The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2013, 07:03 PM   #1
valleyforge.1777

Question about Mid-South Shooters Supply

I see that Mid-South Shooters Supply will allow a backorder for reloading supplies that are currently out of stock. My question is do they charge your credit card right away or do they wait to charge the card until they ship the order to you?

Thanks!

Ps. I heard an interview with Dirt King, the President of the company on the Gun Guy Radio podcast. It was really interesting, and it sounds like a great company to do business with. They never did explain how he got his nickname, "Dirt" but apparently he's had it for a long time.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Swampman1

Generally its not charged until the item ships out to you.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Rford09

They won't charge your card until they ship your items. I have ordered a few things from them and they have been a real pleasure to deal with. When you call them a real live person will even answer the phone!!! I will tell you though I ordered primers from mid south back in the beginning of february, they had a expected ship date of February 19th. Since then the date has been pushed back several times and right now it is saying April 26th. So it's just a waiting game, and since I have no other options I just keep waiting.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Crashbox

What Swampman1 said.

As far as backorders go, it may take a long time to complete it but Midsouth has always come through for me, even when I had to wait about six months or so.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Gadawg88

I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from them and have always been pleased. Good prices and quick delivery, when in stock, and fair shipping costs.
See the following for the real dirt:
http://www.americanrifleman.org/m-ar...id=1709&cid=10
Old April 10, 2013, 11:02 AM   #6
LarryFlew

DITTO - great to deal with, good product and won't charge you 'till it ships.
Old April 10, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
FtrPilot

Based on my personal experience, they do not charge your credit card until the items are shipped.

I am most impressed with the fact that they have not increased their prices. I plan to buy all of my shooting/reloading supplies from them in the future.
Old April 10, 2013, 12:18 PM   #8
David Bachelder

Rford is exactly right. They are a standup company and a pleasure to deal with.

I had a Hornady LNL and many acessories on backorder there since the end of October, didn't expect delivery till first of July. They did not charge my card until they were ready to ship. I saw that they charged the card yesterday, so I know I'll get a shipping notice soon, very soon.

I have dealt with them many times and never a dissapointment. Not to mention they have better pricing than most retailers.

I do all the business I can with them.

Midsouth Shooter Supply

Last edited by David Bachelder; April 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old April 10, 2013, 12:58 PM   #9
mikld

Mid-South is my go-to reloading equipment/molds/bullets vendor. A very close second is Graf & Sons. Or the other way around. Sometimes it's just whose catalog I pick up first!
Old April 10, 2013, 08:26 PM   #10
huntinaz

I have not ordered from them via backorder, but I did order some stuff for a good price when the panic was in full swing. This was a non-panic item, some .500" pistol bullets. Anyway, it shipped in a day or two. Couldn't believe it. And shipping was reasonable. They'll get more of my business
Old April 10, 2013, 09:39 PM   #11
LakeCruiser

Thumbs Up!

I've placed a few orders from them and all has always gone well. Pricing has always been very good. I will do business with them again.
Old April 10, 2013, 10:01 PM   #12
Capybara

Like 'em a lot, bought powder, primers and some other things from them. Fast shipping, good prices, they had it in stock, what's not to like?
Old April 11, 2013, 05:16 AM   #13
rebs

They are a great company to deal with, they charge your card when the item is shipped. They have had a slight increase in some prices, but no gouging on price or shipping. I have ordered from them a lot.
Old April 11, 2013, 08:36 PM   #14
Mobuck

I just received 6K of .224 bullets I'd had on BO for months. I also have lots of primers on BO with them to lock in a price.
They usually contact you to make sure you still want the product before charging your card and shipping.
Old April 20, 2013, 05:29 AM   #15
uptickk

I am a little bummed they removed their estimated in-stock dates on their site as I used that to help me determine if I wanted to wait for a particular item. Other than that I am a big fan.
Old April 20, 2013, 09:46 AM   #16
higgite

FWIW, from Midsouth's FAQ page:
Quote:
What is that extra charge or credit on my card?

At the time your order is placed (emphasis added) we retrieve only enough money from your credit card to initially cover the merchandise and the "estimated shipping cost" which is computer generated. Only when the items are pulled from the shelf, put in a box with packing protection and wrapped, the actual shipping weight is known. At that time the order is invoiced, and depending whether the estimate was high or low, we either issue a credit or seek the additional funds. Please note that the estimated shipping cost might become inaccurate if the order contains big items that need to be shipped in multiple boxes. If in doubt, please give us a call and our friendly phone staff will be happy to assist you with any questions.
I have only ordered from Midsouth 3 times, and they all shipped the same day, so credit card charges weren't a problem. The quoted policy may only apply to in-stock items. They may waive it for out of stock items, I don't know. I will continue to order from them unless and until they charge my card and don't deliver. I really don't see that happening, though. They are great to deal with. ymmv