The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 28, 2012, 11:04 AM   #1
mickey b

9mm largo to 9mm luger

hi i have a modelo super a. would like to know if anyone has info on a conversion barrel, i know they made them a few years back, but am having a hard time finding one. the gun has sentimental value to me, it was my dads and he died of brain cancer. its the only thing i got from him, so i would like to shoot it more but the ammo is hard to find in my area, and when you do find it it is around 20.00 a box. just wanted to know if anyone has any info or a barrel for one. thanks
Old August 28, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
xLPlushy

Pics and more info would be helpful.

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone
Old August 28, 2012, 11:59 AM   #3
mickey b

9mm conversion

it is a star modelo super a in 9mm largo. the star co. went out of business. sarco used to have the conversion barrel but that was years ago. probably have a gunsmith make one but finding one in my area is'nt looking that good. just thought i would ask around. thanks
Old August 28, 2012, 01:24 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

Well, maybe a 1000 round case of spanish surplus ammo would last you a while
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....ammo-9mm-largo
That's cheaper than 9mm white box from walmart.
Old August 28, 2012, 01:36 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Star line brass has case's for $87.50 for a lot of 500 pcs.
Old August 28, 2012, 02:10 PM   #6
CowTowner

Quote:
Well, maybe a 1000 round case of spanish surplus ammo would last you a while
That Santa Barbara is good stuff too. Wish I could find a case in .380 (9mm Corto).
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 28, 2012, 02:19 PM   #7
gyvel

I beleive it was Federal Ordnance that was selling Korean made stainless barrels for not only the Stars, but Astras and a few others as well. Alas, the company went out of business, and I guess Sarco bought the remaining stock.

I converted an old Star Modelo 1921, as well as a Super A and both work superbly with the Parabellum barrels.

They show up on eBay occasionally, but usually go for over a C note.

When FedOrd had the barrels, they were offered in standard conguration and extended and threaded for a silencer. For some reason the threaded ones usually don't sell for as much as the standards, but it's a simple matter to cut the threaded portion off and recrown the muzzle.
Old August 30, 2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Clark

I bought a couple Super B barrels from FAC back in the day.
I reamed one out to 9x23mm.
The looked like they were sintered or bead blasted.

http://www.facsupplystore.com/categories.asp?cat=62
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old October 17, 2012, 11:36 AM   #9
mickey b

found gunsmith

thanks for all your answers i found a local gunsmith that made a spacer to fill the head space it works great and only cost me 70.00 total, he even made me another ring in case i get another gun, alas i can shoot cheaper ammo now.
Old October 17, 2012, 06:32 PM   #10
iraiam

Many years ago, I converted a 9mm largo to 38 super auto. It was a Star model Super, at the time all I could get was Spanish surplus military ammo that were about 20% duds.

I machined the bolt face and extractor (didn't take much), also had the barrel re-worked for the .356 diameter 38 super ammo.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason