The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 22, 2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Hardy

CVA c/b revolvers new?

I visited a backwoods town hunting/fishing supply store that you would love. It is called Totem Pole. They did not specialize in BP but they had a glass display of NEW? unfired CVA brass revolvers. Unfortunately, it was over a year ago and now realizing that maybe CVA C/B revolvers are scarce. Just brainstorming and have not researched them. Just now came to my CRS crazy mind. I think one was a 36 brass confederate/ a 44 and a derringer etc. Hey! Do CVA still offer these and wonder if the store has had them for 30+/- years. I think they were priced 260+/-. I can go back to see if they still have them--if practicable. I haven't seen cva revolvers on catelogue they offer us.

WBH
Old December 22, 2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Andy Griffith

They are still there because they are still too overpriced.

CVA no longer imports any revolvers.
Old December 22, 2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Hardy

Andy,

Thank you--if they don't import them anymore---forget price-I'll figure that one out. I like things that are still new that are out of production. Doc, are you there? Need economic investment advise here.

I try to sell and offer guns that are not easily accessible. Might be good for store?
WBH
Old December 22, 2011, 10:47 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Hardy - let me just say that a year ago, I bought a "new" in the box CVA 1861 steel frame Colt Navy - made by ASM and a beautiful pistol - for $160. At the same time, I could have bought a '51 Navy for the same price - new in box made in the 80s - steel frame and a '49 Colt Pocket Wells Fargo - same era new in the box for $180. All were pristine and I believe all were made by ASM and marked CVA. The guy I bought them from had urchased them new as an investment. Had I wanted all three, I'm sure that I could have gotten him down and walked away with all three for around '425 - $450. The only one I wanted was the '61 Navy - for some reason he had that one marked at $200 and it didn't take much to get him down to $160.

The prices you're talking about, especially if brass framed, are way more than they are worth - regardless of them being "vintage" and NIB.

This economy has hit everything hard and guns are not immune to it. Yea, you can look on Gun Broker and see guns listed at high prices - but are they selling. Over the last two years I have liquidated my long gun collection that I've had for 50 years. I consigned them to a reputable dealer and he has been selling them on GB for me. As an example, I had a number of Civil War muskets - some quite rare. On the average, they have brought about 60% of the value they once had ten years ago.

As has been stated, the guns you are talking about are still there because of the price on them. Anhyone can ask a high price and a lot of people figure since they are asking that, they are worth it. If that is the case, I have a new Yugo that is worth 30K. If you are looking for "investments" - I would think that a person would be better off keeping their eyes open and when they run across something like a Colt Python in great shape or a vintage S & W that will appreciate in value as time goes by.

One might look at Cabellas for example and see a C & B revolver that is selling for say $50 more than it did last year and surmise from that, that the repros are "appreciating" in value. What IS appreciating is the overhead of the store, liability insurance, etc. that is driving the cost up.

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to collect reproduction pistols. I can only express what my thoughts are. If you were to put one of those vintage NIB CVAs on the table at say $200 and lay a Colt 38spl OP or a S & W M & P along side of it at the same price - I'll be reaching for the Colt or the S & W as an investment as I know that they will appreciate far more than the CVA.

As anyone knows, the rules of investing to make money is "buy low / sell high". If you could go in and buy the "lot" at a price of say $75 to $100 each for a quantity, that would be one thing. Those prices would allow yo to turn around and sell them below what someone like Cabellas is getting for a Pietta brass frame and you could make a little money on it. But if they want what you are saying they have on them, I doubt that you will be able to deal.

Just my thoughts.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 23, 2011, 02:47 AM   #5
Hawg

I turned one down at the last gun show I went to, NIB for 100.
Old December 23, 2011, 06:15 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

I don't want to put words in his mouth but...

...I got into a conversation with Bprevolver a coupla months ago and he suggests a slight upswing in some of the very rare replicas. (I appologize, Dr. D. if I have missinterpreted that conversation.)

I think we have already seen a little of that. Witness Lyman, partially due to quality as well as rarity, and Hawes at about ten to twenty dollars higher due almost exclusively to rarity.

I don't think you can use that logic to support 200 plus for virtually every NIB brass revolver or 250 plus for every NIB steel revolver as we have seen from the hopeful (and perhaps unwilling to accept reality) sellers on Gunbroker.

As long as Cabelas is selling a brass 1851 pattern for 129.00, that is the market value.

BUT

For Hardy,

I would love to see that shop simply for the nostalgia. I bet it is a great little town.
Old December 23, 2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Hawg

I've got a couple of if not rarities then oddballs. One bprevolver wasn't aware of. They're shooters. Not collectors.
Old December 23, 2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Agree, Hawg

I have a few revolvers which I don't shoot because they are past their prime. C.O.M. Sheriffs model with a loose arbor is one.

I also have a few which I consider to be too nice to shoot. Three Colts and a Belgian are among those.

Everything else, I shoot including two Siles revolvers, one Hawes, and one Norfolk Arms.

BTW,

Hope you are feeling well.
Old December 23, 2011, 11:38 AM   #9
Hawg

Yeah, feeling pretty good Doc, other than a twinge here and there and feeling a little achy at times. I'm not complaining cuz it sure as heck beats the alternative.
Old December 23, 2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Hardy

Thanks guys--I certainly was not going to offer those prices but it seems that they have been there a long time and will visit after Christmas and look again in that glass CVA display and maybe he'll just give them to me Or buy them dirt cheap if I can. If so I'll produce the photos on this line and see what happens. I really forgot how many were in it but the glass stand up box containing them was a CVA display for at least 3 or 4. And again, one was a derringer.

WBH