The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 29, 2012, 08:59 AM   #1
tristar viper

holster options for XD 9mm sub compact

My wife is looking into what holster she wants for her new XD. She isn't sure what style she wants to try. She carried her Bersa in an IWB Comp-Tac in the small of her back. This XD is thicker, heavier, and she may wanna try another type of carry configuration.
My wife isn't very big; 5'4" and about 125-130 pounds. She is very self conscious about people having any indication she is carrying a gun, at least I get that impression, and I don't know if she'd actually admit that....but the less printing the better. Cost not an option here.
So if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I would like to hear them.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:23 PM   #2
wbw

Here is an IWB since no one else is offering anything up:
http://www.shtfgear.com/Holster-by-M...CE-1-SPR-XD-SC

I just ordered one for my SR9c. 30 day money back guarantee and lifetime warrenty.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:01 PM   #3
tristar viper

I was looking for real-world experience with this gun and various holsters. I'm kinda surprised not much is being offered up. Maybe not many guys carry this gun or something.....I don't know.
Old December 29, 2012, 08:56 PM   #4
tgreening

I carry a 9mm xdm compact IWB using a galco kingtuc and I'm very happy with it. Many will say go with a crossbreed as it's "the best", but truthfully they're all pretty much kydex and leather. Unless somebody really screws up the fit I don't see much difference. I opted out of the crossbreed because they mix religious views with business products and I disagree with that practice. Other than that I'm sure it's a fine product and you wouldn't go wrong if you chose that way.

Plenty of folks will advise against your wife carrying in the small of her back due to potential spinal injuries in event of a fall. You may view it as remote, but you never know. I took a spill in my driveway this weekend dismounting the 4 wheeler in snowy conditions. Both feet went right out and I went down hard. The only thing stopping me from going down on my back was bouncing my head off my bike which was kind enough to intervene on my behalf. Instead I just busted my arse. I don't carry small of back so no worries there, but it does illustrate how unexpected things can happen.

I've tried a few OWB paddle type holsters, some OWB that the belt slips through, etc, and they're ok if you are dressing kind of heavy and plan to stay that way throughout the day, but they do tend to stick out a bit. I've done the arm pit thing as well and believe it's my least favorite to date

Personally I'm not extremely worried about printing some. I've stood right next to some of my city's finest in nothing more than a t-shirt and jeans, knowing I'm printing more than a bit, and never been called on it. People tend to see what they expect to see, and most people don't expect to see Suzy Q Public wearing a firearm, or John Q Public for that matter.
Old December 30, 2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Sixer

IWB or OWB, right behind the hip at about 4:30, 15-20 degree forward cant... IMHO this combo is hard to beat.

http://youtu.be/F2c1-xa9Gfo

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:31 PM   #6
ShootingNut

Here is an unusual carry option.
http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/

I like my Kholster IWB Crescent for my M&P compact.
http://www.kholster.com/
Old December 31, 2012, 09:44 AM   #7
tristar viper

I have been instructed to clarify a mistake I made in the original post; she carries the gun around her back at about the 4:00 position, not in the small of her back.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:48 AM   #8
tristar viper

The link to the Sneaky Pete holster is very cool....I would consider that for my little Taurus. They make one for the XD sub compact too for $55.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:29 AM   #9
doctoss

I carry mine in a IWB Milt Sparks. The crossbreed is a little more comfortable, but since I had to wait so long on the Milt Sparks I feel I have to use it most.