The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 27, 2011, 03:59 PM   #1
ChaseA

First Gun Purchase - SemiAuto vs Revolver

I like the concept of the revolver more. Which would be more practical to have as my first and only gun (for a time at least)? Any advantages or disadvantages?
Old January 27, 2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Coltman 77

A revolver will make a very fine first handgun. Very basic manual of arms.

Go for it.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old January 27, 2011, 04:07 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

I like revolvers... but carry two autos..

Biggest advantage to carrying a revolver...is that if the gun fails to fire with a revolver..assuming its a double/single action..all you have to do is pull the trigger again to fire the next round.... with an auto you would have to manually rack the slide action back to load the next round.
Old January 27, 2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Because of it's basic design, and ease of operation a revolver would be a great choice.
If you want a centerfire, stay with the 38 Special, or preferably a 357 Magnum. The 357 will give you the advantage of shooting lighter 38 Spcl rounds until you want or need the more powerful and costly 357.
If you are thinking of a rimfire, there are several single action revolvers that run form acceptable to excellent in quality for reasonable prices.
Unfortunately, in a double action rimfire, a rock solid reliable model can be costly.
Check in your area for ranges that rent guns. Try out several that you think you might like.
Welcome to the forum, and good luck.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; January 27, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old January 27, 2011, 04:34 PM   #5
peacefulgary

I think that if you intend to carry this weapon then a compact or sub-compact autoloader is the way to go.
A large and heavy revolver will not be something you will want to carry, and a snub-nose light-weight revolver can be a real challenge to shoot well.

But if this is going to be a house gun that is seldom if ever carried, then a revolver is fine.
Old January 27, 2011, 04:35 PM   #6
pilpens

revolver or semi ---- Depends on primary purpose, your abilities and willingness to train.
In general, DA/SA revolvers are easier to use but hold less ammo than semis. Revolvers are also less likely to fail --- failure due to poor grip/limp wrist, stove pipes, etc. Revolvers tend to require less maintenance.
Manual of arms- semi tend to require more practice than revolvers.
If .22 rimfire handgun - most likely will be a target/plinking handgun, I would go Semi.
Old January 27, 2011, 05:11 PM   #7
glockcompact

Quote:
The 357 will give you the advantage of shooting lighter 38 Spcl rounds until you want or need the more powerful and costly 357.
+1

My vote for a first time gun owner when I don't know their willingness to get training would be a 357Mag.

Great house gun / range gun with a lot of versatility.
Old January 27, 2011, 05:20 PM   #8
jad0110

If you lean towards a revolver, go for it. They are fine handguns for beginners and experts alike. Same can be said for autos - granted, for nervous beginners the loading/unloading of a revolver is a simpler to grasp concept.

We can assist in narrowing your choices a bit if you can provide the following:

Primary use
Secondary use (if any)
Budget
Used or new preference
Construction preference (steel, polymer, aluminum, titanium, etc)
Finish (blue, stainless, nickel, etc)
Caliber preferences (if any)
Old January 27, 2011, 05:22 PM   #9
cwok

Ruger Single Action -- 22/22Magnum is a fun firest gun

They are single action pistols (cowboy style) so they are not the type used for defensive shooting (double action revolver or some type of semi-auto).

But, they are fun.
The Single-SIx convertible 22 I've seen has adjustable sights and has two cylinders -- one is for cheap .22 Long Rifle ammo and the second is for .22Magnum -- the ammo is more expensive than 22 LR but still cheaper than center fire (9mm/.38/.375 etc).

Price for one of them is probably a little over $400 for new -- but if you enjoy shooting you'll find that inexpensive ammo allows a lot more shooting.
Buying one or two boxes of ammo when you purchase a pistol doen't really prepare you for the annual cost of shooting as a hobby - especially if you shoot pistols.
Old January 27, 2011, 05:29 PM   #10
Ronbert

Revolver is probably a little safer because its function and whether or not it is loaded is so much more obvious than an auto. This is important for the rarely-goes-shooting owner and for other untrained household members.

For someone who shoots enough to get proficient and doesn't live with other untrained people this is not so important.

Another good thing about revolvers is that if you reload, you don't have to chase your brass all over the place to recover it......

I recommend a .357 revolver as a first gun unless the person will consider a .22 pistol as a first gun to learn on. The .22 should be the 2nd gun if possible.
Old January 27, 2011, 05:48 PM   #11
ChaseA

Thanks all for the great advice.
Here are a few clarifications for you guys (especial you Jad)

Primary use would probably be target practice and protection in the house
Secondary use would be to conceal it.
Budget limit would probably be about $4 - 600
Used or new preference New would be preferred but I'm open to used

The rest isn't altogether important to me.
Old January 27, 2011, 06:07 PM   #12
chris in va

Given that criteria, probably a semiauto. More rounds, quicker/easier to reload, less costly ammo if you go with 9mm.

I had a 357/38 for a while, just couldn't warm up to it. I like my Kahr much better.
Old January 27, 2011, 06:51 PM   #13
peacefulgary

Quote:
Primary use would probably be target practice and protection in the house
Secondary use would be to conceal it.
Budget limit would probably be about $4 - 600
Used or new preference New would be preferred but I'm open to used
Considering this, here are a few you might want to check out-

Ruger SR9c
S&W M&P9c
Glock 19
SA XD9 compact
Old January 27, 2011, 10:28 PM   #14
WESHOOT2

for YOUR question

I most highly recommend a 4" Ruger GP100 (KGP-141). Or two.
Can substitute a 4" S&W 686.

They get you started, and it is not possible to out-grow them. At some point, if you become comfortable with the idea, you can ADD whatever you wish.
Old January 27, 2011, 11:14 PM   #15
Justice06RR

Quote:
Ruger SR9c
S&W M&P9c
Glock 19
SA XD9 compact
These are excellent guns and all within your price range for a semiauto if you choose to go that route.

The SR9c and XD9c both have the extended magazines with your purchase so it is great for range practice with the full mag, and the compact mag for concealment.

Go to a few gun shops and look around/feel how these guns fit your hand. Good luck!
Old January 28, 2011, 07:58 AM   #16
jad0110

Quote:
I most highly recommend a 4" Ruger GP100 (KGP-141). Or two.
Can substitute a 4" S&W 686.
Both of these revolvers meet your criteria, though NIB 686s are darned difficult to find under $600 these days. NIB, the .357 Mag 3" or 4" GP100 or 3" SP-101 are probably your best bets. Lots of folks (including me) have had great experiences with the Taurus 66 .357 Magnum as well.

Used, there are many more choices. My favorite all around handgun is my 4" blued Ruger Police Service Six (fixed sight version of the Security Six) in .357 Magnum. These revolvers have been out of production for more than 20 years, replaced by the bulkier (though still nice) GP100. I paid $275 for it a little over a year ago. It is a medium frame revolver, so it is well suited for home and range use, yet it is still just compact enough to be a solid choice for concealed carry if you invest in a quality gun belt and holster. It is reliable, and points very nicely in my hands.

Other great choices on the used market include S&W K Frame based revolvers in .357 (Model 13, 19, 65 and 66) or .38 Special (Model 10, 12, 15, 64 and 67), and most can be had for within your budget limit.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:32 AM   #17
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
My vote for a first time gun owner when I don't know their willingness to get training would be a 357Mag.

Great house gun / range gun with a lot of versatility.
+1. A Ruger GP100 or a S&W 686 are perfect first guns and are great for either range work or HD.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:46 AM   #18
therewolf

Well, OP, it IS harder to play Russian Roulette with an autoloader...

Seriously, IMO, go for what you like. You can always get something else later.
It's sort of like getting a first car. Until you get some experience, it's hard
to focus on your actual preferences, which may change later, anyway.
Old January 28, 2011, 09:25 AM   #19
wogpotter

Revolver.
Why?
Simpler, safer & plenty powerful enough to learn pistolcraft with.
There are a lot of incidents of those new to the craft messing up with self-loaders than revolvers. Its not possible to load a revolver backwards, unlike a certain brand of autoloader who feature it on the front page of the catalog..

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 28, 2011, 10:22 AM   #20
OscarTurner

If you have a range that rents guns, go try a bunch. I usually lean towards revolver when someone asks a question like this. But, different people have different understandings and comfort levels with guns. A revolver is easy to understand so you can spend more time learning to shoot it and less time trying to understand it. But, I started with a Beretta 92FS and I was comfortable with it from day one.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:03 PM   #21
ChaseA

Thank you all so much for all the advice. What a warm welcome to the forum. This gives me plenty of choices and information. I'm probably going to keep reading and searching before I buy one in about a month or so.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:39 PM   #22
AK103K

I think what you shoot the best with and are the most comfortable with is what should make your choice for you. Dont be sucked into one or the other because someone thinks its a "beginners" or "experts" gun.

You need to decide for yourself what you like and are comfortable with. The best way to do that is to shoot as many as you can and see how things go.

Regardless which one you choose, you need to spend enough time with it to be proficient with it, and to know what to expect from it.

Also dont be sucked into the "you need to carry a small gun" mentality. Its normally not a "truth", and many of the smaller guns can be a challenge to shoot well with, regardless of experience.

With properly working guns, I doubt youll see much difference in reliability. You'll hear revolvers are more reliable, but thats not always the case, and when they do have a problem, it can often be something not dealt with in the heat of the moment. In the rare cases an auto does stop, its usually pretty quick and simple to get them running again.

If you get a bullet jump forward, or have the ejector rod come loose on a revolver, or get junk under the extractor due to improper reloading, etc, you probably wont even be able to get it open (or closed) to deal with it.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:54 PM   #23
bighead46

I own a lot of both types. I would highly recommend a revolver because it is an easier gun to learn to shoot. You can start by cocking back the hammer and shooting it single action. Once you are hitting the target you can then master double action shooting. At that point you could switich to a semi-auto pistol HOWEVER if you plan on doing a lot of shooting you will want to reload. With a semi-auto the brass goes flying all over the place. Some shooting ranges don't want you running around picking up the spent brass. For that reason alone you might do better with the revolver.
Like others, I'd recommend a 357 Magnum with the idea you will learn to shoot using 38 Special ammunition. If recoil is causing a problem a revolver can be used with very light Wadcutter charges that have no recoil. You don't have that option with a semi-auto pistol because recoil is needed to reload the weapon.
Think about a quality used DA revolver. You will probably be able to resell it in a year's time or so for the same amount you paid for it.
Old January 28, 2011, 02:18 PM   #24
Webleymkv

If you like a revolver better, there really isn't any good reason why you shouldn't get one. For a double-duty home defense and concealment gun, a medium-frame .357 Magnum or .38 Special revolver with a 2 1/2-3" barrel is probably your best bet. As far as new guns go, the two best options would be either a S&W 686 with either a 2 1/2 or 3" barrel or a Ruger GP100 with a 3" barrel. If you're willing to buy used, a Ruger Security Six, Police Service Six, or Speed Six with a 2 3/4" barrel or a S&W M19 or 66 with a 2 1/2" barrel or M10, 13, 64, or 65 with a 3" barrel would all be good options as well.
Old January 28, 2011, 02:32 PM   #25
rb0211

I know this is your first purchase, but really depends on what your experience is with handguns.

If you have done a lot of shooting, then go with what has worked best for you in the past. If you haven't done a lot of shooting, I recommend you take a class to learn the basics of safe handling and shooting first. Then, if you have friends that shoot, ask them to take you out and let you try theirs. If you don't have access to any through friends, then rent a variety of handguns at a range if you can. It's worth it - even if you have to drive a few hours and spend $100 to try out a few. it will probably save you money in the long run.

Many on this board can attest to the "buy one, sell it, buy another, sell it, buy another..." dance that comes from not having tried out the guns you buy before you buy them. you can waste a LOT of money doing that... as my wife will tell you

Tags
comparison , first gun , revolver , semiauto