04:57 AM   #16
mitchntx

Doh! Stainless ... I knew that.

It's a 686-1 and has been back to Smith for work. That's what that hyroglyph means between the SN and model, right?

Didn't intend for this thread to morph into the value of this particular gun. But it appears that others are seeing a "supply and demand" market driver.

Like anything else, the market will dictate and the wheelies have their place.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:18 AM   #17
Zhillsauditor

I hate to say it, but a little bit of polishing will go a long way with the price for the right person. Personally, I try not to let the non-functional looks of a gun affect my decision (unless I'm buying just to collect), but I know that it does. Get a high shine on it, take some good photos, and $500-600 will not be a problem. Shoot, I'd take it for $500 if you were local.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:20 AM   #18
BigJimP

Yes, the M means it was recalled by the factory and reworked ..and stamped accordingly. So that's a good thing.

Based on the photo - I'd put it in the "Good" category ...and if its mechanically sound, timing is good, etc - bore looks good - then maybe $ 425 - $450 if you clean it up a little / a little polish won't hurt it ....maybe a little cleaning on the grips or at least some paste wax. If it cleans up real well ...$500 isn't out of the question - in my opinion.

Some of your photos - almost indicate some surface rust ...or maybe its crud inside the crane...but it needs to be taken care of unless its just the photo.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:00 PM   #19
old bear

Quote:
No.. In fact I've noticed the opposite, prices for quality classic revolvers is still increasing, just check any of the assorted auction sites, or Guns International.

Autoloaders are still the trendy handguns of choice so I believe that they may sell faster than a quality and fairly priced revolver.

Quote:
It's a 686-1 and has been back to Smith for work. That's what that hyroglyph means between the SN and model, right?
No. The dash after the model number indicates it is the first engineering change. The "M" indicates it was sent back to S&W as part of a factory recall.

Last edited by old bear; November 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old November 27, 2012, 02:57 PM   #20
rem44m

Where I'm from a good 686 goes for 500-550. I would think TX would be the same.

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left"
Old November 27, 2012, 03:01 PM   #21
zincwarrior

Also remember, we're in a bit of an Obama Bullet Bubble II right now, with firearm sales skyrocketing for semis and rifles that would be banned under a California style law writ at the federal level. Until that levels off again, a lot of funds will be going that way.

Might be a good time to buy a revolver however, for the same reason.
Old November 27, 2012, 04:39 PM   #22
1 old 0311-1

SOME of the 686's were sent out before the recall. Those were returned and given a stamp. Later guns had the recall done at the factory so they came with the M stamp. The 2 below were CS-1 guns, Customs Service. They were returned a to be checked that the recall was done.

Old November 27, 2012, 09:24 PM   #23
MTHall720

My local dealers don't seem to have much when it comes to revolvers, but I like wheel guns myself. At the dealers which have buy trade sell options I was looking for a 686 4 inch but got the impression it would be very hard to come by.
If I could have swapped my Glock for one I was going to do it, but now am just sticking with semi autos. Some day in my future I still want a 686 though.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:53 PM   #24
Chris9472

A Colt Detective Special was the first handgun I purchased in my younger years, which I foolishly sold a few months later after getting nervous and never having fired it. It turned out to be the last style (mid 90's) Colt would produce.

I recently saw one online brand new in box and the seller wanted $900 I'd love to have one again, just to correct an old error but that is a little steep!
Old November 27, 2012, 09:54 PM   #25
Deja vu

I would venture a guess that autos out sell revolvers but a large margin. I dont know any revolver guys that do not own an automatic but I do know a few auto guys that do not own any revolvers.

That said I can not see the day where there are no more revolvers. Revolvers are still king of the hill when it comes to handgun hunting. Revolvers are evolving in to "big" guns. I own a magnum research BFR in 45/70 and 450 marlin (changeable cylinders) I can not see an auto handling a round like this. Even a round like the 454 casul (big but not the biggest factory revolver round) far out shines the largest factory auto round that I am aware of (50AE)

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...