The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2008, 06:31 PM   #1
B.N.Real

Glock Problem Thread.

If you've read,heard of or experienced a problem with a Glock semi auto,here's your thread.

Tell us your story.

No bashing allowed (,sorry had to add that)-just your real experiences please.
Old March 28, 2008, 07:37 PM   #2
allenomics

Suggestion. Limit it to personal experiences. I've own or have owned the G19, G17, G34 and G21SF...no problems. You might not have many responses.
Old March 28, 2008, 07:59 PM   #3
JimmyHoffa

Glock 19 with no problems. Plus so easy to field strip and clean.
Old March 28, 2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Never had a breakage issue with my (9) personal Glocks.

Problems I've seen with range rentals:

Glock 26: Cracked slide
Glock 32: Cracked slide.
Glock 36: Sheared lug in frame.
All: Broken trigger return springs.

Problems I've seen with customer guns:

Busted guide rods. Chipped/broken extractors. Broken trigger return springs. Cracked slides. Broken frame rails.

They're just guns. Guns are machines. Machines break.
Old March 28, 2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Alleykat

Put a few rounds through two G21s today. Friend was shooting his Kimber Compact, as well as a G21.

I shot a bunch of rounds through my G21 with the Pro Point 3 mounted, over a compensated KKM barrel. Damn Glock! Blowback from the comp fouled the front lens!

Oh, yeah, the Kimber choked; Glocks didn't.
Old March 28, 2008, 08:22 PM   #6
epic4444

true to the machines breaking comment...but these machines rarely break like my G19 no a single problem so far
Old March 28, 2008, 08:29 PM   #7
hoytinak

I had a guide rod break on my Glock 23 once, but didn't notice till I got back home from the range and took it apart to clean as it still functioned fine.
Old March 28, 2008, 09:18 PM   #8
ElectricHellfire

I thought my Glock had a FTE once but I realized I was shooting my Kimber. lol
Seriously, no problems with any Glocks so far. Don't really expect any...ever
Old March 28, 2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Hard Ball

Glock discovered in October 2002 a serious structual problem,. shorter slide rails, coupled with some poorquality steel and a machine that stamped the rails incorrectly, causing some rear rails to break off the guns. When the rail breaks, it could lock up the gun.
Glock told the FBI about this problem and quietly replaced over 700 frames. They apparently had no intention to tell their other customers about this problem. This problem affected ALL models of Glocks and TENS OF THOUSANDS OF GUNS.
They had a major recall situation on their hands, but like their famous "upgrade," this was never be called a recall. This had to be publicized to make Glock take care of their other customers and not give preference to the FBI.
It was investigated , first by the FBI's Firearms Training Unit in Quantico, Virginia, and then with Glock, Inc. which has been telling its 9mm-issuing agencies that it was only the .40 S&W pistols, due to the higher pressure, which are at risk. Although the same defect is present on all the polymer pistols, the company doesn't think the 9 x 19mm cartridge "is powerful enough" to break the rail.
Glock Inc.'s initial solution, curiously published on the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation site as opposed to the official Glock site, offered the following:

"We have made the decision that in the interest of customer service, replacement frames will be offered to anyone who has a firearm in this range ("a very small percentage of GLOCK pistols produced between September of 2001 and May of 2002") and decides to take advantage of this offer. The replacement frames will have identical serial numbers to our customer's original firearm except the numeral 1 will be added as a prefix."
_________
Old March 28, 2008, 09:38 PM   #10
XD45Sooner

My glock 19 has been great so far. I replaced the plastic guide rod because it was squeeking and annoying the hell out of me but other than that no malfunctions at all

Last edited by XD45Sooner; March 28, 2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: add model #
Old March 28, 2008, 09:41 PM   #11
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Ball
Glock has recently discovered a serious structual problem,. This shorter rail, coupled with some bad steel and a machine that stamped the rails incorrectly, causing some rear rails to break off the guns. When the rail breaks, it can lock up the gun.
That's the first time I've heard of "seven years ago" being referred to as "recently".

I love ya to death, Hard Ball, but maybe your digestion would be improved by just avoiding threads with the word "Glock" in the title?
Old March 28, 2008, 09:44 PM   #12
Hard Ball

Sorry, It was late 2002.
Old March 28, 2008, 11:48 PM   #13
HighValleyRanch

My glock problem!

I have two problems with glocks.

They multiply faster than a pair of rabbits.
I already have four now, and......

They aren't fun. You can't do anything to improve them. No grips, etc.
They just work too well to tinker with.
Old March 29, 2008, 07:29 AM   #14
Cliff123

Hi folks. Newb here, just registered. Looks like a good place to jump in.

I'm in the process of selecting a 9mm compact. Trading a Springfield UC 1911. I've been surfing a half dozen or so boards, and something curious has become quite obvious.

I was considering a Glock 26 . . . but then the S&W M&P popped up. Almost had my mind made up on the Smith.

But . . .

Like I said noticed something curious. I began to wonder how many Glock 26s, or any Glock for that matter, are in circulation. Then the M&P. I would think that there are a multitude more Glocks. However, there seems to be more problems posted for the M&P!!!

In fact, of all the boards and posts I've been through, Glock problem threads are somewhat of a rarity. And when you do see one, people are all over it.

Now I don't mean to bash the OP. These are just my observations.

So I think my mind is made up. Next week I am purchasing the Glock 26. Sure they aren't perfect. I just believe that my chances of getting one that works out of the box is much greater with the 26, than the 9c.

My Springfield is a great shooter . . . when it's not jamming or FTE. Someday I'll get another . . . just can't afford the EMP.

Sorry for the hijack. I'm just a bit excited about getting something that works. But if I do have any problems with my new 26, I'll report back here.

By the by, not a Glock owner . . . this will be my first.
Old March 29, 2008, 08:12 AM   #15
ericp

G19, no problems to date.
Old March 29, 2008, 08:20 AM   #16
1goodshot

My Glock 22 is 12 to 13 yrs old with over 20000 rounds through it. I had 1 slide stop break yrs ago and the extractor broke a couple of months ago.Its never failed to fire. Im going to go put another 2 to 3 hundred rounds through it this morning.
Well got back this morning from shooting and was cleaning my gun and somehow I broke my trigger spring. Time to order a rebuilt kit.

Last edited by 1goodshot; March 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old March 29, 2008, 08:46 AM   #17
Johnc

The only problem I have had with my 23 (in the distant past when Glock was the new kid on the block) was the laughter and comments like "what an ugly gun". My own brother verbally abused the looks of my 23. I convinced him to shoot mine. He immediately bought one. It was my primary carry gun until recently. I have enjoyed the gun for more years than I care to mention. Although many will tell you to be very cautious with reloads in a Glock, I reloaded for years. The only store bought ammo that exited this gun was SD ammo being checked for compatibility.

Yes it is ugly. That is ok with me. Mine goes bang every time, so does my brothers.
Old March 29, 2008, 09:22 AM   #18
lechiffre

the stolen one that i bought off the back of a truck at the gun show set off the metal detector at the airport.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old March 29, 2008, 09:22 AM   #19
DVC9

Glocks are well made reliable guns.

But like Tamara said they are not infallable. Since their intro, I have owned a bunch of them. Currently between the wife and I we own nine.
So I am not a Glock basher.

But I have to say that I have seen enough malfunctions with glocks as to put no more faith in them than I do in my other top shelf pistols.

I have had 3 Glocks lock up and become extremly difficult to release, took several minutes of tugging and cussing.

My wife has a Glock 26, that won't release the slide from slide lock when it is racked, but it will release if you use the slide stop.

As an instructor I have witnessed the average share of common malfs with Glocks.
Though I will say that those common malfs are more easily cleared with the Glock design than with most others.

I have had as good track record with Sigs & Berrettas as with the Glocks.

One important plus in their favor for me though is the price of their magazines.
Since many of my guns become student loaners, they are not babied.
As we know the weakest part of any autoloader are the mags. Glock mags are 50% or less the cost of the competition.
This allows shooters on a budget to have a set of dedicated practice mags.
Number them and keep track of malfs, see if their is an offending mag.
Old March 29, 2008, 09:32 AM   #20
Edward429451

My G21's problems were all reloaded ammo problems with cast lead bullets. It just did not like to feed them and there was quite a few times it did not want to light the primers until I switched to Fed primers. I used to save the rounds that jammed in the Glock to the side and fill a 1911 mag with them and the Colt would eat em right up.

Thats it. No parts breakage with it. I know that Glocks aren't supposed to shoot lead bullets but that is hogwash for a gun that espouses perfection.

Edited to add: In fairness let me say that my G21 has never jammed on me with any factory ammo. I don't put a lot of factory through it, mostly old hydra shocks when I rotate ammo and some factory ball once in awhile.

Last edited by Edward429451; March 29, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old March 29, 2008, 09:32 AM   #21
trigger happy

I put off owning a Glock for years, but then I shot one, liked it, bought one, then another

you get the idea
Old March 29, 2008, 10:03 AM   #22
127gr+p+

Not a huge Glock fan, but Ive always tried to like them. I always end up selling them off.

Out of the ones Ive owned(two 17's and a 19), Ive never had any type of malfunction or jam. They were all 100%.
Old March 29, 2008, 10:57 AM   #23
Alleykat

Quote:
My wife has a Glock 26, that won't release the slide from slide lock when it is racked, but it will release if you use the slide stop
Whatever's wrong is a fifteen-second fix, for anybody who knows anything much about Glocks. Chances are, the slide stop spring is incorrectly installed.
Old March 29, 2008, 11:10 AM   #24
Glockeroo

5 years and no problems with Glocks.
Old March 29, 2008, 01:41 PM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

Bought a used G17L awhile back. The tip of the recoil spring guide rod would bind on the front of the slide when the gun cycled. I finally fixed it by installing an extended guide rod that was long enough that the tip was already past the binding point.

I've had a plastic front sight loosen from holster wear.

That's about it, mine have held up pretty well.