The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 12, 2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Bankai

Winchester Model 94 help

Hi Guys-
I have a mid-eighties Winchester Model 94 AE XTR .30-30 that consistantly shoots about 8 inches high. I've dropped the rear sight as low as it will go and I've tried different ammo but it still shoots high. I thought a taller front sight would help. I took it to a gun show today and the parts guy said it was the tallest post he thought they made. He did mention that some of them have a ramp or a riser on them, mine does not. Any thoughts on how to correct this? I want to keep iron sights on the gun but I don't want to just "aim lower". Winchester doesn't seem to have any kind of warranty so my next option seems to be a gunsmith or their repair center. The gun was given to me by my Grandfather and is in great shape. I don't think he shot it very often. I thought about an after market sight but I haven't seen many and they seem to get bad reviews. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!! Just looking for ideas-
Thanks!
Old February 13, 2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Scorch

Remove the front sight, measure it, and then replace it with a sight that is .050"-.060" taller.
Old February 15, 2012, 03:57 PM   #3
PetahW

If your rifle has the front sight blade mounted directly in a barrel dovetail, and not mounted in a front sight ramp screwed to the barrel top - just be sure to order a replacement sight blade that has a "W" (wide/.531") base to fill the barrel dovetail, instead of the more normal "M" (medium/.340" width dovetail) width base that fits most front sight ramps.

I used a barrel-mounted sight on my .30-30 Trapper - that needed to be .570" high. YMMV.

Here's a selection of heights/sizes, along with bead types & sizes, from only one maker - Williams Gun Sight Co:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...ms+front+sight

Old February 25, 2012, 04:05 AM   #4
thibaultfelix40

94 sights

You can make a dovetail blank with a file from a piece of 1/8x1/2 flat steel, cut it off with a hack saw. Once you get it so it fits snug in the slot drill and tap it for #8-32 nylon screw. Put the dove tail in the slot. Cold blue a 8-32 galvanizsd nut. Screw the nut on an 1" 8-32 nylon bolt. Squirt the hole in the dove tail full of Locktite. Screw the bolt into the dove tail. Put a little more Loctite on and tighten down the nut. The screw and nut should be snug but not tight as......... You will now have a nylon bolt sticking up from the end of the barrel with a little stanchion formed by the nut. Go to the range with a sharp knife. When you get through you will have a white post. If you dont like white, you can use brass or blued sreel which you can paint.

Tags
.30-30 , model 94 , sights , winchester