The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 16, 2010, 10:08 PM   #26
BGutzman

Its not necessary fo the government to have this power under law. It is in the interest of the agencies and business within the US to disconnect portions of the internet in the event of some major cyber attack, they do not need a law passed in order to do so.

I could see the government setting up some plan with the agencies and business involved, but the legal authority should remain with the people who own the backbone of the internet.

Its like your cars on fire but you have to wait for someone else to come to allow you to squirt water out of your garden hose.
Old June 16, 2010, 10:17 PM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Thanks for the snarkyness, Tom, you're a real "gentleman". Maybe it's the p0rnz?
Nope. If I thought this had a chance at passing, I'd be worried. The problem is that this was a slow news week for Alex Jones, so he dredged this up to generate attention. A great many of people are going to waste a great deal of energy getting worked up over something that's highly unlikely to gain any traction.

Frankly, there's some stuff in there that gives me real pause. There are some serious 4th Amendment issues, such as this gem in Section 11:
Quote:
(4) How to guarantee the privacy of an individual’s identity, information, or lawful transactions when stored in distributed systems or transmitted over networks.

(…)

(6) How to determine the origin of a message transmitted over the Internet.
However, in the absence of any real support, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.
Old June 16, 2010, 11:53 PM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

This is pure politics, which isn't a part of TFL anymore.

It's also getting far snarkier than it should.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread