The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 23, 2000, 07:17 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

I need help identifying two revolvers.

The first is a small, nickel plated .22 short revolver. It is marked "Young American Double Action" on the top strap and has no other markings besides this. The cylinder does not come out (that I can tell) and there is a small grove for loading rounds. It has pearl grips.

The second revolver is larger and also nickle plated. It is a .32 ACP. It is marked Thames Arms Co. Pat. Jan 5 Oct 5 86. on the top of the barrel. The bottom frame of the grip has the number 73 over the number 366 or 356. The cylider breaks open at the top like a Webley. The lever that releases the cylinder also has a tiny noth cut into it for sighting purposes. It has black plastic grips
Old August 23, 2000, 09:07 PM   #2
cghammo

Bartholomew,
The first revolver was made by Harrington & Richardson. It is a variation of their original Safety Hammer Double Action.
The second revolver was made by Thames Arms Company of Norwich, Connecticut. They were in business from 1870-1900. Their revolvers carry a variety of patent dates, prinipally 1886.
Hope this helps.
Old August 23, 2000, 09:29 PM   #3
beemerb

The second revolver would not be 32 ACP but probably 32 S&W.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old August 23, 2000, 09:45 PM   #4
cghammo

The Thames revolver was sold as the Automatic, referring to their 'automatic' self-ejecting action. I should have clarified that in my original post, sorry.
Old August 24, 2000, 06:58 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Mr Roberts:
Young American is a trade name used by Harringto & Richardson on Revolvers

Thames is also a Harrington and Richardson revolver that was made for an unknown wholesaler.

This is all I have on these two revolvers.

HJN
Old August 24, 2000, 11:14 AM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

Thanks everyone for your help. Beemerb was correct. The Thames Arms Co. revolver was in .32 S&W. being from a later generation, I saw the .32 and my mind inserted "ACP" automatically.

Harley - my own research discovered that Thames Arms Co. was an actual firearms company (about the equivalent of Jennings or Bryco) making revolvers in the late 1800s. they were eventually absorbed by Harrinton and Richardson around 1902. (in case it ever comes up again).

Looks like combined worth of both revolvers is probably $100.
Old August 24, 2000, 05:49 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Bartholomew,

That Young America should have a cylinder pin and a little catch in the front of the frame. Pushing in the catch should allow the cylinder pin to be removed and then the cylinder will come out. It is possible that the cylinder pin is broken off and doesn't stick out of the front of the frame. If this is true, it can be pushed from the back after cocking the hammer.

Cylinder pins are easily made.

Jim