The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 6, 2011, 08:58 PM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

Where To Mount A Bipod On A AR-15....

I am borrowing a Harris Bipod from a good neighbor to try on my AR-15 before I decide to buy one myself. I have a slight muscle tremor health problem and would like to see if it improves my target shooting out past 100 yards. I have a full picatinny quad rail on this gun and could mount this bipod up or down the full lenght from the magazine forward. I have seen pictures of bipods mounted from both extreme ends of the rail and need some advice. Where on the rail is a good place to start? My brain tells me mounting the bipod closer to the end of the barrel is the place to go but I've seen pictures way further back towards the magazine. Any suggestions? Thanks...
Old November 6, 2011, 09:17 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Stability
For pure stability, as close to the end of the barrel as possible is best. However, mounting a bipod to the barrel is generally a bad idea from an accuracy standpoint. So, practically speaking, as close to the front of the handguard as possible would be the best option for maximum stability.

Multiple Targets
If you want to be able to traverse the gun while you're down in the shooting position (to engage multiple targets) then mounting the bipod way out towards the end of the handguard will make traversing the gun more awkward.

Accuracy Concerns
If the handguard isn't free-floating (a free-floating handguard doesn't touch the barrel--is connected only to the receiver) then the gun may "prefer" a particular mounting location for the bipod. The only way to find the best spot for accuracy would be to experiment with the load you plan to use.

If the handguard is free-floating then it should make little difference where a bipod is mounted as far as accuracy is concerned.
Old November 7, 2011, 11:12 PM   #3
jdillon

I have both Harris and RCBS bipods for my AR's. The Harris is for mounting to the swivel stud and the RCBS for rail mount. Both work well. Good info in previous post re free floating barrels. POI will be affected in non-floated barrels depending on where bipod is attached.

You may want to consider a mono pod or a shooting bag to add stability to the butt. This will provide a very stable platform for long range shooting.
Old November 8, 2011, 12:49 PM   #4
plumbercrack

Ever thought about a grip/ bipod combo?

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/62489

It's a lot less bulky and clumsy