The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 26, 2005, 10:26 PM   #1
bbcode3

PD Trade in questions

I just had a local Sheriffs office approach me wanting to trade a M14 for new equipment (not necessarily new class III firearms). Problem is they cant find the paperwork. My questions are:

1) do you have to be a class 3/SOT to do this kind of transaction?
2) If no, how do I find out if these are transferable?
3) If they are transferable, is the $200 tax still applicable since it is coming from a dept?

I appreciate all responses...
Old February 27, 2005, 01:17 AM   #2
thelast2

I take it this M14 is a class 3 weapon? If it is I would check the with ATF on the regulations as im almost 100% sure you have to have a class 3 dealers liscense, or pay the 200 tax and fill out the forms to take possesion of the weapon yourself. If you can get in touch with a guy named shaggy, he seems to have quite a bit of insight on class 3 stuff.

Last edited by thelast2; February 27, 2005 at 03:27 AM.
Old February 27, 2005, 04:01 PM   #3
shaggy

You gotta have them find the paperwork if its a machinegun.

If not, they'll have to contact BATFE and find out its status for you. It could very well be the gun is transferable - in which case it could transfer to you as a non-FFL/SOT and be worth quite a bit of cash ($9k to over $16k depending on various factors) though a transfer tax would be due. OTOH, it could be registered on a form 10, which if I recall correctly, cannot be transfered out to anyone but a FFL/SOT (with a demo letter) and would not be transferable.
Old February 28, 2005, 12:15 AM   #4
bbcode3

Thanks for that bit of info....I do however have another question regarding that...

IF it has never been papered at all.....can they register it on form 10. Form 5 would be out of the question since it is after '86, right? IF that is the case does that make it a pre-86 dealer sample since it was manufactured pre'86???
Old February 28, 2005, 01:38 AM   #5
PMDW

If it's registered after 86, it's a post-86 dealer sample, and you still can't have it.