The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2000, 06:18 PM   #1
Futo Inu

I saw they made a 6-shell holder, and a "shorty" 4-shell holder, but couldn't figure out why anyone would get the 4 over the 6 (same price). When I put the 6 on my Rem 870 today, I discovered why- the pump handle can't cycle all the way with the full-length 6-shell holder in place, so apparently the 6-shell holder is only for the 1100, 1187, and other semi-autos - for the pumps, you'll need the 4-shell holder. Damn....20% restocking fee
Old May 31, 2000, 06:23 PM   #2
jthuang

Actually, only the 870 Express and Wingmaster should have the "too-long" slides for the six shell sidesaddle. The 870 Police should have no trouble with a six shell saddle.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old May 31, 2000, 08:41 PM   #3
Postman

Try triming the front stock on the left side.
Old May 31, 2000, 09:55 PM   #4
garyo

Don't send it back. Just remove the forend assy. and cut off about 1 1/2 inches. Easy as pie. Worked great with my 870.

------------------
Take Care
Old June 1, 2000, 10:01 AM   #5
Futo Inu

Postman and garyo, I think you're saying the same thing (?). Yeah, I thought about that, but couldn't bring myself to scar the shotgun like that just for two more shotshells.

Justin, I really don't understand what you're saying at all. Mine is an Express Super Magnum, which if anything, has a longer receiver than a std. 3" 870, and 6-shell holder wont work with it, as I pointed out, so it certainly wouldn't work on a std. 870. i.e. the problem is not "too long", the problem is "too short".
Old June 1, 2000, 10:35 AM   #6
jthuang

Actually, the problem is the length of the slide, not the receiver. Your slide is about 1.75" too long on the rear end -- that extra length would slam into the six shell saddle. The four shell saddle should work quite well as the extra 1.75" will not hit the saddle.

The standard Remington 870 Express (3" chamber) and Wingmaster share this long slide. The 870 Police has a special short slide that obviates the six shell saddle problem.

A Express Super Magnum -- 3.5" chamber? You must be a turkey (or Canadian goose) hunter.

Justin
Old June 1, 2000, 04:02 PM   #7
Futo Inu

Oh, I see what you're saying about the slide length. No, not a goose hunter - I got the shotgun in trade for legal services. Funny you mention that - today when I was returning the 6-shell holder, the guy at the gun shop showed me this new Benelli pump gun with a pistol grip and with ultra-light polymer stock (even the receiver is polymer-wrapped aluminum) - presumbably for HD or LEO defense - anyway, the shotgun is chambered for 3 1/2" shells!?! My shoulder was hurting just thinking about it. 3" is probably overkill for 2-legged critters...
Old June 1, 2000, 04:39 PM   #8
jthuang

That's the new Benelli Nova, if I'm not mistaken. I thought it was a hunting gun.

I agree even the 3.0" magnums are overkill for home defense. Any decent 2.75" shell will do the job nicely.