The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2009, 06:53 PM   #1
skshepherd

newbie, picked up used dies do I have all the parts?

Hello,
I have been wanting to start reloading for some time now. I am not going to start right away but I did get a Lyman spar T press and 5 sets of dies at an estate sale for $15.00 so I jumped on it.

I will be interested in loading for 30 06 and have 3 dies. Two are Pacific Durachrome and one is an rcbs. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little info on these and let me know if I have all the pieces. I suspect I am missing something from one of the Pacific dies.

The first one says Pacific Durachrome 30-06 FL sizer. There is nothing threaded into the top part of this one. Is there something missing?

The next one is Pacific Durachrome 30-06 seater

The last one has on the top rcbs T. EXP 30 to 35 on it.

I would appreciate any help describing these to me. I think I understand the sizer and the seater although I think something might be missing on the sizer, but the rcbs I guess expands the case from 30 to 35 but Im unfamiliar with this and why I would do that.

Just trying to figure out what I have,
Thanks

rcbs left, durachrome sizer middle, durachrom seat right

top of sizer

Old July 24, 2009, 07:06 PM   #2
LHB1

This is one of the problems with buying used reloading equipment. Sounds like your sizing die is missing the decapping rod/pin. If you can't find one that fits, you may have to buy a new sizing die. I'm not familiar with the RCBS 30-35 die but it may expand the .30-06 case neck to .35 caliber, thus making the .35 Whelen cartridge.

Did you get the two priming arm mechanisms (small primers and large primers) for the Lyman press? If not, you may have to use an off press priming setup, either hand primer tool or RCBS bench primer tool.
Old July 24, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
skshepherd

Yeah that is the problem, plus its worse if your new to reloading your not sure what your getting. I figured I would only be out a little if I was wrong. The press does need the primer arm which I believe Lyman sells for $15.

Ok the decapper is what is missing then, I though so. I read somewhere that Hornady took over pacific so maybe they might have the decapper.

So it looks like I wont be needing the rcbs die to resize it to a 35 whelen. Maybe I can ebay that to help cover the cost of the press primer arm and the decapper rod?
Thanks a ton!
Old July 24, 2009, 09:13 PM   #4
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day and welcome. Read the sticky at the top of this forum and get a reloading manual. Lots of things will make sence after you have read them. You might prefer to get a universal decapper and a hand priming tool.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Sport45

If it was me, I'd buy a Lee Autoprime or the RCBS hand primer instead of the primer arm for the Spar-T. You'll have a better feel for seating the primers and you won't have to be at your reloading bench.

The Spar-T is a good press, but I find the leverage to be marginal for sizing rifle brass. My arthritis could have a lot to do with that. I leave .357mag dies and a universal decapper set up on mine.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:18 PM   #6
wncchester

IF you ever expect to get far into reloading, consider getting a (Lee) universal decapping die and a Lyman "M" die for .30 cal expanding.

The decapper will allow you to deprime before cleaning, etc, in prep for sizing.

The seperate expander will leave your case necks a bit straighter, on average, than any conventional decap/expander system.

A seperate hand priming tool is an excellant choice, beats doing it on the press by a mile, Lee's is good.

You will have no need for the .30 to .35 expander unless you have a Whelen.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:26 PM   #7
oneounceload

IF you're going to use those dies, I would clean the heck out of them before running brass in there. It looked like there was rust on them. New dies aren't THAT expensive
Old July 24, 2009, 11:45 PM   #8
skshepherd

Thanks for the great tips guys! Yeah the dies are a little dirty/rusty. If I cant get a decapping rod for the one die then I guess I should move on to another set, or just get a universal decapping die and use the seat that I have? I think the hand primer sounds like a good idea.
Old July 25, 2009, 02:22 PM   #9
LHB1

Quote: "Yeah the dies are a little dirty/rusty. "

Then I would scrap them and buy a new set of RCBS dies. Don't mess with old junk.
Old July 26, 2009, 10:04 PM   #10
skshepherd

Ok, so if I went with new dies what do you guys recommend? Should I get a universall decapping die and a lyman m expanding die and then what else, a die to seat the bullet? Or do you recommend a particular set? How do I tell if these dies really need replacing or just a good cleaning. Thanks for your help and patience with these probably elementary questions.
Old July 27, 2009, 05:41 PM   #11
LHB1

Buy a new SET of RCBS dies in the appropriate caliber. Unless you have special needs or advanced knowledge, I don't recommend buying individual dies. Rifle dies typically come in two die sets: sizer/decapper, and seater die. Straight walled pistol calibers dies typically come in three die sets: sizer/decapper, expander, and seater. For straight walled pistol calibers, buy ONLY die sets which include a CARBIDE sizer die. They require no messy case lube for resizing cases.