The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 22, 2013, 10:43 PM   #26
Shotput79

When using a bp rifle as a "brush gun" I rebuilt a TC 50 cal NewEnglander. It's light weight and good for up to 100 yrds. I do have one TC 50 cal inline left. I like it. You can load and reload it pretty fast. I don't see anything wrong with using the inlines I have a lot of fun shooting this one. I never put a scope on this one I like the open sights on it in the woods better right handi rifles. My go to " brush gun" smokless powder rifle is the old 35 cal model 336 still a good rifle up to about 200 yrds. All depends on the kind of loads used.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:22 AM   #27
BerdanSS

Sneak peak. Couldn't help myself, saw rifle laying around with tools on a quiet Saturday morning....I had to do something!

23'' barrel down to 18", muzzle squared and ready for crowning, weird "tooth" that was jabbing my hand behind the trigger guard removed. Ram rod cut and end re attached.

Old February 23, 2013, 11:30 AM   #28
deerslayer303

Well that looks pretty cool! But uh oh! Do you now have a SBR??
Old February 23, 2013, 11:38 AM   #29
BerdanSS

LOL...hmm, Black powder SBR? That might be kinda cool....Then figure out how to have a can work on it!

I measured from the inside of the barrel from the back of the breech to the muzzle. 18" on the nose And well over 26" overall.

You've got me thinking though....do the length regulations for cartridge rifles apply to black powder (since they technically aren't recognized as a firearm?) I would assume they still do.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:46 AM   #30
BerdanSS

Thinking about glass filling the checkering and then stippling it to make it fit the style of the rifle better?
Old February 23, 2013, 01:23 PM   #31
Doc Hoy

Okay, Berdan...

Voila....Brush gun.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:00 PM   #32
BerdanSS

Now where'd I put that surefire, green laser and illuminated mil-dot scope just kidding
Old February 23, 2013, 02:41 PM   #33
deerslayer303

^^ Don't forget the quad rail, with flash light, toothy muzzle brake, folding knife bayonet, and last but not least a colapsable stock, then YOU TOO Sir can be all
Old February 23, 2013, 03:40 PM   #34
BerdanSS

LOL

It's getting iron sights guys...no tacticool accessories It will be getting camo though, I'm thinking the McMillan original M40 pattern in snow colors. I think I might creakote the barrel also.....McMillan Grey or maybe Tungsten.

also thinking about doing my own markings on top of the barrel in front of the action.

<Edit> Well the barrel is completely finished, and it just got shot with it's first coat of McMillan Grey.

Settled on the camo too, the stock just got shot with the base coat. It's going to look like this feller here when it's done (Not probably everyone's cup of tea)

I think it will be nice when it's finished, and should blend well with the environment I hunt in.

Last edited by BerdanSS; February 24, 2013 at 07:57 PM.