The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 27, 2006, 12:36 PM   #1
colletron

Sako value?

Hi, I have a Sako L579 Forester carbine with Mannlicher stock, .308 calibre, near new condition, made between 1982 and 1984. I want to sell it. Could you gtell me a ballpark fair price? Thanks, Ron
Old December 28, 2006, 09:43 PM   #2
UniversalFrost

best thing would be to check out gunsamerica.com , gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com etc... and see what the going rate is for a comparable model sako. Overall they are great guns that maintian their value.

Post some pics here as well. I am interested once you get a price range (or I could just take it off your hands for say 100 bucks? ).

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 2, 2007, 03:06 PM   #3
Watermain

Certainly, on this side of the Atlantic, nothing holds its value as well as a Sako. I have just found this to my (high) cost, when trying to buy a used one. I settled for a two-year-old Sako Hunter, which even in 6.5 x 55 (which is not the most popular calibre here) was still mightily expensive to buy, even with the dealer under pressure from me to 'sharpen his pencil' to secure the deal. Most roe deer here are taken with a .243 Win, and most fallow, reds, and sika are taken with a .308 Win. Hardened red enthusiasts sometime opt for .270 calibre. There are alternatives, and an awful lot of rifles for sale in calibres other than the obove, but anything else sits on the dealers rack for longer. Still, that Sako was hard to buy cheaply.