The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Z400ACDC

Are the NEW Franchi a good value?

A friend of mine bought a pretty 12g. It has some nice engraving and lumber.
Old February 9, 2013, 07:53 PM   #2
BigJimP

Maybe ....maybe not ...

In my opinion the Franchi and a lot of other guns ...are a significant step below Beretta and Browning especially in Over Unders. But Franchi is also significantly cheaper...than most anything made by either Beretta or Browning.....

You can tell the quality by what kind of stain is on the "lumber" ....its in the internals, the steel, the parts, the trigger, the firing pins...etc....
Old February 9, 2013, 09:56 PM   #3
barnbwt

My Diamond Elite from Franchi (back when they sold them) has been fantastic, though it is far from a high-end gun. Considering it was about the same price, it far outpaces the Huglus/Stoegers that are anywhere near the same price point. Now that I know I love O/Us, I'd be more willing to plunk down $1000+ for a nicer gun that will last longer (probably), but toeing the waters for a mere 600 was a wise decision in my mind. FWIW, the interlocking surfaces appeared very similar to the Berettas (I think it was that brand, might have been Benellis) that I looked at, but the finish was simple as opposed to jeweled. Just as tight though. The stock is a clear, straight (i.e. cheap) walnut, but more than functional.

Most importantly, it is accurate in my hands. I had owned a Franchi I-12 semiauto before that I had to windage the heck out of to hit anything, and it only liked full power loads. The Diamond is a laser beam that points like an extension of my body, and "cycles" faster than any semi. Franchi is firmly between Stoeger and Benelli, which I have found means a fully functional gun that has no frills.

TCB