The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 22, 2012, 07:26 AM   #1
kx592

Pistol grip?

Been thinking about getting a JIC unit from mossberg. It has the tube for storage, and the 18.5" pistol grip 500. Are these manageable to shoot 00 through? It makes sense to have one in the house because its easy to hide and maneuver in a house. I am strictly looking for opinions from people who have or use pistol grips as far as control ability and practicality. I know the safty and bolt release are slightly awkward, but whats the control of the gun like?
Old February 22, 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I neither have nor use Pistol Grip Only shotguns.

However, at one point in my checkered past, The State Of MD not only paid me to shoot them but made me teach others to do so, like 300 one year.

Since I had to do a demo for each group of rookies and fire to qualify myself, I shot hundreds of rounds from the hip that year. I observed hundreds of others do the same, with skill levels from none to prettydarngood.

Nobody shot as well without a stock. Nobody. People who aced the qualifier with a stocked shotgun had loads of trouble with the folded version.

It's not just me. No major instructor will teach a PGO seminar, none turn up at 3 gun matches and folks who actually go into harm's way have them only for breaching.

It's true that will time and effort a small amount of effectiveness can be reached using a PGO. However, the same amount of time and effort invested in a stocked shotgun will reap major amounts of expertise and effectiveness.

BTW, that Mossberg with a real stock will make a fine HD shotgun. Just add wear marks.

My closing argument, is this. Here and elsewhere for more than a decade I have challenged the PGO fans.

The challenge.....

We'll shoot the course of fire of THEIR choice.

We'll use the ammo of their choice, from birdshot to slugs.

We'll shoot at the distance they choose, from a foot to a football field.

I'll use a fairly stock 870. They can use ANY shotgun, ANY accessories and sights. Belt feed, lazers, no problem.

Score wins, time decides ties, though there will not be any. Heck it won't even be close.

Results posted rat cheer,and over on THR.

In over a decade, no PGO fan has taken up the gauntlet.

None. Talk's cheap......
Old February 22, 2012, 03:31 PM   #3
TxGun

I've never had any problem at all handling a PGO shotgun at self-defense ranges (out to 10-15 yards). I find them easy enough to consistently hit a 12" circle at those ranges using any buckshot load. (Now, of course, I've had the advantage of being able to practice any day I choose for as long as I choose).

That said, a shotgun with a buttstock is much easier to hit with and infinitely more versatile.

Last edited by TxGun; February 22, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old February 22, 2012, 04:03 PM   #4
kx592

Thanks for the input guys, now I present a new question. Is it worth getting for the shortness and maneuverability of it for HD situations? I have plenty of stocked 12ga but length of which when moving room to room becomes an issue.
Old February 22, 2012, 06:15 PM   #5
droptrd

I ordered a pistol grip for my 500. I put it on for a wekk or 2 then took it right off and put the shoulder stock back on. the grip gets in the way of the action release lever. and the safety is now too far out of the way. The 18.5 is a great idea for the home but concider penetration when you are thinking about OO
Old February 22, 2012, 06:51 PM   #6
dogtown tom

Quote:
kx592 Been thinking about getting a JIC unit from mossberg. It has the tube for storage, and the 18.5" pistol grip 500....
I've transferred a dozen or so Mossberg JIC's in the last three years. In every case the customer was a newbie to guns/home defense/bugouts/etc. They read the gun mags and survivalist forums, play video games and watch Arnold Schwarzenegger movies and come to believe they are the perfect gun for home defense, etc.

Kudos to the marketing dept at Mossberg for coming up with a hot seller, but shame on them for marketing a PGO shotgun as something to rely on when you need a firearm.

As pointed out by Dave McC, PGO's have one purpose, breaching doors. Unless you plan on breaching doors in your own home just get a real shotgun.

Go to WalMart, buy any 12ga pump shotgun, a few boxes of shells and then head to Home Depot for PVC pipe to make your own waterproof tube. All the crap that Mossberg jams in their JIC unit can be done by you......and you won't be stuck with a mall ninja gun with limited usefulness.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 22, 2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No.

As long as the stock is less in length than our forearms, there's no advantage to the PGO.

Storage, yes, obviously.

And with Mossbergs, a PGO means one has to break the firing grip to hit the safety or slide lock. Bad idea.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:37 PM   #8
oneounceload

Bought a 500 PGO WAY back when, before the Internet, and after a few shots, the PGO came off, and a regular stock went on

Do yourself a favor and get a regular stock
Old February 23, 2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Isk

In answer to the original question, yes, they are manageable with 00 buck. I'm not a big guy but I can even control the thing while aiming down the bead and firing 00 buck. I have even managed to shoot a few clays with the pistol grip attached. So it's not that it can't be done...there just isn't any advantage to doing so. I certainly wouldn't rely on one for home defense, but I did find it convenient to carry with just the pistol grip while backpacking in cougar country. Also, sometimes it's fun just to fire off a magazine from the hip.
Old February 23, 2012, 02:59 PM   #10
zippy13

If you want a pistol grip, try a pistol -- they move very easily through a building environment.