Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 23, 2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Colvin

Which scope mount/rings?

New to scopes. I'm purchasing a Remington 700 CDL from Cheaper Than Dirt:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2REM27017-1.html

And a Leupold VX-3

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-...fle-scope.html

What kind of scope mount or rings do I need? Thanks.
Old October 23, 2011, 05:59 PM   #2
DnPRK

Scope mount
Rings

This is the setup I use on several rifles. It allows me to remove and replace the scope without change of zero.
Old October 23, 2011, 06:52 PM   #3
SSA

For a classic hunting rifle, with one scope that is going to stay in place, I'd go with dual dovetail bases and rings. Either Leupold or Burris. Steel, solid, good looking.
Medium height.

If you're going to be swapping scopes around, the setup DnPRK suggested would be hard to beat, although I prefer a 2-piece base, such as the Burris XT.
Old October 23, 2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Fargazer

The Burris Signature rings are also quite nice; they do not have the quick release features of the Leopold, but they do allow you to change the point of aim with inserts. That allows you to preserve the scope's adjustments for fine tuning, rather than using them up just getting into the neighborhood of your Point of Impact.

Both Burris and Leopold are good; which you should pick just depends on what features you need.
Old October 23, 2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Colvin

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/60329-34.html

What about integral mounts?

Conversely, I'm looking at the dual dovetail.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...vetail-mounts/

Midway says, for a 40mm objective, that I must have at least .270" height. Leupold offers the "super low" rings at .55", should I just go with those or the mediums at .77"?

Last edited by Colvin; October 23, 2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:25 PM   #6
SSA

Integral mounts will work. Check Talley Lightweights and DNZ. I've never used them, but people who like them, swear by them. Prefer the looks of the DD's, myself.

Midway's .27 = Leupold's .77. Leupold is figuring to the center of the scope.
Lows will probably work, but might not leave much room for flip-ups or a scopecoat.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:28 PM   #7
DeerSlayer86

Can't go wrong with leupolds..I really like warne as well. Don't know if one is better than the other I just prefer the cosmetics/low profile of the Warne. The Leupold DD is pretty sleek though. Check em out
Old October 24, 2011, 08:08 AM   #8
sc outdoorsman

I put some DNZ one piece on my Savage 7mm Rem Mag. I like them a lot. They are well made and easy to install. I put a 3x9x40 Nikon Prostaff in the low mounts, the magnification dial was scrubbing the rear base. I hit it a few times with a file and it worked perfectly. I didn't want to use the medium mounts over a few thousandths clearance. They have been on the rifle a year now and I have made no adjustments to the scope. This my main hunting rig so it's not babied.
Old October 24, 2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Fusion

Burris Signature Zee rings would be my choice with a quality base of your choice. They eliminate the need for lapping, they are strong and durable, and best of all they don't leave ring marks.

That being said, I've also used the Leupold rings, and there is no comparison, the Burris ones win hands down, but if the Burris ones didn't exist I'd probably be recommending the Leupolds as they are in a distant second place for me.
Old October 24, 2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Colvin

Narrowed it down to either Leupold dual dovetails or quick release. Are the dovetails more secure? Are there any downsides to the quick releases?
Old October 25, 2011, 02:04 PM   #11
DeerSlayer86

The quick releaser nice but not really needed. Pros: you can take your scope off quickly. Cons: you can take your scope off quickly. What's the point? Even if you plan on using the scope on multiple guns, you have to resight it in right? As for the DD...I like them for their sleek profile and that they don't have windage screws. In theory the windage screws could lose mover time and you would have to rezero. It's never happened to me but it could. The dual dovetail has my vote
Old November 2, 2011, 04:23 PM   #12
plumbercrack

Too bad

I looked at the scope you bought and I could have saved you some money