The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 17, 2013, 12:52 PM   #26
Jo6pak

I didn't really think anyone took that phrase to be gospel. It's just kind of a tongue-in-cheek saying.

Me thinks you may be taking things too literally
Old November 17, 2013, 01:15 PM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

Unfortunately, the gun world does lead to dichotomous, black and white thinking. New folks spout these kind of phrases as gospel.

How many cliches to we get posted all the time?

Oh, my old mommy who weighs 95 pounds and has arthritis wants a SD gun.

ANS: Twelve gauge pistol grip - ENUF SAID!
Old November 17, 2013, 01:49 PM   #28
boondocker385

I have had my rifle with me at a latrine....and while showering.... just saying.

But in the good old USA walking around with a rifle in the mean streets of anytown USA will get you proned out at a minimum....
Old November 17, 2013, 02:01 PM   #29
RBid

Quote:
Unfortunately, the gun world does lead to dichotomous, black and white thinking. New folks spout these kind of phrases as gospel.

How many cliches to we get posted all the time?

Oh, my old mommy who weighs 95 pounds and has arthritis wants a SD gun.

ANS: Twelve gauge pistol grip - ENUF SAID!
Exactly.

I managed an LGS for about a year from the second half of 2012 until June 2013. During that time, I ran into misunderstood or abused phrases on a daily basis. Most of the time, they were used in an attempt to support some individual's broken idea of what defensive situations look like. Most commonly, they seemed designed to rationalize lazy and thoughtless ownership by the user.
Old November 17, 2013, 08:24 PM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

They are also used to posture and pretend you are part of the bad guy fraternity of steely eyed dealers of death (thanks Greg Hamilton for the phrase).

At a match yesterday - two LEOs were talking about mag placement on their duty belts. One wanted to carry one more beyond the usual two.

So a guy who is always about 18 points down on a stage and takes about a century to finish - says to them - What about a New York Reload?

Give me a break. How about an extra roscoe in your pants.
Old November 19, 2013, 02:33 PM   #31
gotthegoods

I understand most civillian gunfights are at 1 - 2 arms length distances, which is uncomfortably much closer than the 7 yard LEO reported average gunfight distance.

Fight your way to your rifle / shotgun? As Hiker mentioned: in your Jason Statham / Xbox world - absolutely.

Since I live in reality, where exactly am I traveling and who am I interacting with to "need" my rifle?

Don't go stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things...
Old November 19, 2013, 07:54 PM   #32
Jo6pak

It's true that in the real world, the pistol is most likely your only line of recourse against aggression.

But in a "SHTF, world falling down around me" scenario you'd better bet that my handgun is only a means of getting to a longarm.

Agreed, anything short of that, it's a gimmicky catch-phrase.

Of course, I also use the terms scattergun and wheelgun on occasion just because I enjoy colorful language.
Old November 19, 2013, 10:42 PM   #33
RBid

Realism and the pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo6pak View Post
It's true that in the real world, the pistol is most likely your only line of recourse against aggression.

But in a "SHTF, world falling down around me" scenario you'd better bet that my handgun is only a means of getting to a longarm.
Actually, long guns have only been used for static location (home, business, etc) defense in the vast majority of modern examples of SHTF. People don't carry them around. Concealed handguns remain the best option in SHTF scenarios short of post apocalyptic chaos fantasy.
Old November 19, 2013, 11:03 PM   #34
Evan Thomas

Just a reminder -- we don't do SHTF discussions here. Let's not go any farther down that road.
Old November 20, 2013, 08:19 AM   #35
skoro

Realism and the pistol.

Quote:
"A pistol is used to fight your way to a rifle."
I've seen that quote often over the years.

It makes sense if one is in Iraq or Afghanistan and finds himself separated from his rifle by a short distance. Or if a LEO can get back to his rifle in the patrol car.

For the rest of us, it just doesn't apply.
Old November 20, 2013, 09:43 PM   #36
Frank Ettin
Staff

Sigh....

The whole point of the cliche, IMHO, is to underscore the reality that a handgun may not be the best choice when (1) you have a choice; and (2) things are serious. Nothing more, and nothing less.

There's the story about the Sheriff who goes to the fancy garden party. The hostess goes up to him and says, " Sheriff, I see you're wearing your sidearm. Are you expecting trouble? At my party?"

The Sheriff replies, "Why no ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I'd be carrying a rifle."

I don't see anything is to be gained by over-thinking this.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 21, 2013, 10:05 AM   #37
southjk

Quote:
The Sheriff replies, "Why no ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I'd be carrying a rifle."
That's going into my rolodex of responses.
Old November 21, 2013, 03:36 PM   #38
pilpens

It is a matter of perspective.

If your are in war, a rifle will most likely be a better firearm. So, a handgun is a secondary firearm. A person in war stuck with a handgun is/should be looking for the first available rifle to be more effective. In this case, "...fighting to a rifle ..." may apply.

I can imagine a scenario where an LEO may need/want to have a rifle instead of a handgun while in combat. In this case, "...fighting to a rifle ..." may apply.

If you are a civilian in a mall defending yourself from a person running amok, "...fighting to a rifle ..." does not apply. Unless you keep a rifle in a baby stroller.

I can also imagine being attack by zombies and I am running out of handgun ammo.
Old November 21, 2013, 05:46 PM   #39
Buzzcook

The OP is indulging in a "straw Man" argument.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I seriously doubt that people who use that phrase are suggesting that they always have a rifle near by which they can get to in a fire fight. I also doubt that they are implying that a handgun is a negligible tool for self defense.

I'd like to suggest that it is a humorous statement reflecting the desire to have the biggest weapon possible should the deed arise.
Old November 23, 2013, 07:59 PM   #40
jglsprings

Quote:
Buzzcook

The OP is indulging in a "straw Man" argument.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I seriously doubt that people who use that phrase are suggesting that they always have a rifle near by which they can get to in a fire fight. I also doubt that they are implying that a handgun is a negligible tool for self defense.

I'd like to suggest that it is a humorous statement reflecting the desire to have the biggest weapon possible should the deed arise.
Buzzcook, I could not agree more.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Saavik: Humor. It is a difficult concept. It is not logical.

Kirk: We learn by doing.
Humor is not often found on the internet or discussion forums. Because most people aren't funny.

jglsprings

Commas save lives...
Old November 23, 2013, 08:06 PM   #41
Frank Ettin
Staff

Sigh.

Well I for one have had enough of this one.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread