The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2012, 07:07 PM   #1
chris in va

$100 for a chronograph

Suggestions please. Time I finally get one.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Beta Chrony would do fine. That's what I have.

If I bought one today, I'd save up and get CED.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Creeper

+1 for Shooting Chrony Beta. Cheap, reliable, easy to set up, reasonably accurate... and they increase both knowledge and fun.
When you're ready, you can always sell the SC-B for a small loss and step up to a more professionally featured item like the CED M2.

Cheers,
C
Old August 17, 2012, 08:01 PM   #4
springer99

I have an old F-1 Chrony that I picked up around 10 years ago, and it's still running fine. It doesn't have the most "user friendly" menu, but it does work well, is very repeatable, and I've used it indoors and out without problems.

I'm sure there are other mfg. with better interfaces, and more "bells and whistles", but I've never had a need for anything better.
Old August 17, 2012, 08:16 PM   #5
jr05

Prochrono Digital. I have been very pleased with mine.
Old August 18, 2012, 07:30 PM   #6
HJ857

This is a perfectly good unit. Decent price. You can often get it at Walmart.com too with very cheap shipping.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/531...f1-chronograph

However, you really have to have the remote. If you don't have it, you can't access shot strings, deviation, spread and average numbers. It's pretty easy to make one yourself, just google it for instructions - I recall that it's just a single pole/single throw switch with a 3 pole mini plug.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/286...vc=sugv1531741
Old August 18, 2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

Get a two-part chronograph

Definitely get one where the control/readout unit can be kept on the shooting bench. It is easier to read and safe from stray bullets

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43&m=446105658

If you get a Chrony, the Master Chronys have the sensor unit separated from the control unit by a telephone-like cable (but a telephone cable won't work) and my sensor unit wears armor.

Good luck

Lost Sheep
Old August 18, 2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Clark

1) I bought a shooting chrony for $80.
I shot a hole in it with a handgun.
It only triggered half the time anyway.

2) I bought a shooting chrony for $80.
It only triggered half the time anyway.

3) I bought a Pro Chrono for $100.
It always triggered.

4) I bought a Pro Chrono for $100.
I only shot rifles over it and it has lasted years.
It always triggers.

Update: I have started shooting handguns over the chronograph again. But I shoot a group first to verify that I have the control with that handgun to not shoot the chronograph. Before I got ~ 10 shots before I hit the chrono. I now have 14 handgun velocities recorded and no chrono hits yet
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 18, 2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Shootest

What is the best chrono w/light system to get for indoor use?
Old August 19, 2012, 07:09 AM   #10
springer99

"What is the best chrono w/light system to get for indoor use?"

Which-ever chrony you plan to use, plus one of these clipped to the ceiling.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...&storeId=10051
Old August 19, 2012, 07:21 AM   #11
testuser

Pro Chrono

https://www.competitionelectronics.c...mart&Itemid=79

The shooting area on these is very wide, which means fewer errors and a much lower likelihood of shooting the chronograph. They are also made in the USA and sold through all of the major distributors, like Midway.
Old August 19, 2012, 06:09 PM   #12
tobnpr

Bought a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master last month, no complaints...only two trips to the range with it, but it has not failed to register a shot yet.

It's a little cheaper than the Beta, just (near as I can tell) won't hold data for multiple strings. Still has the remote display...
Old August 20, 2012, 11:24 AM   #13
rclark

F1 Chrony. Been working just great for thousands of shots. Just did a sum() on the shots column in my load spreadsheet on Saturday... 4725 shots over chrony to be exact. And probably a few more that I never logged....

Forgot to add it folds nice and very easy to setup on a tripod. Very compact and easy to read from 10-15 feet. Have it stuffed in my range bag.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; August 21, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old August 20, 2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Arub

Have no experience with the others, but the Pro Chrono has served me well. Have had no issues with it as long as I respect a minimum distance of 10 feet from the muzzle. Never had a problem with changing overhead lighting with it - seems to work regardless of lighting conditions.
Old August 20, 2012, 08:38 PM   #15
osageid

I have the prochrono pal and seems to work well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old August 20, 2012, 10:00 PM   #16
ROGER4314

I have a vintage Oehler 33 Chronograph that I've had for about 25 years. I like the Oehler because the sky screens are separate from the computer and connected by cables. As several have stated, it's real easy to blast the computer. I my case, I just lose a screen.

I set my screens into a framework of wood 3 feet long then use saw horses to support the screen frame. At the forward end of that frame, I have a 3x5" plate of 1/4" steel plate angled upwards. There are several lead streaks showing that the plate saved the sky screens on numerous occasions.

This may also help.......... I installed a large clip on the rear of my sky screen frame. I always clip a target to that fastener to provide an aim point. It worked fairly well!

Flash
Old August 20, 2012, 10:06 PM   #17
tkglazie

I 2nd the Chrony F1 from Walmart for $71 delivered.

I can speak from personal experience when I say that if you have a flinch and shoot the chrony there is a good chance it will survive.

Mine did
Old August 21, 2012, 06:25 PM   #18
griff383

Pro Chrono, it works very well and isnt too picky about light and all that (outside).

The only complaint I have is that the head unit is attached to the whole kit n kaboodle. You can get kits for a laptop which is really nice but I dont like dragging my computer out to the range.
Old August 24, 2012, 09:52 AM   #19
Edward429451

I've had two F1s. Both were no good. Oh they recorded shots well, but I shot the first one with a Glaser Safety Slug in 45 and we all know they're crap, so the F1 should have survived. The second one was with A FA 22 Mini-Revo and 22s are weak enough out of a long barrel so it should have survived the hit from an 1-1/8" barrel.

I use a Master now with the remote brain and telephone cord. This one will be cheaper to get going again when I hit it again with some wimpy round. It costs slightly more, but less than the difference in buying a whole new unit so I suggest the Master for you. Not that I think you will shoot it, but...things happen. Wrap some elec tape about a foot up the rods for reference, both sides. Seems to help me.
Old August 24, 2012, 08:59 PM   #20
Lost Sheep

Edward429451, my Chrony wears armor. Two pieces of channel iron, one between the sensors and one angled in front of the unit.

The iron is tough enough to take a hit from a 500 S&W full power (it left a slightly shiny spot, but no dent). A hit might knock the whole thing over, but there is no chance a bullet will get into the works.

The iron wasn't cheap ($40-$50 after I paid to have it cut to fit), but good insurance.

Lost Sheep
Old August 25, 2012, 08:50 AM   #21
Edward429451

Cheaper than a new unit too!.
You hit it with a 500? dang...I don't feel so bad now lol. Didn't it still sweep it over, off the table or whatnot? Or is the armor freestanding away from the chrony somehow?
Old August 27, 2012, 09:45 PM   #22
Colorado Redneck

Rclark---That is funny

Have an F1. Shot one of the shade rods with a 357. Lost the rod, but the chrony survived perfectly. Got some copper tube the proper diameter and made replacement rods our of that, since it is lots softer and should be more forgiving if I hit one of them again.

The readout is great, it works well on a camera tripod, and if I do hit it hard with the 44 mag or something it ain't much of a loss.
Old August 28, 2012, 03:45 AM   #23
1stmar

I use an older molder pact, mk iii or iv and an hp printer. I love it. It has some great features including being a timer as well. I like separating the sky screens from the chrono, I had a chrony, it worked fine but it to was shot by a friend and his 45, it did not survive.
Old August 28, 2012, 02:32 PM   #24
Sevens

I bought a Shooting Chrony Beta Master at the beginning of summer and I've had it out a handful of times and logged a lot of data from it.

I am a chrono rookie, but I still have my opinions -- please keep in mind that anyone that has used multiple chronographs and/or chrono'd their stuff for many years has it all over my experience level, so know that I come from an inexperienced spot when I review this device.

First off is that the interface and instructions are horrendous. I'm not an idiot, I'm sure of this, but the way it operates and the functions you access and most definitely the instructions seem to be cutting edge for about 1985. It's hard for me to more accurately explain what I mean here, but you've got a little brain that can do a zillion things and it's all controlled by like three buttons.

There aren't many consumer electronic devices anywhere left on the market that you can purchase with such a limited, obnoxious interface as what I'm using with this chrono.

Another quite valid complaint is that you have 10 shots in a string MAXIMUM and there is no getting around that. The only way to compute SD in any string longer than 10 shots is to record the velocities for each shot manually and enter them in to an excel spreadsheet with the proper mathematical formula.

The instructions themselves (and anyone who does any manner of serious testing) points out quickly that 3 shots or 5 shots is not a solid base for serious data -- then the unit limits you to 10. That's wholly aggravating.

Certainly, I can see that a load isn't going to be a sweetheart in 10 shots if the velocities are all over the map. But when I get great returns in a 10 shot string, the only rational move at that point (in my opinion) is to give it a 20 or 25 shot string and let it continue to prove itself. Who is with me?!

I'm also annoyed at the way the unit is packaged. Ever buy one of those "put it together yourself" pieces of furniture and as you unpack it, you wonder how any human could ever possibly get it all back in to the box if they were tasked with that? So is the Shooting Chrony -- they make this great little unit that folds in half but there's no way the hardware you need to use with it could possibly fit inside that unit and even using the original box it shipped in is pure folly. When you unpack it for the first time you wonder if there is a serious cardboard shortage in Canada.

Those are my complaints and to me, they are quite valid.

Here's the pluses:
Setup & shoot is quick, you don't dink around, you are rolling in short order.

It measures EVERY shot for me and never misses, and it doesn't give me false or bad readings. I can take lousy loads and get consistent, wild results, but when I pull out a damn good load and fire it over the traps, I get the same, expected, repeatable great results. I have no doubt that it's doing exactly what it is supposed to do, and accurately.

Given my review, I'm sticking with this unit because I'm frugal and I own this and it works. I liked the price and I am confident that it does a fine job measuring the speed of all the bullets I send over it.

If I end up putting a hole in it, I'll have to consider what the parts cost -- I did buy the Master version so the "brains" sit on the bench, not downrange.

If I otherwise lost it and were in the market for a chronograph, I have no doubt that I'd be trying something different.

I do love the pretty blue paint color of this unit. Oh, and just for laughs, I ordered mine from Natchez and in the e-mail invoice and the printed invoice in the shipment, it was listed both times as the "Chrony Master Beta", which still brings the Beavis & Butthead in me to a little pube-age giggle every time.
Old August 28, 2012, 04:11 PM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with you, Sevens. I gave up on using the extra features of my Beta Chrony. I use it for shot speed and if I want SD or ES, I do the calculation separately. I can figure out how to use just about anything but I could never figure out if I was pushing the wrong buttons or the Chrony just didn't work right.

Still, for the $75 or whatever it was, it does what I needed at the time.

(I'd still rather buy the CED)