The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 21, 2011, 01:52 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Browning Citori 525 20 gauge...

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...ay-20ga-88810/

Once again NOT MINE!!! just passin the info ono others who might need one...

Brent
Old May 21, 2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Slugo

Very nice gun...
Old May 21, 2011, 01:39 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I don't know if this is hi/lo/average but I only post a few of the thousands of ads I see... One day it will be a "FIRE SALE" sort of deal...

Brent
Old May 23, 2011, 11:55 AM   #4
BigJimP

I'm not interested in the gun ( I had a 525, bought new in 1998, and didn't like it / way too much drop at the comb to fit me personally ). But just to tell you what I know about the ( 325, 425, 525, 625 series of the Browning Citori ) ...

The 525 series Citori was made from 1998 - 2008 or so by Browning. The new version, since 2008, is the 625 series and it is still in production. The 525 is no longer in production / but I do know there are still some available new in the box around the country ( ads in shotgun sports, etc most every month).

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...rting-firearms

List price on the 625 sporting is $ 3,560 --- but its retailing new in my area for around $ 3,200.

The 626 sporting is available in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and a .410 ....but in the 20ga version its a 7lb gun ...so its a little light (in my opinion ). Personally, I like my O/U's even in 20ga, 28ga and .410 with 30" barrels and up around 8lbs or so.

At around $ 2,000 its probably a decent buy ( if the gun fits you ) ...they have a lot of drop at comb and at heel ... The owner says he has a 12ga and the 20ga version / so he may have decided he didn't like the lighter gross weight on it ...or just isn't shooting it ( maybe he bought it for his wife or something ...) who knows ....100 shells is a half day at any gun club for most of us ...so there has to be some reason he didn't shoot it ...
Old May 23, 2011, 02:02 PM   #5
zippy13

...so there has to be some reason he didn't shoot it ...
Perhaps it beat him up.
Old May 23, 2011, 02:56 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Organized dust dove shooting isn't real big here... Also our dove season isn't real long and spots are usually "rental fields".

Perhaps he don't need the "handicap" a 20g gives the better shooters!

Folks pile into the field in old pick ups, get their limits quick so they can get drunk with their buddies!
Brent
Old May 23, 2011, 03:09 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Called gun owner for ya'll... The 20 was acquired while he lived in upper Alabama. More organized shooting up there for one.... Main reason he bought it was it was either part of a "set" and he wanted the 12g. or he bought it to add to make a set. He was actually going to buy a 28 next but moved down here.

He has no qualms of selling out of the area but will let his FFL (in law family member) ship it off so keep that in mind...

He had hopes his wife would take a liking to it.

As for the 12g, he said he don't shoot it much if at all but since he invested a bunch of money in custom fitting, he didn't think interest in the area would warrant posting it up.

Brent
Old May 23, 2011, 03:30 PM   #8
BigJimP

In my opinion only ....I think the 525 or 625 series ...fits, at the most, 10% of the guys that buy it ..../ that much drop is just way too much for most shooters ...and sadly, they get sucked in by the nice engraving, etc on these guns ...and learn about it too late ( or at least I did .... ) ....

and I refinished my 525 sporting ...and..its the only shotgun ( out of 20 or more that I've own ) that I have ever sold ....( but this gun, is not the one I had - because when I refinished it, I put the standard Browniong high gloss finish on it, before I sold it ) ...

I sold mine to a local dealer ...and he re-sold it to a customer I didn't know ....on the West Coast.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:03 AM   #9
grassflatsfisher

This is my gun....thanks for the call today hogdog. My 1st post here. I have researched a few gun issues here over the years...seems to pop up in a lot of google searches.

I will not add to the sale since Im probably not suppose to from a 1st post stand point, but for just a little history on the gun, I bought it a few years ago for a match to my 12ga. Also thought the wife might pick it up also but she got pregnant and I got busy and the gun has been in my safe ever since. I havent shot clays in several years.

As for the comb having to much drop and only fitting 10% of the avg buyer I would highly disagree and would say that is definitely a personal opinion in the fullest sense of the statement. Browning, one of largest gun makers in the world, and probably a leader in the o/u sales isn't going to make a $2500+ gun that only fits 10% of the population. They might not fit everyone but neither does beretta, parazzi, or any other maker. Guns can be tweaked and fitted also.

Glad to be a member out here. Ive gotten into long range shooting and AR/LR guns so Ill be spending my time there...
Old May 24, 2011, 01:04 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Hey GFF... Don't take it hard if this gets closed since yer here... This is a tightly run ship compared to our local fishin' forums!

And most of the guys in this scattergun section know I am one cheap redneck. One day, one will adopt me as his long lost son and will me one of them fine gentleman's guns... LOL!
'
Brent
Old May 24, 2011, 09:12 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome GFF. I disagree with the 10% thing also, I'd say the model fits more like 40-60% well enough. I'm not one though, my Beretta and SKB do a better job there, and both have been tweaked a little.

Good luck with the rifle stuff, I like that also. Shotguns lately have been more fun.....
Old May 24, 2011, 10:36 AM   #12
BigJimP

I'm a big Browning fan - and own about a dozen of their Citori O/U's ...but to say Browning doesn't make any mistakes in their stock dimensions or marketing decisions - is a little too generous...in my opinion. Like any mfg of anything - they've had their ups and downs.

Browning has had a number of models come and go pretty quickly in the Citori line ...and then there is the Cynergy line and some interesting things there as well. The evolution of the 325, to the 425, to the 525 and now to the 625 series isn't, in itself, a recognition of an issue ...and the 525 in that series was the first gun with a lot of machine engraving - and a highly touted model by a lot of the experts at the time - but if the 525 was really selling that well, there probably would not have been a 625 series.

I have no way to back up my 10% remark ...so I'll apologize for that. Its based on my own bad experience with the 525 - and trying to help a few other shooters with their 525's or 625's fit issues. I was able to make my 525 fit - by putting a leveling comb pad on it / but it was ugly. The fit issues of putting an adj comb into an angled comb gun - that Browning has done on a number of models - but especially in the 625 series - is another example of something that makes no sense to me. It moves for cast and height / but the angle stays the same - which makes no sense to me.

Browning is just trying to offer something for everybody ...and everybody should know the stock dimensions they need to fit them ...before they drop
$ 2,000 - $ 4,000 on another shotgun.

Your 525 at $2,000 is a good value -like I said before / and I hope you find a good home for it.