The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 17, 2009, 05:12 PM   #1
dosjoel

Tornado type bore brushes. RH or LH twist or what?

Greetings,

I recently bought a "Twister Brass Bore Brush" from Kleen Bore. This is a Tornado style brush that does not have bristles sticking out but rather they are wound around the brush so there is no sharp contacting points. It came highly recommended for my Marlin 44 magnum and other weapons of that caliber such as my Colt and Sig in .45 acp.

Then, before I got around to using it, I saw similar but different brand brushes for sale at Bass Pro but they were labeled RH and LH (right hand and left hand) for the twist, whereas the Kleen Bore is not label for twist, there is just one kind.

Does it make a difference what twist the brush has? If not, why do they label some and not others? I really don't want to tear up my investments (barrels). I searched the net and could find no answer so I am coming to old faithful to see what y'all think about the subject.

In particular what do you think of;

1. tornado brushes in general

2. Whether RH or LH twist makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.
God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted." - Anonymous Soldier.
Old June 17, 2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Ruger4570

I love them for my shotguns, they really get the gunge out fast. As far as a rifled bore, I prefer "bristles" I cannot immagine a Tornado brush getting right tight into the corners of the rifling as a "brush" would.
Hey, I could be wrong...
Old June 17, 2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Scorch

I'm with Ruger4570 on this one. I have a few Tornado brushes for my shotguns, but not for my rifles and pistols. They work great for removing plastic fouling from shotgun bores, but I just don't feel that great about putting them in rifled barrels.
Old June 18, 2009, 10:40 AM   #4
MikeD99

I like the Hoppes Tornado brushes for cleaning the cylinders on my revolvers which is especially important after shooting .38 spl in a .357 or .44 spl in a .44 mag gun.

Mike D.