The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 2, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1
L_Killkenny

Your cartridge list........

I was re-reading (for about the tenth time) a few of the chapters from E. Keith's "Sixguns" last night. In this book he list the only cartridges he thought were relevant at the time. His list (revolver only) included .22lr, .25 Stevens rimfire, .32 S&W Long, .38sp, .357, .44sp, .45colt. Sure there's a couple I may of forgot. He also added in his supplement (written 10 or so years after the original publication) the .22M and the .44M. Well Things have changed since then with some of his cartridge being history and others being added so I started thinkin what revolver cartridges I thought were really relevant/useful today. Our list is made easier by time as most of the crappy stuff is long gone but Keith was around to see many many cartridges that even in their best day were really lame. My list:

- .22lr. Cheap and doesn't need reloading. Despite lack of power that's 2 big thumbs up from me.
- .32 H&R Mag. We need something between the .22lr and .38sp. Much better for woods work than any rimfire and one of my favorite cartridges.
- .38sp. Not a fan of the .38sp myself but if I was prone to carrying a lightweight revolver I'd change up pretty quick.
- .357M. Duh. Everyone needs a DA .357M.
- .44sp. I really tried to leave this off the list despite my like of the cartridge. I don't think it's needed but then again if I was gonna chose something in the mid .4's I might very well pick this one over the .45C and the .44M.
- .45 Colt. Like with the .44sp I tried to leave it off. But dang it borders on criminal for a company to manufacture a big bore handgun and not offer it in .45C.
- .44M. IMO hands down the winner for the mid .4's but ya now what? I just don't like it. No style. I'd buy a .44sp, .45C or even a .41M (which doesn't even make my list) before the .44M.
- Something big. I'm not up on any of the powerhouses and don't have a need for one myself. Sure someone can toss in some input on which they think should stay or go. If I had to pick it would be one that could also shoot .45C's.

So that's it, all we need. Everything else can go in the wastebasket. But to tell the truth I didn't leave much off for cartridges currently being offered in guns. The .22M and .17hmr are cartridges I think are foolhardy in handguns, the .327 didn't make my cut, either did the .41M despite the honorable mention. Obviously I didn't touch on traditional semi auto cartridges that can sometimes be had in revolvers. What else did I miss? What would you toss out or add?
Old January 2, 2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Bob Wright

Well, I, for one, would keep the .22 WMR in a revolver especially if .22 WRF ammunition were readily available.

I'd drop the .32 H&R in favor of a good .32-20.

And I'd add the .38-40, especially if it were offered in a convertable with extra 10mm cylinder.

And think I'd like a small frame single action in .25 K-Hornet.

Bob Wright
Old January 2, 2013, 03:58 PM   #3
mmb713

-22lr for sure is relevant.
-I'd leave out the 32s. H&R has been replaced by the .327 Federal which is practically obsolete due to lack of consumer interest. Definitely not relevant.
-38 Special is still going strong, especially in snub noses.
-357 Magnum, still the most popular Magnum revolver cartridge.
-41 Magnum, while a great round, has been circling the drain pretty much since it was introduced. It does have its cult following but ammo is hard to find on the shelves and component bullet selection is pathetic. Not relevant.
-44 Magnum definitely relevant, 44 Special not so much anymore. Anything it can do the 44 Magnum can do and do it better.
-45 Colt is still going strong, especially in SASS. Relevant, especially to me since I load it and shoot it and love it.
-All the big super Magnums (454, 460, 500 S&W, etc.) are more boutique rounds without much broad appeal. Not very relevant to me.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm not throwing anything away.

I love them all!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:56 PM   #5
spacecoast

The .45 ACP makes a great revolver cartridge.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Obviously you do not take into consideration big game/ dangerious game hunting with a revolver.
Had you, the 445 Casuall, 460 S&W, and 500 S&W would have also made the list. Although my own biggest wheel gun hunter is a 44 Magnum Super Blackhawk, I certainly wouldn't throw away those three big boomers as not being useful revolver rounds.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 2, 2013, 06:12 PM   #7
BigJimP

I must admit, I'd consider adding a .475 Linebaugh ...to your list...

.....( in a Freedom Arms large frame )....
---------------------
I'm not a big fan of the in-between calibers...so I restrict my collecting and shooting on revolvers, at least right now to:

.22 lr

.38 spl

.357 mag

.44 mag

( .475 Linebaugh ) ...maybe.../ I have another birthday coming up - and a new Freedom Arms might be a nice present...
Old January 2, 2013, 06:14 PM   #8
RJM

Honestly, I think the .327 is a far better cartridge than the .32 H&R Mag so I would go with that. I really like the .32s and with one gun you can fire like 5 different .32s. Pretty versatile.

I would go

.22 lr.
.32 S&W long
.327 Federal Magnum
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
.44 Magnum
.45 Colt
Old January 2, 2013, 07:08 PM   #9
black mamba

I would add the 22 WMR and replace the 44 Special with the 41 Magnum.

For the big bore crowd, I would also add the 475 Linebaugh.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Bob Wright

mmb713 says:

Quote:
-44 Magnum definitely relevant, 44 Special not so much anymore. Anything it can do the 44 Magnum can do and do it better.
Except be made on the medium (Colt SA size) frame.

black mamba said:
Quote:
...........and replace the 44 Special with the 41 Magnum.
Well, the .44 Special has the advantage of making use of the full range of bullets available for the .44 Magnum.

Bob Wright
Old January 2, 2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Bob Wright

Cheapshooter:
Quote:
Obviously you do not take into consideration big game/ dangerious game hunting with a revolver.
Had you, the 445 Casuall, 460 S&W, and 500 S&W would have also made the list. Although my own biggest wheel gun hunter is a 44 Magnum Super Blackhawk, I certainly wouldn't throw away those three big boomers as not being useful revolver rounds.
Those guns go beyond my concept of a handgun. They require a revolver of such weight and proportions that a rifle or carbine is better suited to the hunt.

I'm not putting those guns down, but they are as practical to me as having a .505 Gibbs or .475 Nitro Express in my battery. They just fall outside my parameters of a handgun.

Bob Wright
Old January 2, 2013, 10:56 PM   #12
Super Sneaky Steve

I kinda skipped over the 40's, 41's and 44's. For me light and fast is done by .357's and everything else is taken care of in 45.

I don't see much need for anything in between.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:37 AM   #13
TennJed

Quote:
The .22M and .17hmr are cartridges I think are foolhardy in handguns
22mag in a Ruger Single Six is a great small game hunting round. It is a great way to train kids on handgun hunting. My first handgun hunting was with 22mag and I will do so wilth my children.

Also a snubby 8 round 22 mag could be a SD option for someone that is recoil shy and/or has trouble with semi auto slides. Not many light weight, low recoil options in a revolver espically with 7,8, or 9 rounds. The 22 mags fills this void (even if it is not a huge market)

I think it is foolhardy to discount the 22mag
Old January 3, 2013, 02:03 AM   #14
rclark

My cartridge list is simple :

.22LR
.357mag
.44Spec
.44Mag
.45 Colt

Not an 'between' caliber guy. Have enough 'fun' handloading the above list and plain don't see a need to add to it. In fact, I could 'back off' and just have .22 and .45 Colt .... But then I do like the .44Spec... And the .357 is nice to plink with once in awhile (or when the wife wants to do some easy shoot'n although lately she likes to shoot her little .22 Bearcat ) .

Note I didn't list .38s because I don't own any .38s or plan to. So I will load down .357 cartridges to .38Spec power levels for general shooting. I do own .44Spec only revolvers, hence .44Spec in the list.... Plus my Ruger .44Spec flattops will handle loads to do just about everything that needs doing. Really if I was to remove one from my list it would be the .44Mag as what the .44Spec can't handle, my .45 Colt revolvers can ....

For the most part, the list is a personal thing, as well all see cartridges a bit differently I think.... and justify each one .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:46 AM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

since this is the revolver forum, these are my revolver chamberings ( & I think all my chamberings have a specific use )

22 LR... ( have both single & double action revolvers in this caliber )
22 Magnum Centerfire... ( converted double action )
22 Hornet, fast twist... ( converted double action )
30 Carbine... ( single action only )
32 S&W... very fun & efficient cartridge to shoot ( have both single & double action revolvers in this caliber )
32 H&R Magnum... ( have both single & double action revolvers in this caliber )
38 S&W... very fun & efficient cartridge to shoot ( have both single & double action revolvers in this caliber )
357 Magnum... ( double action only, so far )
357 Remington Maximum... ( double action only, so far )
40 S&W/ 10 mm / 10 mm Magnum... ( double action only, converted S&W 610 shoots all 3 )
44 Bulldog... ( single action only )
44 Special...( double action only, so far )
44 Magnum...( double action only, so far )
45 Colt... ( single action only )
454 Casull...( double action only, so far )
50 A.E... ( single action only )
Old January 3, 2013, 09:02 AM   #16
L_Killkenny

Quote:
I included a BFR on the last item of my list. Just didn't know enough about them to pick which one.

Quote:
Honestly, I think the .327 is a far better cartridge than the .32 H&R Mag so I would go with that.
Great thing about life, pick what ya want and go with it. But while the .327 may be hotter does that really make it better? Not to me, not for anyone for that matter. We have no use for a .32 hotter than the H&R for we have the .357M. Is the point of buying a .327 so you can shoot all the .32's valid. Maybe, but I could care less about shooting the .327. Apparently not many do.

Quote:
22mag in a Ruger Single Six is a great small game hunting round.
Maybe so but the .32H&R Single Six is a much better small game rig. Better thump, a whole nother class, and quieter to boot. Same applies for recoil sensitive SD shooters in lightweight revolvers.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:29 AM   #17
kraigwy

Quote:
I'm not throwing anything away
Same here,

None, not my Great Grandpa's 44 Russian, or my 7.62X38 Nagant..........Nothing.

Not even my Beretta Jetfire 25 ACP, its the ony I have when I need to wack myself in between the eyes with every piece of brass that comes out of it.

Might pick up something wierd, who knows. Everything has it purpose and uses.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; January 3, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:34 AM   #18
Magnum Wheel Man

I don't own one, but in all fairness, reloading the 327 makes the cartridge even more versitile in a revolver... on my list, I don't list 38 Special... reason being, I'm better off down loading the 357 magnum, than worry about, or fighting the carbon ring from firing the shorter cartridge in the deeper chamber... same can be said about the 327... with a Trailboss load, I'm sure it could be loaded to around 32 S&W levels, & yet, still be loaded to 327 pressures, with no carbon ring build ups...

with my S&W 610, I'm still trying to justify the 40 S&W, because with mine chambered for 10 mm Magnum, ( which the cases are much harder to come by ) I could do the same thing as with the 327... there is just so many 40 S&W cases laying around ( a buddy gave me about 1000 cleaned & deprimed range cases, & I don't have a 40 S&W auto ) & I probably don't have 50 of the 10mm cases, because of that...
Old January 3, 2013, 11:28 AM   #19
gak

Some good choices here.
- .22 LR - of course
- .32 H&R I echo the positive comments by L Kilkenny and others made -- enormously enjoyable and versatile little round that nicely spans the very wide gap from .22 to .38/.357, and does the snubbie thing better than the .38/.357. Perhaps my favorite cartridge. I too don't have much use for the .327 as a discreet purchase, but have nevertheless been a fan of it's existence and critic of Ruger, Federal etc for their mismanagement (IMO) of the round's marketing, ammo/component availbility etc. That said, given the opportunity would love to convert one of my .32 Single Sixes as a "just because" win-win proposition, the carbon ring shooting H&R's then notwithstanding.
- .38 - with the .357 I no longer see it as a discreet purchase, but they're a perrenially useful cartridge and what I shoot most in my .357s--agin the carbon ring notwithstanding ...and very versatile, especially for snubbies.
- .357 - perhaps most versatile cartridge on the planet, it's just so obnoxious in most non-.38-level loadings which to me are also the only point to have/shoot. It is what it is. Still, can't argue the enormous usefulness of the cartridge and I agree everyone has to have one in a DA, and I love my Montado so chambered. However, I only hve use for the one in SA so I want to convert my 5.5" New Vaquero to a .38-40/.40/10 badly!
- .44 Special - Maybe tied with the .32 H&R as my favorite carteridge. I echo Bob Wright's and other's positive thoughts here. Very versatile and potentially powerful cartridge while still being "friendly" to shoot. Yes. The .44 Mag does it all just more, but I find I shoot my midframe Special ¤uch more these days... That said,
- .44 Mag - the king, incredibly versatile, and superior to .45 in off-the shelf loadings/availblility. As large a frame/cartridge as I need. Desdpite my .44 Special leanings, I will not lose my .44 Mag (either).
- I echo the thoughts by Bob Wright I think of no need (for me) for a BFR. I'm glad they exist for that rare need nd for those who enjoy, but I'm not going to Alaska any time soon, and if I need something that big and powerful, I reach for a rifle.

Last edited by gak; January 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:46 AM   #20
L_Killkenny

The only reason, and mean ONLY reason, I included the .38sp is I'm not talkin guns, I'm talkin cartridges and for the general public the .38sp is a great, easy to shoot, cost effective round. Just doesn't apply to me or many of you being handloaders. I don't have much time for .38sp only guns and they wouldn't make my "gun" list but the cartridge still should be relevant. All IMO of coarse.

Other than that some great added input from you all.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:51 AM   #21
gak

L Kilkenny, I certainly didn't mean to diminish the .38--shoot more of that than anything else for reasons stated. The .38 will always be around, and justifiably so.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:40 PM   #22
mrt949

Owned 22lr,22mag,32 hr mag,38 sp ,38 sw, 357 mag,357 max,41mag,44mag.
TODAY 22lr ,38 sp ,357mag .
Now life is simple .

Last edited by mrt949; January 3, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:17 PM   #23
Nanuk

My Revolver list is simple:

22LR
357 Magnum
44 magnum
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Last edited by Nanuk; January 3, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:41 PM   #24
Tad_T

For revolvers I use the following calibers:

.22 LR/.22 Magnum
.38 Special/.357 Magnum
.44 Special/.44 Magnum
Old January 3, 2013, 06:44 PM   #25
spacecoast

My revolvers:

.22LR
.38 special
.357 magnum
.44 magnum
.45 ACP

I'd like to add .44 special to this list if I can trade the gun I have listed in the Handguns section.