The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 19, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1
ZVP

Hair triggers, who needs em?

Sure Paladan had 1.5 oz and some folks brag about their Hair triggers but really, is it necessary to have less than 3 to 4lbs for a field revolvers pull? No suprises, no accidental discharges, and most of all it's safe for everyone to shoot!
I don't want a revolver that people are scared to handle because (it might go off!) Cap and Ball revolvers are by nature of their system,known to have slow lock times and wvwn with a meduium weight pull such as I promote, are no slower than a not safe pull measured in ounces!
Getting too happy with a set of stones or files on a sear is definatelly NOT the way to go. Remember you can't put it back easilly when you take too much off
With a new revolver, lube the trigger assembly with a good grade of light oil and let it wear-in for a few shots. Let it wear and develop "Witness Marks" for later inspection and work by a competent gunsmith.The marks will guide the professional as where to remove material should work be necessary.
I have followed this procedure with all 7 of my B/P revolvers and no work has been necessary on any of them. In fact my two Piettia Remingtons have excellent pulls they are crisp and break really clean! I don't need or want sub-one pound letoffs.
Safety goes hand in hand with fun, and keeping your trigger pull safe is a VERY important part of a good shooting experience.
ZVP
Old January 19, 2012, 06:47 AM   #2
mykeal

???

What brought this on? You been reading some of those Harlequin books again?
Old January 19, 2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Sarge

Nothing wrong with that, ZVP. SA revolvers that follow the Colt or Remington pattern typically do have pulls which seem light by today's standards. Let 'em wear in before you tinker with 'em.
Old January 19, 2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Z....Yeah me too.

I have a C.O.M. sheriff's model that has an uncomfortably light pull. I don't shoot it any more because this is the revolver that chain fired for me a coupla years ago.

I started to wonder if the pistol was just unlucky so I checked the serial number and.....you guessed it....... It is 666.
Old January 19, 2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Slamfire

In cold weather I had touched off the 2 pound trigger on my S&W M25-7. The trigger was worn in to a very light pull and there have been times when I did not feel it as I reached for it.

For those shooting International free pistol, an ultra light trigger depends on the individual, but it does make a difference on target.

I am not trying to win Gold, so I would be more concerned about safety.