The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2013, 12:49 AM   #1
grisbald

Question of Aquila Brass

edit: It's 9mm brass.

Friend of mine brought over some brass he swept up at a range. Noticed some Aquila brass in there and it has like a dotted line around the case about 1/4" below case mouth. Is this like a case crimp for their bullet? I felt around with a paper clip, can't feel anything on the inside. Except for exterior appearance, can it be reloaded like normal brass?
Old August 19, 2013, 07:11 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

It is called a cannelure, and is imprinted at that location, right below the seated bullet's base, to assist in reducing bullet setback.

Load those cases without concern for the case cannelure.
Old August 19, 2013, 10:08 AM   #3
huntinaz

Yeah, pay no attention to the cannelure. The Aguila brass I've tried it 357 and 45 auto has been great.
Old August 19, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4
grisbald

Thx for the info.
Old August 19, 2013, 03:46 PM   #5
GJSchulze

My 147 gr 9mm bullets are long enough to put a bulge in Aguila cases with my Hornady LnL AP press. I don't know why. 115 gr bullets in a friend's Dillon doesn't bulge them. It's enough of a bulge that 95% of them won't fit a headspace gauge.
Old August 20, 2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

WESHOOT2 has it right.

I have some of this Aquila brass - quite a bit, actually. I load it per normal.
Old August 20, 2013, 11:30 PM   #7
GJSchulze

Quote:
I have some of this Aquila brass - quite a bit, actually. I load it per normal.
I'm not surprised. Findings like mine pertain to the bullets and equipment I use. But this is why I sort pistol brass by headstamp. If I didn't, I would probably still realize that Aguila (and CBC) were problematic. By sorting, I discovered it immediately.

I originally didn't intend to keep on sorting, I just did it because I was new to reloading and wanted to reduce the number of variables. Now that my brass is sorted, I keep to one HS and shoot that until it's done and then I move on to the next. That way when I shoot with other people, I can quickly look through my recovered brass and weed out the HS's I wasn't shooting for later sorting. This is all easier than the first time I sorted a few thousand.
Old August 21, 2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

9mm is worth sorting. I'm relatively new to loading 9's, so I'm still in denial about it. (Meaning, I DON'T sort by headstamp - yet.)

Most experienced loaders already know this, but for the rookies: It's good to sort by headstamp because of the differences in cartridge internal volume. Now (I believe) it's not that critical for most calibers; but in the case of 9mm, it probably is. The cartridge is so small, that minor differences in volume and mean big differences in pressure - with the same load recipe.

My hottest 9mm load is 6.1g AA5 w/ 124gJHP; and the headstamp doesn't seem to matter. And the chronograph doesn't show any unusual velocity fluctuations. Of course, I didn't check the headstamps - they could have all been the same

At any rate, I don't sort. And my two 9mm guns gobble up and spit out everything I feed them without any problems. So I have found no need to dig into that logistical nightmare of sorting.
Old August 21, 2013, 10:34 PM   #9
GJSchulze

Quote:
my two 9mm guns gobble up and spit out everything I feed them
I haven't gotten to the point where I'm testing for load accuracy. I want to and have what I need to do it, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

My two Springfields (XD and XDm) eat anything I feed them, but my press seems to chew more on some than others. I can either power through a bunch of Speer cases or keep bending over to pick up bullets that fall off of other cases or stuck primers or rounds that are just a hair fat.