The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2009, 07:56 AM   #1
hoistfixer

Reloading 45 cal

Just beginning to reload and would appreciate input to the following questions:

1. Starting from 10% less than max. powder load, how many rounds of each powder increment is best for determining suitability (10, 20, 50 etc)?

2. What increment changes do most utilize (.1gr, .2gr etc) while working up to an optimum load?

Background:

.45 cal
Remington Case
CCI 300 Large Pistol Primers
Remington 230gr RN-FMJ bullet
IMR Hi-Skor 800-X
Starting 6.6gr
Max. 7.6gr

Thanks
Old February 18, 2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Sport45

Which .45? There's .45acp, .45Colt, .45gap, .45AR, .45 schofield...

In any case, why start 10% below max when a starting load is published? In your case I'd start at 6.6gr and load 15 or 20. Increment 0.2gr at a time until the load functions and groups well. I've found the "best" load is rarely the same as the max load.

Why 800-X? Are you just trying to use some up?
Old February 18, 2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Sevens

I typically go in 0.3 grain increments when I'm building new loads.
Old February 18, 2009, 08:56 AM   #4
CBP

Quote:
1. Starting from 10% less than max. powder load, how many rounds of each powder increment is best for determining suitability (10, 20, 50 etc)?
I live in the country, so I can load 3 - 5 rounds and go outside and shoot them, then head back to the basement to reload. If you have to travel before you can shoot them, I would load up 10 rounds each of the powder increments, mark them, and test fire, checking for accuracy, feeding, etc. Make some notes so you remember what powder charge was the best.

Quote:
2. What increment changes do most utilize (.1gr, .2gr etc) while working up to an optimum load?
This depends on how you are charging the case. If you have a powder dispenser, you may be limited to its capabilities. 0.2 gr. would be my suggestion for .45 ACP.

Also, I wouldn't load any at the maximum charge until you have tried out some batches at the lower increments. If you load up 5 batches of 10 in 0.2 grain increments starting at 6.6 gr. that will put you at 7.4 gr. for the top load. That's 50 rounds you get to test out, an hour or so at the range.
Old February 18, 2009, 10:13 AM   #5
hoistfixer

.45 ACP

I am reloading .45 ACP for use in a S&W 457S with a 3-3/4" barrel.
Old February 18, 2009, 10:31 AM   #6
cchardwick

If you have a place to shoot like just outside of your home or where you reload I wouldn't load more than five a time, go out and shoot them, and load more at a different powder level. I've found that sometimes just mid range is a full power load. For 45 ACP I usually go up 0.2 grains at a time and use 5 rounds. I can tell with two or three but use five so I can remember the feel of it for the next load. If you have to drive some distance to shoot you'd probably want to load up about five rounds at each power load from min to max. Also, if you use mixed brass you may want to try to get five different cases for each load because sometimes the case type can change the power level. I use a chronograph and measure the speed of my bullets for each load, that way I can dial in my loads to exactly what I want (in my case, I try to get my 230 grain cast loads equal to factory ball ammo, about 830 feet per second). You'll find that with any load there is a variation in bullet speed from many factors, so you need at least three to five to get a feel for the high and low velocity deviation.