The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 4, 2009, 09:08 PM   #26
Swampghost

I own 140+ of Louis L'Amour's books. The first thing to remember is that he was primarily a writer. He had many life experiences, no doubt, but he was a writer.

As such, going into too much detail can overtake the storyline and bore readers. My take is that he had friends that were into guns that he relied on for info. I have a couple of friends that are authors and they hit me up a few times a year about guns, boats, the swamp........
Old May 4, 2009, 10:16 PM   #27
mykeal

Pohill - ignore him. We all know his problem. He intentionally posts provocative material with the sole intention of getting a response. The best thing to do is just ignore him and he'll go away eventually.
Old May 5, 2009, 01:36 AM   #28
gmatov

Hey, PO,

I have talked to you elsewhere, like VOY, and for some years. I would sooner listen to you than to the illustrious Captain Crossman.

And I don't really like you as you are a MA or VE or NH resident. Should that VE be VT? A cop actually, and you have to go to the next state to buy a pistol.

Nah, gotta be MA to be taboo.

Cheers,

George
Old May 5, 2009, 01:53 AM   #29
TheRogue

It is hard for me to accept that Louis L'amour has been found to be fallible.

Before such a heinous accusation can be brought, I believe we owe him the due diligence he deserves and has rightfully earned...
Old May 5, 2009, 02:21 AM   #30
Smokin_Gun

Louis was not wrong ... I have an 1851 Navy .44 cal in my hand as we speak... So rest easy Louis L. has not been disproven :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 5, 2009, 02:35 PM   #31
Gomezy3k

Back when I was a kid I loved westerns but when I got older and learned about guns and history, I got so I hated reading or watching westerns on TV or movies. The guns and clothes were just not accurate.

I came across Louis L'Amour and found his novels to be much better than most. What got me was you rarely read about anyone reloading their C&B revolvers while in a gunfight... Lots of shooting but little reloading LOL...

As for movies, it hasn't been until the last few years when they actually tried to be accurate in the guns they show being used... Even then some are a bit questionable...

LOL Another thing I always hated was how the hero in the novel or movie was always so noble. They rarely attacked the main villain directly.. Heck if it were me and some big ranch owner or bad guy was sending his thugs out, I would just go wait for the main bad guy and off him... Nothing like a rifle shot from cover to take care of problems... situation solved... LOL...
Old May 5, 2009, 06:40 PM   #32
Indian Outlaw

I feel bad for starting this thread. Shoulda kept my "mouth" shut, me thinks.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:18 AM   #33
gmatov

Gomez,

You might be surprised to know that the law was at LEAST as tenacious back then as it is now. Hudson Bay Company spent LOTS of time in court.

You did NOT just go shoot someone who ****** you off. YOU would be the jailee.

L'Amour, like Heinlien and a few others, got religion in their last years. I don't know why they have to repent when they feel they are mortal.

L'Amour went with the Walking Drum and ... I gotta go dig them out to see what his mortality books were.

One of his best was "Bendigo Shafter", ALL about how people 150 years ago spent their evenings.NOT watching TV.

Selleck, and Eastwood movies are close on firearms of the period. Selleck has fought Rosie Odonnel about whether people should be allowed to OWN firearms, and I think all of you should give him a rousing cheer for being one of us.

Rosie is FAMOUS for trying to outlaw guns in anybody's hands except for hers and other rich people whose kids MIGHT be kidnap bait. THEY hire armed guards to protect them. "Take the bullet." Cowardly [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]. Pay some poor sumbitch to take a bullet for them.

BUT, YOU should not be allowed to own any type of firearm , because, "THINK of the CHILDREN. If even ONE life is saved, it would be worth it." XX thou people killed by all methods, and IF ONE does not get shot, it will be all worth ALL of you foregoing all them stinking firearms.

Cheers,

George