The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 12, 2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Shadi Khalil

New Red Dot

Good evening and happy Friday all.

Two days ago, I was unpacking the car after a wonderful 5 days house/pet sitting for the in laws. Well, to put itmore accurately, the wife sat house and watched pet while I hung out in the range I've built for myself on their property. Anyways, I digress..

As I was unloading my Ruger 10/22, it slipped out of the bottom of the riddle bag, bounced of the bumper and landed on its sights. While they did not break off, they are pretty mangled. I went ahead and ordered a pair of Williams fire sights which I've been meaning to get for some time now any ways. They will be here in one long week.

Today I was at the wally world getting baby supplies and while checking out the ammo I noticed all the different scopes and decided to pick some thing cheap to mess around with at the range.

I picked up a Simmons 1x24mm Red Dot scope. I did a quick Google search while standing in the isle and didn't find much of anything. I decided I would give it a try and if I didn't like it, I'll send the wife to return it.

I mounted it to my rifle and some what zeroed it in and I have to say, it does not seem like the worst thing in the world. However, I have nothing to base it on as this is my first red dot. It has 5 dot sizes and 11 brightness settings. I spent a few minutes making adjustments and then fired a few shots from only 10 yards away and it seemed alright.

The scope, rings, battery and lens covers cost a staggering $50 so I'm not expecting the world from it. Anybody on the forum own a Simmons red dot? Should I expect this thing to crap out before I get it to the range tomorrow? I'll be sure to post a range report tomorrow after the range.
Old October 12, 2013, 04:39 AM   #2
PetahW

FWIW, one of my Grandsons has had a $29.95 red dot sight on his 10/22 for almost 10 years now, w/o issue one - and he shoots the snot out of it, every chance he gets.

Old October 15, 2013, 07:02 AM   #3
Ibmikey

Shooting a red dot is a bit different than a magnified scope, the dot is large and can cover the target at ranges thus limiting accuracy. A red dot such as yours is very popular and can be had for as little as ten bucks or in the hundreds, the simmons is probably ok for your 10-22 but years ago I tried one on an AR and the dot disappeared after the third shot, just my experience. Spend more money and you will get something that will last a long time. Redfield has the Counterstrike that is receiving great magazine reviews (made in China) but I would like to read individual user experiences before spending $200 bucks. Bottom line is red dots come in all shapes and sizes and prices, try to research them before buying --but the lower cost scopes usually get replaced with better quality. One of my friends adheres to the "buy quality, buy once" idiology, I tend to fumble along and collect useless items for the closet. :-)
Old October 15, 2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Picher

I've mounted Simmons red dots on several guns, including 20 gauge shotguns, handguns, and rifles. It's great for kids and people who haven't used scopes much. I like them on my Ruger MKII handguns.

Every grandkid who's gone hunting with me have used either a .243 Win Handi-Rifle or H&R shotgun with a Simmons or other red dot. With a fine dot, they're pretty accurate out to 100 yards. Kids do great on critters and birds with the 20 gauge.