The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 9, 2005, 12:48 PM   #1
signal4l

Rossi M92 Cleaning Question

I am contemplating the purchase of a Rossi/EMF M92. My gunsmithing skills are somewhat limited.

My internet research suggests that it is a bit of a chore to drive out the pins in the receiver and remove/reinstall the bolt.

Do I need to do this to give the weapon a good cleaning? What is necessary for routine maintainence for a weapon of this type?

Thanks
Old July 9, 2005, 01:53 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

not necessary

The pins have a serrated end on one side of the pins. They are driven into the side plate to make sure they hold. It isn't necessary to drive them out to clean the gun. Just use a good cleaner that eveaporates and you will be fine.
Old July 9, 2005, 02:22 PM   #3
Desert Dog

The 92 action isn't bad to disassemble, at least compared to the 94. There are a couple of pictured procedures online to assist you. The hardest part is getting the lever reconnected to the bolt, and if you have patience it isn't bad...

You should only have to disassemble the action only every once in a great while. Like cntryboy1289 said, just use a good evaproating cleaner like Gun Scrubber and you should be fine...

Good luck,

Mike

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old July 9, 2005, 08:56 PM   #4
signal4l

Thanks, gentlemen. I am going to order an EMF carbine and have the action tuned and the barrel cut from 20 inches to 16 inches. Should be fun....
Old July 13, 2005, 06:15 AM   #5
steveb3006

rossi fieldstripping/modifing link

im posting this link for you,it has good info about modifiying the ROSSI 92,and show how to fieldstrip it.I was leary my first time taking the bolt out,go to this link,get your gun,you'll be proud of yourself..

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/rossi.htm
Old July 13, 2005, 06:20 AM   #6
steveb3006

slicking up the ROSSI 92

Oh by the way my gunsmithing skills are limited as well,but the link above,if you follow the instructions to the T,you will come out with a fast,slick handling carbine.I just know my limitations,and I was nervous about doing it myself,but after I was finished I couldnt believe the results..
Old July 13, 2005, 10:08 AM   #7
signal4l

SteveB thanks for the link. I had a change of pllans. I found an older Marlin 1894C without the crossbolt safety and went that route instead.