The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 9, 2015, 08:34 PM   #1
Oliverjames

I am New to Shot Guns

I have been shooting sporting clays, trap and pheasant hunted a couple times. My dad gave me a Remington 870 12 gauge that I have been using. I am now looking into getting a semi auto 12 ga and wondering what might be a good gun to get. At this point I am not ready to spend a bunch of money on a gun
($400-650) . I was looking for some advice on a good gun.
Old July 9, 2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Bake

What's happened to the 870? The 870 with minimal care should last a lifetime. There are many barrels For the 870 on the used market. Replacement stocks are also available.
Old July 9, 2015, 10:31 PM   #3
Model12Win

I would get a Mossberg 500 set up for trap, with the 18" barrel for home defense added with it as a package.
Old July 9, 2015, 11:50 PM   #4
upstate81

Find a used remington 1100 or 1187 and go shooting. No other semis in that price range really besides the beretta outlander which is about 700 at my walmart. The 1100 is my personal favorite, soft shooting and nice to look at! 870s and 1100s just "feel right" to me. Thats what really matters when buying a gun anyways.
Old July 10, 2015, 01:33 AM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

Be sure whatever you get takes screw in chokes.
Old July 10, 2015, 01:55 AM   #6
JERRYS.

Weatherby makes a nice home defense semi-auto shotgun that doesn't cost a lot according to GB.
Old July 10, 2015, 04:33 AM   #7
idek

In that price range, you might consider Mossberg 930 for a new auto. They've gotten pretty good reviews and have been around long enough that it's looks like they're here to stay. My dad has one and it seems pretty nice in the limited time I've handled it.

A Google search today will yield a lot of results about the 930 SPX, which is more of a tactical model, but it began as a general purpose field gun.
Old July 10, 2015, 07:03 AM   #8
FITASC

He is looking for a semi for sporting purposes and everyone is talking about HD pumps..........

In your price, for a quality gun, it will be used. A Remington 1100 should do nicely to go with your 870. You might also be able to luck into a Beretta 390. Both will be at the upper end of your budget.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 10, 2015, 12:22 PM   #9
BigJimP

In the price range....you might look for a Browning Gold model as well...they quit making them in 12ga about 5 yrs ago ( they make them in a 10ga now -- and other models in 12ga there is the silver series, maxus, etc )....but there are still a lot of the Browning Gold models in 12ga around .....

I 2nd the idea of a used Beretta 390 model as well.../ and making sure it has changeable screw in chokes.
Old July 10, 2015, 12:44 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Gander Mountain lists a 930 Combo(2 barrels. An 18.5" slug barrel and a 28" barrel with Accu-Set chokes. Full, Mod. and I.C.) at $599.99. You can buy the thing on-line if there's no store near you.
A 'tactical model' is a marketing term. Same thing with a different finish and usually a higher price.
Old July 10, 2015, 02:48 PM   #11
Oliverjames

Thanks

Hey guys thanks for the input, BTW nothing happened to the 870, I just want a semi auto as well. I have also looked at Tristar and have pretty much ruled them out. What are your thoughts on them ?
Old July 10, 2015, 04:09 PM   #12
FITASC

No on the Tristar. ESPECIALLY for a target gun that will (at least it SHOULD) get shot a LOT

RELIABILITY is the key. Buy once, cry once. Get a good brand with a reputation for going the distance over time - Beretta, Remington, Win SX-1, etc.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 10, 2015, 06:44 PM   #13
Virginian

Quote:
RELIABILITY is the key. Buy once, cry once. Get a good brand with a reputation for going the distance over time - Beretta, Remington, Win SX-1, etc.
AMEN !
Old July 10, 2015, 07:20 PM   #14
Bake

I am a big fan of the three B's; Benelli, Beretta, and Browning. Stick with these, and your life will be boringAnother big plus with the 3B's is the only time you go to a gun shop is to pick up reloading supplies. With the three B's, all you ever do is shoot, pick up the empties, take the empties home, reload the empties and then go back to the range and shoot.
Old July 11, 2015, 02:17 PM   #15
RobinTN

Weatherby SA-08 has a good reputation and falls within your budget. I have a friend that has one and it's been flawless.

Here is a review to wet your whistle:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/weatherby_SA-08_shotgun.htm

Last edited by RobinTN; July 11, 2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Typos
Old July 11, 2015, 03:19 PM   #16
BigJimP

Another no on the Tristar....they won't hold up to even moderate use.../ and I'd stay away from the Weatherby as well based on what I've seen of their guns ...( or most anything made in Turkey)....

FN owns both Browning and Winchester...and while it looks to me like Browning is running the shotgun divisions - either should be decent guns / but the least expensive in the Browning line will be a gun like the Silver Hunter model...and its out of your budget at least as a new gun.

Beretta has been the strongest entry in the gas gun market on the clay target fields for the last 15 yrs at least...used or new they are solid guns / Beretta also owns Benelli but the Benelli's are more money.