The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 20, 2008, 07:58 PM   #1
kristop64089

The Beretta Storm PX4 may be MY perfect polymer

I just picked one up in a heckuva' deal today. It's a 9mm and this thing is a gem!

I have always been leery of the Storm, as they just don't seem to have a strong fanbase. I have held them at the gunshop and always pondered buying one. Well, the deal today, made it a clencher.

I'l start by saying, for a fullsize gun it's Light, feels much lighter than my XD,M&P, Glock or HK. I don't know the specs, so this may be subjective.
The fact that is hammer fired, is another plus for me. I really like having a hammer, and that may be the traditionalist in me.
This is the F model, with th safetey/decocker, another big plus for me.
The sights are dovetailed, and a photoluminiscent, which the jury is still out on. (I could care less about night sights).
The 17+1 is another bonus, in a gun this light, feels as heavy as my G19.
Now the most important part to me is the trigger pull. It's simply amazing. It's the best DA pull I have felt.(it shames my 220) It's a bit "soft" but it is very smooth!. I'm not sure of the pull weight, but it feels less than 10#. The single action trigger is great as well.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, so I am anxious to see how this locking action treats me accuracy wise.

The HK's and Sigs may be the only real competition this gun has, as it is offers me much more than the Glock,XD,and M&P's. And to be honest, I think the PX4, is a bit better than My HK.

Wendsday is range day, so hopefully this thing does me right. and I have the time to really put it thru its paces.
Old July 20, 2008, 08:08 PM   #2
MyGunsJammed

congrats!!! I want the same pistol.....

The F model is better than the G model right? or at least more updated?

How much did you pay?
Old July 20, 2008, 08:24 PM   #3
kristop64089

The F model is: Saftey with Decocker, DA/SA
G model is: Decocker only DA/SA
D model is: DAO.

SO here is the deal, I had an AR that I was selling, A cool katt, offers me this LNIB PX4, $200, a Pelican case, and a box of Black Talons. ...How could I say no.
I didn't need the AR, as I have others. And now I can go pick up my Vaquero
Old July 20, 2008, 08:35 PM   #4
NCTexan

My PX4 9mm (F) was initially a good purchase... I liked the grip from the minute that I picked it up. And it's never had a single failure of any kind.

It was extremely tight and the trigger was a little gritty for the first 200 rounds. I did a thorough deep clean and heavy lube and ran a few hundred more rounds through it. I then put in a little lighter mainspring (took a couple coils off a standard spring).

Now the gun in amazingly accurate and has a light crisp trigger that really works for me.

I think that this is a much underestimate gun in 9mm... as well as 40 and 45.

BTW, a Hogue slip on Hand-all for $10 really finishes off my go to gun.
Old July 20, 2008, 08:50 PM   #5
IMTHDUKE

I am holding out for the SC model. Yes, they do exsist. A guy just bought one from a dealer on another forum.....I think bout 3 weeks and they will hit some stores.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old July 20, 2008, 08:55 PM   #6
kristop64089

I've been waiting, but finally gave in. The SC uses a standard "tilt-lock" barrel, as opposed to the rotating lock barrel.
Other than that it looks like a real slick shooter
Old July 20, 2008, 08:59 PM   #7
Playboypenguin

My business partner has one. They are very nice. I am anxious to see the sub-compact model
Old July 20, 2008, 09:06 PM   #8
MyGunsJammed

The SC model huh? i think i need to read up more on it.....
Old July 20, 2008, 09:12 PM   #9
kristop64089

The SC(sub-compact) appears to be an elusive little item. I have yet to hold or see one. http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_han...ettapx4_070207
Old July 20, 2008, 09:18 PM   #10
OnTheFly

I'm sorry, but someone has to say it in a post about a polymer gun...

GLOCK!

There it's done! Now that it is out of the way, I can say that the PX4 was my first, and currently, only handgun. I like it lots. Not a single hiccup after a 1,000+ rounds of various ammo ranging from quality SD to the cheap dirty stuff.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old July 21, 2008, 12:16 AM   #11
packa45

I love mine in .40, great ergos on them. My only complaint is the decocker is on the slide and hell on your hands at times as it is a little sharp. Super easy field stripping. Not the easiest to find holsters and aftermarket accessories for but not the worst either. Great gun for the price and highly overlooked by many.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.
Old July 21, 2008, 04:57 AM   #12
ChicagoTex

Quote:
Not the easiest to find holsters and aftermarket accessories for
That's been my experience aswell. Still, I thoroughly enjoy my PX4 9mm and am anticipating the SC.
Old July 21, 2008, 11:32 AM   #13
Jason_G

Quote:
I'l start by saying, for a fullsize gun it's Light, feels much lighter than my XD,M&P, Glock or HK. I don't know the specs, so this may be subjective.
I'd say that's a fair assessment. I know for a fact that they feel lighter than the USP. Seems like they were pretty comparable to the M&P's, although I didn't get to handle them back to back to make an easy comparison.

I really like the PX4. I shot the .40 and it was tamer than many 9mm's I've shot. Not that the .40 is a bear, but I could tell that the gun was very subdued in the recoil department. I was quite impressed with the accuracy as well. At first glance the pistol looks like a garden hose nozzle, but after shooting it I admit I wanted one. I'd take it over many other plastics out there. I've yet to shoot the .45 though, and if I were in the market, that's probably the one I'd get.

Jason
Old July 21, 2008, 01:58 PM   #14
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristop
And to be honest, I think the PX4, is a bit better than My HK.

That's a little premature, considering you haven't been to the range yet! The best combat trigger I've experienced was on an HK USP45 Tactical. Unbelievably good compared to my humble Ruger P90. Better than Beretta 92, Glock 34, and better than entry level 1911s.

I hope it turns out well for you though.

Nice pix!

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old July 21, 2008, 02:56 PM   #15
Saab1911

Do you know if they'll ever come with a version that has a barrel longer than
4.5 inches?

I think that a longer slide/barrel will make it look a little better proportioned.
Old July 21, 2008, 03:06 PM   #16
ChicagoTex

Quote:
Do you know if they'll ever come with a version that has a barrel longer than 4.5 inches?
Full-size PX4 is a 4" barrel, though the .45 SD has a little bit longer one, it protrudes from the slide, so the slide's the same length either way.

That said, I'm not aware of any plans for a PX4 longslide at this time, but such things are always possible where customer demand warrants.
Old July 23, 2008, 01:04 AM   #17
GroovedG19

Very nice pistol.Congrats!
Old July 23, 2008, 01:30 AM   #18
chris in va

Wow, what's the grip angle on that...85 degrees?
Old July 23, 2008, 05:40 AM   #19
kristop64089

Quote:
Not for sure. Looking at it, it appears to be. But it's natural p.o.a. is on target, don't seem to need to adjust for it.
Old July 23, 2008, 10:34 PM   #20
Jason_G

Quote:
In the hand the angle is not as severe as it looks in pictures. Like kristop said, it points very well.

Jason
Old July 30, 2008, 09:30 AM   #21
LindaR

My first gun: Beretta Storm

Bought this about 2 weeks ago, I am new at this, spent alot of time looking.Easy for me to shoot, I have small hands, etc. I learned how to field strip it this past weekend. It was so easy and I was surprised. Any recommendations on gun oils, Hoppes is the standard, but OH the smell. I have to clean her in my kitchen. Garlic and Hoppes don't mix. LindaR.
Old July 30, 2008, 01:20 PM   #22
Jason_G

Quote:
Any recommendations on gun oils, Hoppes is the standard, but OH the smell. I have to clean her in my kitchen. Garlic and Hoppes don't mix. LindaR.
Any good lube will be fine, just be careful about which solvents you use. Some of the tougher organic solvents out there will attack that plastic frame. Especially avoid anything with acetone in it.

Jason
Old July 30, 2008, 01:52 PM   #23
cerberus65

I really like my 9mm Px4 too! I had it at the range yesterday and I shot it better than either of the other two guns I took. I ripped a nice big hole out of almost the center of the target.
Old July 30, 2008, 09:58 PM   #24
MyGunsJammed

muahaha.... I want a PX4 storm collection
Old July 30, 2008, 10:10 PM   #25
Boncrayon

PX4 Storm fiberglass polymer strength

I have the PX4 Storm in 40cal. and find it most comfortable and exciting to fire on the range, bar my other class act pistols. Each is different. Each have their own elements. Note that the PX4 has a fiberglass reinforced polymer frame. It also has a rotating barrel tha reduces recoil and doesn't kick upward at each fire. The 17+1 clip is excellent. Over 500 years in manufacturing says a lot.

Tags
beretta , px4 , storm