The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 16, 2010, 09:23 PM   #1
X_shooter

Maxpedition packs-Anyone use them for carry?

I saw an ad in a magazine for a Maxpedition Versapack that looks like it might work for a secondary carry or maybe primary when it is too hot to conceal under light clothes. It is a shoulder pack that can spin around to your front side when you need to get into it. It has a universal holster that hook&loops into the pocket. Does anyone have one or any experience with them?
Old May 17, 2010, 01:21 AM   #2
m.p.driver

Bought one over a year ago and love it.The holster is nothing more than a nylon slide type that goes in the back compartment,My glock 21 fills it up by it self so i skip the holster.Those who run them down usually have never bought one or don't know what they are.Replaced the paracord that is on the concealment zipper with a more substantial (fob,for lack of a better word)and i think its just as fast to get into play as drawing a pistol from under your shirt or jacket.Plus there's plenty of room for cell phone ,knife,water bottle,and any other gee galls that your carry in a given day.You can sling it over your back.to your side,or in front with your belt through the keepers on the back of it.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:42 PM   #3
X_shooter

Good information. Thanks! Did you consider any other packs in the line or did this one seem the best?
Old May 17, 2010, 07:49 PM   #4
rantingredneck

I have the Maxpedition Fatboy Jumbo and use it on occasion for a man bag and secondary carry. 3" GP100 fits perfectly in the little nylon loop holster (sold separately). Makes for a good place to carry all the trappings of parenthood and when you have small kids no one looks at it twice.

I also have a Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger, but it's substantially larger. I use it for a hunting pack and carry a backup handgun (during gun season) in it.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old May 17, 2010, 07:58 PM   #5
rjrivero

I've been itching to get one of these, but I have no idea what size I would need.

I think I may order one of each size and just return the one(s) I decide I don't need.

That is, unless someone could steer me into the direction of the "one" that can conceal a Glock 35.........
Old June 5, 2010, 06:56 AM   #6
rayban

Hey JR or X Shooter.....let me know if this one will do ya.
The one on the right is a Maxpedition, on the left is an off brand I got on the bay for about $25, it's a bit larger as you can see. It may not be quite as hefty as the Max, but still good and solid.
If NW Ohio means Toledo-ish, (I'm just up the road into Michigan) maybe we can get together on the one. I don't need them both.

They work good for a quick range session, load up a few mags, eyes and ear gear, your gun, and all fits well in these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maxpedition bag.jpg (51.3 KB, 57 views)
Old June 5, 2010, 07:04 AM   #7
RUT

I too have a Maxpedition Fatboy Jumbo and have used it on occassion while hiking locally. It makes for a nice way to stow a gun and not upset fellow hikers you may encounter along the trails.
Old June 5, 2010, 07:19 AM   #8
m.p.driver

The jumbo is about the perfect size for day to day,looked at the others and were a tad too small or almost back pack size.Got mine on Ebay for about 30% of what i would have had to pay in a store.Have seen other nylon holsters in Brigade quartermaster,and sportsman guide designed for their bags,and for a interior set up for gun safes.They seem to be constructed a little better than just the simple slide that is made for this bag.If it comes down to it i'll just take some nylon,padding,and some Velcro and make a simple one myself.
Old June 5, 2010, 01:27 PM   #9
dairycreek

I've been using the Jumbo for about 5 years since I had my right hip replaced. Could not carry on that hip with a holster hence the Jumbo. Fantastic carry device. While it can't replace on the body carry it does fill an important carry niche. Maxpedition makes incredibly well crafted stuff and I recommend it without reservation.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old June 5, 2010, 01:39 PM   #10
amd6547

They are nice packs, but when I see one, I automatically think "gun".
Old June 5, 2010, 02:15 PM   #11
Wanpaku1

I like em.

I have a Fatboy Jumbo that I use for hikes (perfect size for a water bottle, a first aid kit and lunch) and for a diaperbag when I have the kids. Hang a teething toy off it and stick a baby bottle in the bottle holder and most people think "Insecure man who doesn't want to carry a real diaper bag" and not "gun." Few people who don't carry even know what they are.

I carry a XD 40sc with extended mag plus a spare mag in mine with no problems.
Old June 5, 2010, 04:17 PM   #12
vhram

Ive got the versapak and the jumbo. Got the smaller one first and it was too small . My Walther p99 fits in the holster pocket with room to spare. Used them for a trip to Alaska was great for camera film,camcorder , water bottle etc Very well made . Great for a grab and go bag while hunting . Maxpedition stuff isnt cheap but the quality is top notch IMO.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:17 AM   #13
TheSquid

Maxpedition-Good, not perfect.

I have recently become mildly obsessed with this brand of gear (according to my girfriend anyway) and have spent a lot of time and money researching, ordering, and putting these things together. The bag is just the beginning! Then come the pouches and accessories.
I have almost $200 in my small EDC bag and thats just it, its small! I use the Lunada as my EDC bag and it just fits the bill. Dont get me wrong, the quality is second to none but the bags tend to run small. Hence the need for all the external pouches. I have also noticed that their gearslinger series tends to "ride" a little funny. They shift around a lot. There is a velcro tab that you can attach to your belt, but that makes it immpossible to access anything in a hurry. This is the primary reason I dont use it for carry. I use it more to cover a larger pistol on my person. It is however, a good place for flashlight, multi tool, ammo, first aid, etc.
I suggest going to youtube before you make any purchases. There are a ton of online reviews of individual equipment and it gives you a better idea of size.
Old June 10, 2010, 12:33 AM   #14
matrxx

amd6547,what you said is so true, in that case you lose your surprise .
Old June 10, 2010, 06:11 AM   #15
Steve_in_SEMich

I have the Colossus - fits full-size P220 in the back panel. This shoulder pack is unbelievably well made. I managed to fill it with more weight than I could comfortably carry (on one shoulder). I use the simple Max holster - attaches to the velcro panel in the pack. Holds 3 mags in the front compartment.

A double stack semi-auto may be too wide, others may not have an issue. I also switch out to a Ruger LCR with 3 loaders.

I have more than a couple of their packs - my Falcon II backpack carrys LOTS of stuff and is easy to hike with.

I wish there was a local store that carried the Max line so I could touch and feel.

Check out www.edcforums.com for lots of info about Max & other brands.
Old June 10, 2010, 03:42 PM   #16
Don P

Yep I use one. Zippered compartment will hold a Commander size 1911, M&P 40 S&W, Beretta PX4 9mm, and my Glock 36. Plus all the other stuff it holds.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 10, 2010, 04:47 PM   #17
RUT

>>They are nice packs, but when I see one, I automatically think "gun".<<

Only someone who's into guns would think that, and I say "so what"? To the average non-gunner, that would be the last thing on their mind.
Old June 10, 2010, 08:19 PM   #18
M14fan

Fatboy Jumbo. Love it!