The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 20, 2001, 08:32 PM   #1
Gewehr98

Odd headstamp on 8mm brass

Not a gun, but a piece of brass I found the other day. It's 8mm Mauser (7.92mm), but it's BOXER primed, and has a "44" mark, along with the "7.92" and "MM". So who was making boxer primed brass for this European round, perhaps around 1944? See the pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8mmboxerbrass.jpg (8.9 KB, 81 views)

Neural Misfires
Old November 21, 2001, 12:01 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Canadian, made for the British, who used the 8mm in their Besa tank machinegun.

Jim
Old November 22, 2001, 01:00 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

According to my "Military Small Caliber Identificaiton Guide," published by Rhino, that mark is unidentified.

It's not in White & Munhall.

Where did you come up with your information, Jim?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 23, 2001, 12:22 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I got that from Interarms, when they sold a few tons of it. I have a batch. It is non-corrosive by the way. I said "Canadian" because I am not sure of the actual maker, but I think it was made by Dominion (ICI). Why they didn't use their normal headstamp I don't know.

Maybe some of the puzzlement is that many folks don't realize the British ever used the 8mm and think it is some sort of sneak ammo.

Ammo that is sometimes called Canadian, but which is not, is that .30-'06 with CN and BN headstamps that was made at Frankford for the CIA at the time of the Bay of Pigs; it was packed in 5 rd Springfield clips, in bandoliers. The Cuban invaders were issued M1's and had to repack it themselves. Because they are small stature, the ammo is lightly loaded and a delight to shoot.

Jim