The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 3, 2013, 09:27 AM   #26
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
The LEOSA notwithstanding, why wouldn't a person qualify with the same gun he carries?
'Cause some of us carry different guns, depending on circumstances. My "always" gun is a Ruger LCP, but my primary deep concealment weapon is a Walter PPS (soon to be replaced by a Springfield XDS) and my regular concealed weapon under a suitcoat or jacket is a Taurus PT-145 (probably soon to be replaced by a 4.5" Springfield XDM).

I usually qualify with either the Taurus or the Walther, but wouldn't want to be restricted from carrying whichever suited my needs on any given situation.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old May 3, 2013, 10:40 AM   #27
kraigwy

I'm of a different school of thought. I don't believe in changing guns.
Using one gun for self defense and getting to know that gun, means you don't have to think. You develop muscle memory, meaning if you have a safety, every time you reach for that gun, you thumb goes to that safety.

If the safety goes down, (1911) your thumb rest on top of the safety, if your safety goes up (Beretta 92fs) your thumb goes to the bottom of the safety.....WITH OUT THINKING.

I see this constantly in the self defense classes I teach. Not knowing and being use to the gun, there is a delay in finding the safety.

I shoot a lot, a heck of a lot, and I still find my self screwing up. For example at least twice a month I shoot some sort of action pistol match. The club I shoot at charges $5 for the first gun and $3 for the second gun in their matches. I pay to shoot two guns.

These are run dodge, and jump type matches and you don't get a lot of time to think. My first gun is normally always my revolver, the second gun is one or the other of my semi's. I'm quite familiar with my 1911s and Beretta but I'm constantly forgetting which safety is which. After shooting my 1911s a while and switch to the Beretta I have a delay while I realize the safety goes up and not down. And visa versa switching from my Beretta to the Colt.

I don't what this in a carry gun, I loose seconds in matches, doesn't really hurt anything. I don't want to loose seconds if I need my carry gun.

I don't change guns, I don't change holsters, and I don't change method of carry...............therefore I qualify with the gun I carry and the way I carry.

But that's just me......................we maybe not, I see it all the time watching other shooters switch guns/method of carry.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 3, 2013, 06:07 PM   #28
Brit

My Carry/Match, IDPA/Duty G licensed Security Officer = Glock 19 Gen4, TruGlow fiber optic sights. Spare Glock17 magazine.

Never change always the same.
Old May 4, 2013, 03:52 AM   #29
ClydeFrog

LEOSA policy, weapons, state mandates/SOPs...

I think I now understand AB's point about the CT State Troopers(sworn/retired) re; LEOSA policy.
As for the recent posts, I feel you must carry what sidearm or weapon meets the given requirements. If a Glock 34 or 35 with a white light works, then have at it. If you need a 5 shot LCR or a M&P Shield 9mm, so be it.
The point is to train & be fully ready to use the selected firearm in a critical incident.
Whether you own or use 1 handgun or 100, skill training & marksmanship are what matters most.

FWIW; my state is fairly open re; qualifications & weapon requirements. That takes a lot of stress out of it, .
CF
Old May 6, 2013, 10:00 AM   #30
armoredman

Happy to live in a state that doesn't care what credentials you have; if you're not a prohibited possessor, carry whatever you want however you want, even NFA stuff lawfully owned can be legally carried openly or concealed without any permit required.
LEOSA exempts my "kind" from it's coverage - we are also not "worthy" of protection in any other state. Darn good thing I don't travel.
Old May 6, 2013, 02:58 PM   #31
ClydeFrog

New changes for retired US military law enforcement(OSI, NCIS, MPs, MAAs)...

On another forum I sometimes review, the member said the legal beagles at the DoD & some JAG officers(Judge Advocate General's office) have not worked out all the legal issues yet for military retirees to use the new version of LEOSA.
IMO(and that's my views, not DoD policy or a POTUS executive order) a MP or retired USAF SF(security forces) can use a M11(P229R) or a M9(92FS/M9A1) as the authorized sidearm. The question of where or how retirees can qualify or the status of reserve/national guard-air national guard is still under review also.

ClydeFrog